Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #226
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6806goats View Post
I was all hot to buy a BMW car and a bike until I went to the respective forums. Engine reliability and high maintenance costs took me out of the car/suv aspect (still wonder how a X5 diesel would work out).

Differential problems on the bikes took me off that list. I don't really trust German engineering any more. Fine tech but it's over done to the point that leasing one is the only option and I don't lease. I think the Swiss said it correctly. If it can be built with 1 component, the Germans will use 3.

Kinda limits the field to USA or Japanese.
Actually, I disagree, the best vehicle I have owned for reliability have been BMW. Second best Toyota. The problem is really the very shall I dare say affluent or 1%er's, well versed in computers who search google and complain. Squeeky wheel if you will. I'm sure there are more engine failures in the Ford Focus than a BMW M3. Every failure was fixed with a 5yr 100,000 mile warranty. Thats license to steel right there.

Just as I suppose these Pentastar failures are happening, it has been shown to be in a very small window, right now three months of 2011. that fits perfectly with an engine problem in the BMW 10 years ago. Somebody on the line screwed something up until someone noticed the problem, and fixed it.

I don't know the real cause of the ticking, but over time we'll know, and it will be fixed. yep, sucks if it is yours, but thats why we have warranties and roadside assist.

73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #227
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
This is an overhead cam engine so I would have to say the castings are different.
Actually not sure tho. Cam orientation may not make a difference. Oiling ports, cooling ports, etc.. may cause them to be left/right only. My point is, if they are interchangeable, then the idea that a batch of bad heads could be the issue.
Anyone with both sides making noise? Just playing process of elimination.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #228
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Could be the left side is made in a small villa in mexico and the right side is made in New Jersey !!!!
DavidJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #229
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJeep
Could be the left side is made in a small villa in mexico and the right side is made in New Jersey !!!!
Or... Santas elves weren't happy with paying more for healthcare so they drilled holes in them in protest. Damn unions!!
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #230
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Or... Santas elves weren't happy with paying more for healthcare so they drilled holes in them in protest. Damn unions!!
I hate to think that LIJEEP but you could be onto something very possible !!!
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #231
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJeep View Post
I hate to think that LIJEEP but you could be onto something very possible !!!
Sign of the times my friend. Sign of the times...
Unread 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #232
Duncit

Dang, just saw this thread for the first time (yeah, I know it's been around awhile). My '12 Unlimited Rubicon ticks. I was thinking to myself that it probably needed higher octane, but this is a little more concerning. Just had it at the dealership for it's 8K last week. I'll pop the hood tonight and try to assess whether or not I should take it back in.

Dunc
Duncit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #233
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncit View Post
Dang, just saw this thread for the first time (yeah, I know it's been around awhile). My '12 Unlimited Rubicon ticks. I was thinking to myself that it probably needed higher octane, but this is a little more concerning. Just had it at the dealership for it's 8K last week. I'll pop the hood tonight and try to assess whether or not I should take it back in.

Dunc
Rattles under load, or ticks when idling? Octane won't help the latter.
Unread 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #234
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

So, how much ticking are we talking about? When the engine is cold, it's ticks like a timebomb. Picks up speed as the rpms go up. Sounds really loud now that I have the soft doors on. Doesn't matter if it's cold or warm outside.
After a minute or so, it doesn't tick anymore.
Is this what we are talking about?

Dan
Unread 04-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #235
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine has ticked from day 1. The door label says built 7-11. I have over 6K miles and I am not really worried about it. I 20 mpg in a lifted 2 door highway. So if it is a bad tick its not really showing anything. I have not had a check engine light or any indication of problems..... just an annoying tick. I have found the fastest fix it to turn the radio knob to the right. haha

All joking aside I will take mine into the dealer and see what they say. Im not worried about it. Hell let the damn thing blow up I have an 85K mile warranty. At least my first complaint will be on paper.

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!! ~bluegrassguitar
BlueLesPaul2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #236
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, mine was great when I got it. 850 miles later, and when I put it under any load it sounds like a header leak. Will be calling the dealer Monday. So much for the build date idea.
zolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #237
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolon View Post
Well, mine was great when I got it. 850 miles later, and when I put it under any load it sounds like a header leak. Will be calling the dealer Monday. So much for the build date idea.
I thought it was safe to buy after a January build date !!!!!! Good Luck Zolon
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #238
AZBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJeep View Post
I thought it was safe to buy after a January build date !!!!!! Good Luck Zolon
Apparently not, but just curious - where did you hear that?
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #239
zolon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob

Apparently not, but just curious - where did you hear that?
From the posts here, it seemed to be a trend in the fall build dates.
zolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #240
SeaKing

The Light

Got my 2012 Rubi back today, no light but let's just say I am not holding my breath. I ordered mine 19 Dec 2011 and it was built in Feb 2012 delivered 22 Feb. Not sure how that links to the thread, but also don't know how many engines were on the shelf. They replaced the oil pump and checked all the nozzles. Will keep the thread informed.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.