Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:36 AM   #211
6806goats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bagram, Afghanistan
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
I owned a 2002 BMW M3 that had engines blowing up at about 5000 miles and our website identified the build dates to be in a three month range. We identified that the failure rate was 1000% higher than expected, and resulted in about 25 per 100 motors failing. It took over two years for BMW to come out and admit the problem (bad lower bearings) and fix the motors.
I was all hot to buy a BMW car and a bike until I went to the respective forums. Engine reliability and high maintenance costs took me out of the car/suv aspect (still wonder how a X5 diesel would work out).

Differential problems on the bikes took me off that list. I don't really trust German engineering any more. Fine tech but it's over done to the point that leasing one is the only option and I don't lease. I think the Swiss said it correctly. If it can be built with 1 component, the Germans will use 3.

Kinda limits the field to USA or Japanese.

__________________
Retired USN now working in Iraq but home is in SE Idaho. CANCELED First Jeep. 2012 Deep cherry red Rubicon, black dual top and fenders, auto w/ 4.10 gears
Well maybe next year or 2014. Bring us a diesel and we'll talk.
6806goats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #212
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6806goats View Post
I was all hot to buy a BMW car and a bike until I went to the respective forums. Engine reliability and high maintenance costs took me out of the car/suv aspect (still wonder how a X5 diesel would work out).

Differential problems on the bikes took me off that list. I don't really trust German engineering any more. Fine tech but it's over done to the point that leasing one is the only option and I don't lease. I think the Swiss said it correctly. If it can be built with 1 component, the Germans will use 3.

Kinda limits the field to USA or Japanese.
I completely agree regarding the german engineering part. Though I do respect their innovation and technological aspect, they are not very reliable on the every day driver. I've had a number of Jetta's, a Mini, and my sister has had BMW's... and I will say that we all had problems with them. Now i know that every car or truck can and wil have issues, but the problems with these in particular should NOT be happening considering they are not cheap to buy as well as repair. I have a better feeling with American cars and trucks now.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #213
chrisjsmith4
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Posts: 512
Back on track please.
__________________
Capability wrapped in AWESOMENESS!!!
chrisjsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #214
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4 View Post
Back on track please.
Really? I think this thread is pretty much done considering we know what the cause and fix is.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #215
AZBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Really? I think this thread is pretty much done considering we know what the cause and fix is.
Don't keep it a secret - tell us!

It looks to me like even Jeep doesn't know what the cause or the fix is.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #216
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
Don't keep it a secret - tell us!

It looks to me like even Jeep doesn't know what the cause or the fix is.
No secrets here. We're all family. Check out the thread posted a few days ago regarding the tapping noise and fix. Looks as tho the left head is the culprit.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #217
AZBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
No secrets here. We're all family. Check out the thread posted a few days ago regarding the tapping noise and fix. Looks as tho the left head is the culprit.
But what about when the right head is the culprit? And what's the cause? And when did they correct the problem, if they have? And what do you do when your dealer says the noise is normal, as many seem to be saying. I think this issue is closer to the beginning than the end.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #218
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob

But what about when the right head is the culprit? And what's the cause? And when did they correct the problem, if they have? And what do you do when your dealer says the noise is normal, as many seem to be saying. I think this issue is closer to the beginning than the end.
At this point it's looking like the left cyl head is the problem. Unfortunately it's hit or miss at this point regarding repairs. Dealers are either receptive to the concerns of the customer and knows about the problem, or they tell you the noise is normal. Good luck
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #219
SeaKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 4
2012 Wrangler Rubicon Light

As per dozens of other posts, I have had multiple check engine lights (MIL). Brand new 2012, 1230 miles, first light last Thursday. Took it to the dealer, they reset it. Drove 9 miles. Next morning, light on again. Dropped it oiff. said code showed an oil sensor switch. Reset wires, reset light. Drove 9 miles light on again. Dealer is clueless and wants to start tesaring the engine down to "inspect" it. Wish I had not gotten rid of my 2006 which went for 6.5 years with only a radiator replacement. I have been sending copies of these forums to the dealer but I think I have a case of head in the sand. Anyone else have the check light problem and a workable solution?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #220
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
As per dozens of other posts, I have had multiple check engine lights (MIL). Brand new 2012, 1230 miles, first light last Thursday. Took it to the dealer, they reset it. Drove 9 miles. Next morning, light on again. Dropped it oiff. said code showed an oil sensor switch. Reset wires, reset light. Drove 9 miles light on again. Dealer is clueless and wants to start tesaring the engine down to "inspect" it. Wish I had not gotten rid of my 2006 which went for 6.5 years with only a radiator replacement. I have been sending copies of these forums to the dealer but I think I have a case of head in the sand. Anyone else have the check light problem and a workable solution?
If this is "just" a light pointing to an oil sensor, REPLACE the sensor. This is fustrating, but at this point at least you are not dealing with the tapping noise.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #221
SeaKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 4
Oil Pump

dealer is saying the code indicates a problem with either the two stage oil pump or the oil injector nozzles that spray onto the cylinder. Supposedly another 2012 had this here in Newport News and that fixed it. We'll see but I'm not feeling the love here. Perhaps too much pessimism as a helicopter pilot who alwyas fears the worst. Just hope te dealer actually knows what they are doing because so far they have been grasping. Anyone else out there had this problem/fix?.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #222
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters, Chrysler Group LLC
Posts: 2,511
SeaKing -
did they mention the specific code - the number?
__________________
U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #223
AZBob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
At this point it's looking like the left cyl head is the problem. Unfortunately it's hit or miss at this point regarding repairs. Dealers are either receptive to the concerns of the customer and knows about the problem, or they tell you the noise is normal. Good luck
I've seen reports of right side, or both sides, and of course the cylinder number 2 problem is right side. It certainly looks to me like there's multiple issues here, which is why I objected to the declaration that the mystery was solved and over.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #224
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBob View Post
I've seen reports of right side, or both sides, and of course the cylinder number 2 problem is right side. It certainly looks to me like there's multiple issues here, which is why I objected to the declaration that the mystery was solved and over.
I see what you are saying. Let me ask you, are the heads interchangable? In other words, are their orientations to them; left and right? Or can do they fit either side?
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #225
TheBoss
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: , Madiganistan, Illi-noise
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
I see what you are saying. Let me ask you, are the heads interchangable? In other words, are their orientations to them; left and right? Or can do they fit either side?
This is an overhead cam engine so I would have to say the castings are different.
__________________
[CENTER][COLOR="black"][/COLOR][COLOR="Cyan"]My JK Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wanderlust-thebosss-jku-build-1483041/[/url][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[SIZE="1"]JK : AEV, Synergy, JKS, Teraflex, Bilstein, GoodYear, M.B, LoD, Ramsey, Hella, Uniden, Smitty-re-bilt rails, Safari Straps
:sold:WJ : BDS, Teraflex, JK Rubicon shocks, GoodYear, JK wheels :sold: [/SIZE]


[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.