Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 03-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #166
6806goats

I didn't cancel my Jeep order because of this but it was a factor I considered. I'll wait until they build the diesel or select another brand if they don't. I sure was looking fwd to buying one but no need to have one sitting in storage when there are still bugs to be worked out.

Unread 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #167
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROSETO View Post
I have a 2012 Rubi 2dr. Black Forest Green originally on order at the dealership. It was going to cost me 34k before taxes,
The Rubi really goes up in prices, even in 2Dr trim. I bought the 4dr rubi loaded for less than that, out the door.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #168
schnizdawg
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 2012 was fine with no ticking and then it started after the first oil change. I put in mobile one 5w 30. I will try another oil next change and see if the ticking changes. This is a slight ticking and I really don't care because of the good warranty these things have now. Besides, I truly think there is a direct correlation to oil viscosity and type here. I bet switching to a more slick synthetic causes slower moving head parts to really move around more freely.
schnizdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #169
AZBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnizdawg View Post
My 2012 was fine with no ticking and then it started after the first oil change. I put in mobile one 5w 30. I will try another oil next change and see if the ticking changes. This is a slight ticking and I really don't care because of the good warranty these things have now. Besides, I truly think there is a direct correlation to oil viscosity and type here. I bet switching to a more slick synthetic causes slower moving head parts to really move around more freely.
That's interesting but what were you using before? You'd really have something if you went back to the prior oil and the ticking went away.
AZBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #170
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnizdawg
Yes, what oil was in it the last time? Was it the orig? Anyone know what the factory uses? If it truly is viscosity based, then my guess is the hydraulic lifters are not pumping up creating some extra valve lash. This space is the clicking or tapping everyone is talking about. Just my guess. Anyone try adding STP oil treatment? It increases viscosity a bit.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #171
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if the dealership uses an oil comparable to the factory. Anyone here have the ticking and only had dealer oil changes?
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #172
Fellstar
2012 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone checked to make sure they don't have an exhaust leak? The, admittedly few, videos I've watched the tick sounds a lot like an exhaust leak.

My jeep isn't making any noises, in fact it's the quietest engine I've owned in a while, coming from subaru's which are notorious for ticking.
Fellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #173
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellstar View Post
Has anyone checked to make sure they don't have an exhaust leak? The, admittedly few, videos I've watched the tick sounds a lot like an exhaust leak.

My jeep isn't making any noises, in fact it's the quietest engine I've owned in a while, coming from subaru's which are notorious for ticking.
Subaru?? Someone say Subaru?? LOL.. I owned an 1995 Subaru XT Coupe Turbo... Man, that thing sounded like it was going to explode. Changed the lifters twice... POS...
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #174
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Yes, what oil was in it the last time? Was it the orig? Anyone know what the factory uses? If it truly is viscosity based, then my guess is the hydraulic lifters are not pumping up creating some extra valve lash. This space is the clicking or tapping everyone is talking about. Just my guess. Anyone try adding STP oil treatment? It increases viscosity a bit.
Terrible terrible idea on an engine that is not past break in and there is something wrong with it. For one, it can be used to deny warranty coverage. Secondly, modern oils have all the additives they need from the factory. Putting more additives in can cause a chemical reaction to take place to where the oil become acidic. Additionally, these newer engines are designed for thinner oil like 5W20, so putting in something thicker to make it quieter is akin to putting saw dust in a differential to make it quiet.

The bottom line is most 2012 owners bought a 2012 because of the warranty. Why not use the warranty to get things fixed? Why do something like adding thick goop to the oil to cause them to deny warranty coverage?

I remember working at O'Reilly's when I was in college and used car dealers would buy STP oil treatment, Motor Honey, and various other products to put in used cars to make the engine quiet and reduce the smoking. There is absolutely no reason to do that on a brand new vehicle.
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #175
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Prot;13200200]Terrible terrible idea on an engine that is not past break in and there is something wrong with it. For one, it can be used to deny warranty coverage. Secondly, modern oils have all the additives they need from the factory. Putting more additives in can cause a chemical reaction to take place to where the oil become acidic. Additionally, these newer engines are designed for thinner oil like 5W20, so putting in something thicker to make it quieter is akin to putting saw dust in a differential to make it quiet.

The bottom line is most 2012 owners bought a 2012 because of the warranty. Why not use the warranty to get things fixed? Why do something like adding thick goop to the oil to cause them to deny warranty coverage?

PROT U just don't get it WARRANTY ??? Have you ever been to a Chrysler dealer for service lately AFTER they tell you it's normal 5 times THEN go to plan B They wear you down The service dept knows if they can't want to fix the problem because they just don't have a smart enough mechanic to do the job Plan B is to have the custmer bring in the vehicle and then let it sit a couple days then call the customer tell them it's fixed the problem is on record and more and more BS just to have you leave the dealership and the same problem again happens Then they appoligize and tell you to bring it back in again You NOW know how warranty works JUST BUILD IT RIGHT FROM THE FACTORY AND STOP CUTTING CORNERS !!!
DavidJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #176
schnizdawg
2012 JK Wrangler 

Um... I came to my senses last night and just checked the dip stick. I was at the bottom of the range so threw in a half quart. No more ticking. Maybe these take 6 1/2 quarts in reality. BTW I was switching from synthetic to mobile one for the first time at just over 2000 miles. Been fine with no ticking for about 300 miles now that I've driven this week. And I'm talking about the EXACT same ticking that was posted in different videos that people are sharing all over the web for the Jeeps, all gone with just topping off the oil. If the ticking comes back I'm still switching to an oil that's a little thicker. Maybe 0W40. If that doesn't help after a few hundred miles I'll just switch back and live with it next time. Summer is coming up so 0W40 can't hurt in the heat.

Last edited by schnizdawg; 03-09-2012 at 05:00 PM..
schnizdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #177
durable1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4 View Post
I know I may seem paranoid by now. The ticking noise has since quieted down but people are still asking or telling me they hear a ticking noise from at least 10 feet away. Also at certain rpms it has a low humming noise(rattling) in the cab. I'm assuming something on the motor got loosened when they were nosing around in there. I'm currently waiting on getting my front and rear bumper on and going wheeling next next weekend I will then take it back and ask them to look into the vibration and go through everything they may have loosened. It drives me crazy everytime I drive the jeep now.

This "rattling"....is it coming from inside the dash? And does it go away or lessen when the vehicle warms up?
durable1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #178
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes. Actually did some research on here and came across a common problem. There are coolant lines behind the dash that vibrate when cold but goes away after warmup. Wrapped a piece of coolant hose around it's seems to have fixed it!
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #179
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

That seemed to do the trick. No more rattling behind the dash.
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #180
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

For those with the ticking vavletrain. Are these the (first run) with the bad head castings? I haven't followed too closely are any of the problems from recent new build purchases within the last few months?

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.