Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #151
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm starting to do my 2012 research...been reading the threads here and on wranglerforum...

Are the pentastar engines crated and taken as needed or do they build the engine for the intended vehicle? I'm curious once Gecko green is available for purchase if we'll have any tickers (assuming the engines aren't crated and stored). I know there was a bit of a delay on the Black Forest Green...anyone have a ticking one? I was thinking we could use it as a guage of the problem being "solved" and have hope for late 2012's and early 2013's. I would guess Jeep might jump ahead to 2013 model year if they have a large recall, just to reassure buyers.

I also wonder if wrangler drivers are harder on the vehicle and that's why the minivan and cherokee penta's didn't flash issues right away. Not saying it caused the issue...maybe just sped it up and other models would have issues in time. Food for thought...

Unread 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #152
maddogusmc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here we go!

Well I took mine in today for the infamous ticking. It is doing it on the driver's side only. When I went to the service counter and told them my problem, the first thing they said was "Is it a 3.6 engine"so I assume they are fully aware of the issue with the cyl head. The service manager drove it in the shop and came back to me about 15 minutes later and said lets make you an appointment to check it further. I take it in Friday morning at 8AM.
Just for information the Jeep is an unlimited Sahara, deep cherry red, born on 10/24/11 with the mileage at 3895. So now I will hold my breath and give them the chance to do right with the warranty.
maddogusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #153
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogusmc View Post
Well I took mine in today for the infamous ticking. It is doing it on the driver's side only. When I went to the service counter and told them my problem, the first thing they said was "Is it a 3.6 engine"so I assume they are fully aware of the issue with the cyl head. The service manager drove it in the shop and came back to me about 15 minutes later and said lets make you an appointment to check it further. I take it in Friday morning at 8AM.
Just for information the Jeep is an unlimited Sahara, deep cherry red, born on 10/24/11 with the mileage at 3895. So now I will hold my breath and give them the chance to do right with the warranty.
crap.. at least there's a warranty... good luck.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #154
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE*
Spoke to the dealer today. They said that chrysler has a restriction on removing the head. The mechanic has to get permission from Chrysler to remove the head so it seems Chrysler is tracking the issue. The dealer is still waiting to find out what Chrysler wants them to do. He also told me he didn't see any metal shavings or anything so thats good.
chrisjsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #155
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Picked it up from the Dealer today. Start it up and I can hear the ticking right away. They only replaced the lifters. I bring the mechanic outside and tell him that it still has the noise. He says he doesn't hear it! Says its the noise of the fuel injection. So I told him to go listen to another one on the lot. Then he says that it isn't as loud as it was. Then says that he couldn't do anything other than lifters. So I'm probably going to have to take it back in a week and have them listen to it again and see what they say. What else can I do?
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #156
DavidJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjsmith4 View Post
Picked it up from the Dealer today. Start it up and I can hear the ticking right away. They only replaced the lifters. I bring the mechanic outside and tell him that it still has the noise. He says he doesn't hear it! Says its the noise of the fuel injection. So I told him to go listen to another one on the lot. Then he says that it isn't as loud as it was. Then says that he couldn't do anything other than lifters. So I'm probably going to have to take it back in a week and have them listen to it again and see what they say. What else can I do?
Sorry to hear your news today Chris it is very very fustrating maybe you should try another dealer I have been through this like you with dealer service depts Chrysler service I feel is the worst !!!! They stand in front of mirrors and practice saying " Thats Normal , Thats Normal , Thats Normal " so when the customer comes in with a problem no matter what the first response is " Thats Normal "
DavidJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #157
JustMike68
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJeep View Post
Sorry to hear your news today Chris it is very very fustrating maybe you should try another dealer I have been through this like you with dealer service depts Chrysler service I feel is the worst !!!! They stand in front of mirrors and practice saying " Thats Normal , Thats Normal , Thats Normal " so when the customer comes in with a problem no matter what the first response is " Thats Normal "
Short story long!
BMW dealers are the same. I had a 2009 F800GS ( Motorcycle) with a loud Knock in the motor under strain ( pulling away ) and dealer told me " That's Normal " . I made a video of the noise/knock and sent it to BMW Customer Service, whereby they replied " That's not Normal", who called my selling dealer and told them to call me and fix it! They never did call so I called them 2 months later and they flat out told me they're not doing anything with my bike and I would have to live with it.
I sold it the very next day and have steered dozens of potential buyers away from that dealer. I tell everyone my story and let them make their own conclusions but I know it gives me a good feeling inside knowing the dealer has lost thousands in sales/service/parts as a result of not taking care of me!
2012 JKUR, 6spd, 4:10, Black with Black top and fenders!
JustMike68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #158
rennypogo
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think I'll keep my 08 with the mini van engine also life time power-train warranty and paid for!
rennypogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #159
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike68 View Post
I sold it the very next day and have steered dozens of potential buyers away from that dealer.
SO did you fix the problem first, or did you sell the problem to a different unwitting customer?

If you sold it to them with the problem, it would make you just as bad as the dealer.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #160
JustMike68
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan19 View Post
SO did you fix the problem first, or did you sell the problem to a different unwitting customer?

If you sold it to them with the problem, it would make you just as bad as the dealer.
Told him straight up the issue I was having (Full Disclosure) and he thought I was hearing things too. He didn't seem to care cause it still had 2 years warranty and I gave him such a deal he couldn't refuse so that's why it sold so early/easily. The warranty was transferred. He's still racking up the miles ( I know him ) and the bike has been looked at from another BMW dealer. All is well!
2012 JKUR, 6spd, 4:10, Black with Black top and fenders!
JustMike68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #161
maddogusmc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Results

Well took my Sahara to the dealer this morning and got a call at 10:30 to pick it up. i went in and talked to the service manager and he told me they checked the ticking and compared it to a new one on the lot. Their conclusion is it is normal injector noise. I told him I wanted to make sure this service visit for the ticking noise was documened and he said it was. I then told him since the jeep has 100,000 mile waranty on the engine I will just wait and see what happens. I also told him I thought if it was a serious engine problem it would not last the 100,000 miles and they would end up having to fix the problem anyway. He agreed with what I told him and said they would keep a close watch on it when I had my oil changes. With this being a possible issue in the future I told him I would be bringing the Jeep to them for all the service while it was still under waranty. I then thanked them for looking at it and left. So now we play the waiting game!
maddogusmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #162
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's the dealers who will get hurt in the long run and whats sad is that they probably want to do more but if they did, either they wouldn't be reimbursed or they risk causing a word of mouth panic.

I just can't see Chryslers current business model supporting a major recall right now...it defeats any gain in reputation they've had since the bailout. I still think well see a sudden leap to 2013 models, if anyone here with the issue found out 2013 didnt have it and you could, you would trade. The remaining will be returned to the factory (for repairs that never happen) and people who keep 2012s will be quietly repaired. It'll actually cause a false spike in sales with the trades which is the way to go business wise than a big loss.

Either way I'm glued...2012 was going to be my year now I'm waiting...I'd imagine a lot of people are...
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #163
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
My "Eco" indicator never came on.

There is an Eco light?
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #164
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know I may seem paranoid by now. The ticking noise has since quieted down but people are still asking or telling me they hear a ticking noise from at least 10 feet away. Also at certain rpms it has a low humming noise(rattling) in the cab. I'm assuming something on the motor got loosened when they were nosing around in there. I'm currently waiting on getting my front and rear bumper on and going wheeling next next weekend I will then take it back and ask them to look into the vibration and go through everything they may have loosened. It drives me crazy everytime I drive the jeep now.
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #165
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

Went to another dealer this morning in Smithfeild North Carolina. Pretty good dealer got an oil change and they even gave me a quadratec magazine. I had the service tech listen to the tick. It was pretty loud and then they did the oil change. After the oil change the tick went quiet. They put it on the service record and we talked about it. The manger (I think) was still trying to tell me it's the injectors, but the tick being quiet right after the oil change should tell them that it's NOT the injector pulse!! Went ridin around in the rain and stopped at lowes to get some stuff for my grill mod, and there was the tick again but not as loud I'm sure in a day or two it will get back to sounding like a normal ticking brand new motor....
The small things that you come across everyday, The norm that's overlooked until it is unseen, then when that comes you miss life, one thought, one smell, one sound can take you back home, then you realize your a thousand miles away, and then you get sick....
Greenway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.