Potential 2012 Pentastar issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Potential 2012 Pentastar issue?

Well I have been noticing a ticking noise coming from the drivers side of the engine that has grown louder.

Did a search and lo and behold here's what was found so far.........

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/upd...ad-137608.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2...light-1299151/

Felt it was time to start a new thread with a different title as there appears to be an identified issue with a head replacement as possible solution.

Wanted to check in with other 2012 owners and hear what ya'll have to say.

07-11 JK 3.8 owners go easy on us early penta jesus adopters.

Will be setting up a service appoint as soon as I can.

99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Need more info. Manual? Auto? Does it do it in gear? Does the time between ticks decrease when you give it gas?

Mine knocked (but ticking would be accurate, too) when the Jeep wasn't in gear. I thought it was the engine, but it ended up being the throw-out bearing, which has been hit or miss with the JK since '07. Got it fixed under warranty and the noise is gone.

EDIT: Nevermind. Read your sig in your profile and you've got an auto. Either way, take it to the dealership.
Unread 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

auto tranny

Noise at idle and increases in speed with engine rev's while Jeep is sitting still.

Not mine but here's examples

Just to clarify... I'm a gear head and have rebuilt a few engines in my day.(even an ol 1952 Dodge M-37 army truck straight 6)

Most definately valve train noise. And it's getting louder.
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
cf1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
auto tranny

Noise at idle and increases in speed with engine rev's while Jeep is sitting still.

Not mine but here's examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ifuqSsBivU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s3GW-2gS-4

Just to clarify... I'm a gear head and have rebuilt a few engines in my day.(even an ol 1952 Dodge M-37 army truck straight 6)

Most definately valve train noise. And it's getting louder.
just turned 8000 0n my 2012 wrangler, was ticking prety loud untill i changed the oil anf filter. put moble one in ticking very low ..
cf1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet
1968 C101 

My Jeep is still in the shop getting a new head and parts. It ticked but not as loud as that video. Another funny symptom mine showed after the check engine light/ticking noise started. My "Eco" indicator never came on.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
JJAMISON_
2008 JK Wrangler 

guys if you own a 2012 jk/jku and it ticks i'd be calling the dealer. warranty it. i wouldn't wait on a recall.
Unread 02-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
IDRIS
2012 JK Wrangler 

Caveat: I don't know squat

I don't have answers, only questions.

Could it conceivably be due to something being up with the fuel injection system? The sound seemed to increase in the first video as the camera hovered over that rectangular body with the six black lines coming out of it. My guess is that the box is part of the fuel system.

If the engine is idling at around 800 RPM, then that means 4,800 cycles per minute are going on, divided by two (4-stroke engine), giving 2,400 power strokes per minute. Divide that by 60, and that's 40 fuel-pulses per second.

A 40 Hz vibration (rapid ticking) would sound pretty close to the frequency heard in that first clip. I know what a 60 Hz pulse-sequence sounds like from MIG welding, and various electronic applications - and that's not far off.

The valve train idea would be perfectly within the range of this sound, as well - but I don't know. The reason I'm thinking fuel system is Rivet's comments about the "ECO" light, but I'm not sure at all if the economy light is based directly off fuel flow or RPM. If it's fuel flow, then what would air bubbles in the system do to it, or how the engine runs? If it's RPM, then maybe it is more an issue relating to the valve timing system.

Not claiming any knowledge, here - just generating ideas. Even being wildly wrong helps, sometimes. :-)
IDRIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Rivet
1968 C101 

My check engine light/ ticking was happening well before the ECO light stopped coming on.
I do not think that ticking is from the injectors. Yes the injectors do make noise but the ticking I was experiencing was more of a valve chatter. And it didn't start till I had about 8 thousand miles and at cold starts it was really noticeable. And the valves for the #2 cylinder were "burnt up" according to the tech that is working on my jeep.
Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
AppSt59Dave
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON_
guys if you own a 2012 jk/jku and it ticks i'd be calling the dealer. warranty it. i wouldn't wait on a recall.
Word up. Can't believe guys with NEW jeeps would rather come on here and ask some couch mechanics instead of taking it to the dealer. There are a lot of qualified guys on here but damn, let someone look at it! Taking my 12 to the dealer to do a leak test today so I will be bringing this up to the guys to have them take a gander. 4200 miles. Drive it til it blows up!
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yep called the dealer and have an appointment.

The reason I started the thread was as a "heads up" to the folks who have 2012's and to see if anyone perhaps had the issue.

Perhaps should have been a bit clearer in my initial post.
Unread 02-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Dude, ALL JKs have had ticking issues. My 2011 ticked so bad when it was new that I came within a hair and taking it in for a service visit. This isn't a new issue that just started with 2012s.

I ended up changing from synthetic to dino oil, and the tick got much less pronounced. Next thing I'm going to try is going from 5W20 (water) to 5W30 and I'm betting it'll quiet the ticking down even more.

But yes, if you are truly concerned, take it to the dealership and get it documented. That way, IF it does blow up at 40K miles you have documentation that you were concerned about it from the beginning. I will say, if you spend as much time with the "new" Chrysler engines (1999 - present designs) as I have you'll start to see that they don't have the best reputation for being long-life engines. Grenading valvetrains before 150,000 miles is very common, and there are a few bottom end problems as well but it's not as common as the top end problems. The new stuff doesn't seem as robust as the older Chrysler designs. That's one reason I'm not that unhappy with my 3.8.

Good luck.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
tolnep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Dude, ALL JKs have had ticking issues. My 2011 ticked so bad when it was new that I came within a hair and taking it in for a service visit. This isn't a new issue that just started with 2012s.

I ended up changing from synthetic to dino oil, and the tick got much less pronounced. Next thing I'm going to try is going from 5W20 (water) to 5W30 and I'm betting it'll quiet the ticking down even more.

But yes, if you are truly concerned, take it to the dealership and get it documented. That way, IF it does blow up at 40K miles you have documentation that you were concerned about it from the beginning. I will say, if you spend as much time with the "new" Chrysler engines (1999 - present designs) as I have you'll start to see that they don't have the best reputation for being long-life engines. Grenading valvetrains before 150,000 miles is very common, and there are a few bottom end problems as well but it's not as common as the top end problems. The new stuff doesn't seem as robust as the older Chrysler designs. That's one reason I'm not that unhappy with my 3.8.

Good luck.
There are specific issues with the new engine that apparently involve the driver side head. search and you will find a number of folks getting a head replaced along with the parts needed to do the replacement and the timing chain.

one source (dealer) said it was because of bad valves that were sticking, causing carbon buildup, pre-ignition and other problems. though there seems to be a prevalence for cylinder 2 so i dont see how bad valves would only manifest themselves in one cylinder of the motor.

one report even has dealers pulling new jeeps off of the lot to do repairs before selling them.

currently problems seem to revolve around jeeps produced in july and august of 2011.
tolnep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post

WXman appreciate your insight.

My 2012 JKUR engine when new was as quite as my Acura TL ... well almost.

Still have the TJ and had a built YJ for some time so know very well what normal ticking sounds like. Heck the TJ 4.0 ticks are numerous; emissions, injectors, another cracked exahust manifold, some valve train noise(probably lifters) low end knock on cold start(probably piston slap). Will probably rebuild it at some point but way to busy to tear it apart plus it will probably outlast me as it is. Luckily for me the TJ is a 99 as Jeep screwed up some 4.0 heads around 2003 IIRC.

So yeah I agree that some engines are prone to ticks and that's OK.

When I first got the Jeep was impressed with the quietness and smoothness of the engine. Actually shocked would be more descriptive. A quiet, smooth engine in a Jeep.....what were the engineers thinking?

First noticed the noise and thought due to the cold here it was normal. However as the Jeep warmed up... noise was still there.

As the tick became more pronounced, started looking into it a bit further and found that the ticking noise is isolated to one side of the engine- Drivers.

Used some google fu and found that there appears to be a problem and now will be taking it to the dealer to start the process.

Build Date is 8/11 on my JKUR

Last edited by DavidC; 02-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: spelling
Unread 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
BigNunz6
2015 WK 

In before the "stop crying its a Jeep thing" from the real Jeep guys......
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
WXman appreciate your insight.

My 2012 JKUR engine when new was as quite as my Acura TL ... well almost.

Still have the TJ and had a built YJ for some time so know very well what normal ticking sounds like. Heck the TJ 4.0 ticks are numerous; emissions, injectors, another cracked exahust manifold, some valve train noise(probably lifters) low end knock on cold start(probably piston slap). Will probably rebuild it at some point but way to busy to tear it apart plus it will probably outlast me as it is. Luckily for me the TJ is a 99 as Jeep screwed up some 4.0 heads around 2003 IIRC.

So yeah I agree that some engines are prone to ticks and that's OK.

When I first got the Jeep was impressed with the quietness and smoothness of the engine. Actually shocked would be more descriptive. A quite, smooth engine in a Jeep.....what were the engineers thinking?

First noticed the noise and thought due to the cold here it was normal. However as the Jeep warmed up... noise was still there.

As the tick became more pronounced, started looking into it a bit further and found that the ticking noise is isolated to one side of the engine- Drivers.

Used some google fu and found that there appears to be a problem and now will be taking it to the dealer to start the process.

Build Date is 8/11 on my JKUR

I understand and I don't blame you for getting it looked at. Seems that the teething process with the new engines has begun. Keep us posted.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.