Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Possible hardtop problem. Need some thoughts on this (image heavy)

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mickeymeanie 
#1 ·
Hello all. I haven't noticed this myself, but thanks to another jeep owner who pointed it out, I am now dumbfounded by my problem

The back window on the driver side has a larger gap between the window and the hardtop. This in turn is not allowing the seal to line up properly for the gate gasket. I have some pictures. They are a bit blurry so I do apologize for that.

Other things that may help you: On the rear Driver-side door, the hard-top is not flush with the door, where as the hard-top on the rear passenger-side door is completely flush. It is NOT leaking, but I am concerned that over time this could produce a leak.

I have already taken it off, and then re-seated the hardtop. All locations up front and at the doors match up perfectly and fit into the groves and locations it should.

Im currently feeling that there may have been a mistake made at the factory. What do you think? Any 2011 owners have the same problem?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
The Front panels fit fine. First thing that I did was to double check everything lined up right. I loosened the bolts 6 in back 2 up top in the front and wiggled it back and forth to see if I could make the gap close up. No luck.

I then took it completely off, then set it back down and checked to make sure the alignment posts in the back were in the right holes. Everything checked out fine.

Im at a loss and I just don't know if it was designed that way (For what reason I don't know) or if it was an assembly error. Im leaning to the 2nd based solely on the gasket alignment for the gate. It just doesn't look correct.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input guys,

Ill keep you posted on what the dealer says.

By chance do any of you see the post on this forum that talked about defective 2011 tops and thus was the reason that some builds were taking longer than expected for 2011 orders? (I think it had to do with same-color tops possibly) I don't recall if there was a known problem associated with it but any numbers to go to the dealer with would be good if it existed.

#9 ·
By any chance have you used the hard top remover setup either electric hoist or manual.

#12 ·
My 2011 doesn't fit like that, its completely uniform. My only problem with fitment is my right door, its too tight against the windshield and makes it a PITA to close, its VERY tight, I've looked and can't seem to figure out a way to adjust it that won't remove paint. :thumbdown:

#13 ·
Mine is a 4-door so maybe the 2-door jeeps lucked out on this problem.

How is the space between the bottom of the hard top and the body at the rear of the jeep? Both left and right rear gaps uniform? With the hard-top alignment pins there isn't much you can do to adjust those gaps. I liked those alignment posts at first, but Im now wishing it was more like my TJ's =\

#15 ·
They are adjustable and some gap differences can be evened out that way(By some you are looking at 1-2mm in change). Sadly my pictures are of the hard-top at ts furthest position(and they are 3-4mm off top-bottom). I can't move it any further to even up the gap and bring the gaskets in line. With my top being off at the door as well there seems to be more wrong than just the window.

As for the doors: You can adjust them as well. A lot more work to them though. A body shop showed me when my door gaskets would shred on the hard top from the door being off just slightly. Loosen up all the hinges and push up/pull down to the desired fit and then tighten.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.