Possible hardtop problem. Need some thoughts on this (image heavy) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Possible hardtop problem. Need some thoughts on this (image heavy)

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Stugen

Possible hardtop problem. Need some thoughts on this (image heavy)

Hello all. I haven't noticed this myself, but thanks to another jeep owner who pointed it out, I am now dumbfounded by my problem

The back window on the driver side has a larger gap between the window and the hardtop. This in turn is not allowing the seal to line up properly for the gate gasket. I have some pictures. They are a bit blurry so I do apologize for that.

Other things that may help you: On the rear Driver-side door, the hard-top is not flush with the door, where as the hard-top on the rear passenger-side door is completely flush. It is NOT leaking, but I am concerned that over time this could produce a leak.

I have already taken it off, and then re-seated the hardtop. All locations up front and at the doors match up perfectly and fit into the groves and locations it should.

Im currently feeling that there may have been a mistake made at the factory. What do you think? Any 2011 owners have the same problem?

gateleft.jpg   gateright.jpg   bottomleft.jpg   bottomright.jpg  
Stugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Stugen

2 more to finish my point.

Also, the gap between the top of the back window and the top is uniform.
topright.jpg   topleft.jpg  
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just take it back to the dealer this should be covered in the warranty.
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would have to guess that one of the alignment pins is in the wrong place.
My top just fits, no manipulating needed.
Take it back to the dealer and have them make it right.
How do the front freedom tops fit?

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Stugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Just take it back to the dealer this should be covered in the warranty.
I figured as much. I was wondering more a long the lines if there is something I missed during re-installation or if there is a simple fix that I can save myself time (and money since Ill need a day off from work).
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Stugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I would have to guess that one of the alignment pins is in the wrong place.
My top just fits, no manipulating needed.
Take it back to the dealer and have them make it right.
How do the front freedom tops fit?
The Front panels fit fine. First thing that I did was to double check everything lined up right. I loosened the bolts 6 in back 2 up top in the front and wiggled it back and forth to see if I could make the gap close up. No luck.

I then took it completely off, then set it back down and checked to make sure the alignment posts in the back were in the right holes. Everything checked out fine.

Im at a loss and I just don't know if it was designed that way (For what reason I don't know) or if it was an assembly error. Im leaning to the 2nd based solely on the gasket alignment for the gate. It just doesn't look correct.
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugen View Post
The Front panels fit fine. First thing that I did was to double check everything lined up right. I loosened the bolts 6 in back 2 up top in the front and wiggled it back and forth to see if I could make the gap close up. No luck.

I then took it completely off, then set it back down and checked to make sure the alignment posts in the back were in the right holes. Everything checked out fine.

Im at a loss and I just don't know if it was designed that way (For what reason I don't know) or if it was an assembly error. Im leaning to the 2nd based solely on the gasket alignment for the gate. It just doesn't look correct.
Look at it this way - the amount of time you spent loosening, re-seating, tightening, was probably as much as it would take to drive to the dealership to drop it off. If your concern is for missing work, any decent dealership should honor your request for a loaner car for a day or two, whatever it takes for them to make it right. If they won't do that for you, find another local dealership to call home.

Good luck man, I understand how irritating the little things can be after spending more than a few dollars on a new car

Mike
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Stugen

Thanks for the input guys,

Ill keep you posted on what the dealer says.

By chance do any of you see the post on this forum that talked about defective 2011 tops and thus was the reason that some builds were taking longer than expected for 2011 orders? (I think it had to do with same-color tops possibly) I don't recall if there was a known problem associated with it but any numbers to go to the dealer with would be good if it existed.
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

By any chance have you used the hard top remover setup either electric hoist or manual.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Stugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttytruckster View Post
By any chance have you used the hard top remover setup either electric hoist or manual.
Nope, I had 2 friends come over and give me a hand taking it off. To my surprise the rear half is considerably lighter than the hardtop on my TJ even though its about the same size
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Stugen

I have an appointment to get this further inspected by a tech coming up. The rep says it will more than likely need a new top. As details emerge Ill update you here.
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
SoonerYJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

My 2011 doesn't fit like that, its completely uniform. My only problem with fitment is my right door, its too tight against the windshield and makes it a PITA to close, its VERY tight, I've looked and can't seem to figure out a way to adjust it that won't remove paint.

2011 Flame Red Rubicon (2-Door) with every option.
SoonerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
Stugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerYJ View Post
My 2011 doesn't fit like that, its completely uniform. My only problem with fitment is my right door, its too tight against the windshield and makes it a PITA to close, its VERY tight, I've looked and can't seem to figure out a way to adjust it that won't remove paint.
Mine is a 4-door so maybe the 2-door jeeps lucked out on this problem.

How is the space between the bottom of the hard top and the body at the rear of the jeep? Both left and right rear gaps uniform? With the hard-top alignment pins there isn't much you can do to adjust those gaps. I liked those alignment posts at first, but Im now wishing it was more like my TJ's =\
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I havn't looked into it much on my hard top, but I have worked with alot of truck toppers and I know the rear glass doors on those are all adjustable...are the hard top doors for our Jeeps adjustable too?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Stugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLoud View Post
I havn't looked into it much on my hard top, but I have worked with alot of truck toppers and I know the rear glass doors on those are all adjustable...are the hard top doors for our Jeeps adjustable too?
They are adjustable and some gap differences can be evened out that way(By some you are looking at 1-2mm in change). Sadly my pictures are of the hard-top at ts furthest position(and they are 3-4mm off top-bottom). I can't move it any further to even up the gap and bring the gaskets in line. With my top being off at the door as well there seems to be more wrong than just the window.

As for the doors: You can adjust them as well. A lot more work to them though. A body shop showed me when my door gaskets would shred on the hard top from the door being off just slightly. Loosen up all the hinges and push up/pull down to the desired fit and then tighten.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.