Possessed Jeep.....TIPM issue?? Lights, horn wipers, etc.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Possessed Jeep.....TIPM issue?? Lights, horn wipers, etc....

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Busa196

Possessed Jeep.....TIPM issue?? Lights, horn wipers, etc....

I've got an 08 JK with about 15k miles on it. Never had a problem with it until today....suddenly, as Im driving through my parking garage at work the ESP BAS light comes on and the Jeep completely dies. I push it aside and try several more times to get the engine to turnover- I got nothing. 10 min later, I try it again and it fires up and runs perfect. I drive it 3 blocks and as Im sitting at a dead stop in a parking spot with the engine on and in park, the horn, wipers, lights, and washer fluid come on simultaneously and stay on until I pop the hood and jiggle a few relays (believe they go to my HID lights) next to my fuse box, aka the TIPM Totally Integrated Power Module, is that right?- then everything shuts off. I fired it up and drove it back to work with no problems. WTF?

Obviously, the best thing to do is bring it to a dealership under warranty- but, Ive got a Hesco blower on it and Im a bit hesitant to bring it to a dealer so they can give me 1k excuses of why my Hesco set up would cause this- and then mark my warranty as void

Any ideas on what this could possibly be? Any thoughts/suggestions on how to approach a dealership?

81 CJ7 Renegade, T-176, MSD Atomic EFI, Chevy 305, Extreme 4x4 Comp Cam, Hedman Headers, no cats, dual 40 series Flowmasters, Power Brake Conversion, Rhino Lined, 4" suspension lift, 315/75/16's on 16x10 Mickey Thompson Classic II's, Original paint & Tub.
Busa196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
08BlueSahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe??

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/flash-feels-like-new-engine-immediate-performance-increase-696596/

Take a look at the 2nd TSB mentioned in this thread.

And the second one is:
NUMBER: 08-023-07
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 06, 2007

SUBJECT:
Long Crank Time Due To Possible Contact Of Camshaft Sensor To Camshaft Gear

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the engine camshaft sensor.

Just might be the prob?
08BlueSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
merlinTec

Hi
Does sound like a wiring fault could be a good idea to have a good look around the TIPM and the plugs under it. If communication goes down from the switches it should put on the lights and wiper as a safety feature but not the horn and washer so not too sure on that issue. Do you have any other after market add on such as radios, CB remote start? I see fog lamp added. How are the HID wired up? Nothing sharing the same ground as the TIPM? Could take it to auto zone get a fault code read out and maybe give us something to go on.
Unread 12-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
tturkstra
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bump. I've had this problem 4 times since my warranty ran out. 3 times when I press my unlock button and once while driving - pretty much empties the washer fluid reservoir before I can get the battery disconnected.

Anyone else need a new TIPM and post how to fix it? No luck with my search. I hear the price for the TIPM module is $600?!?!?!?!? I really don't want to spend that unless I'm sure that it will solve the problem.
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
birdjeep1981

tturkstra,I know it's been 6 months, any luck? I've had the same thing happen on my '08 JK. Once with the unlock button, another time just parallel parking. I took it to the dealership, it's still under warranty, they couldn't find anything wrong with it.
birdjeep1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yup - it's possesed - call an Italian Catholic Priest...
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Mvb8thag

Had a similar problem with my 08 jeep liberty. The power seat (drivers side) will go haywire, at the same time the wiperblades will go once, the gauges drop, and it chimes. Just got off the phone with the dealer he said he wants to replace the tipm and quoted me 460 out the door. Just starting to weigh my options. Ive got 44 k miles on it so im out of warranty. I know nothing about the module. When something goes wrong with it, is it common to replace the whole module or can you isolate the problem and just replace a certain part of the tipm.
Mvb8thag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
YJ_TJ_JK
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of a dealer try a local reputable body shop and ask if they use an outside source for their more difficult diagnosis. If so, get his name and call him. I use 2 different mobile services and these guys are amazing. They know as much and sometimes more than the dealer. Afterall, no one wants to go to the dealer and get bent over.
YJ_TJ_JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Firellmt
2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 jk wrangler tipm failure

Just bought 07 wrangler unlimited and had three weeks, when wipers started going and squirting water, horn kept honking, lights flashing, heater stopped working. Had towed to jeep dealership, cost $714.00 for tipm parts and labor. Not impressed so far with first jeep purchase. This should be a recall, as this appears to be a common problem.
Firellmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

08 with 15k? It's probably just upset you don't drive it more.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
erickaiser

I purchased a 08jk last year and the tipm went bad. Total possession.. Lights, horn, wipers.. Like a car seizure. Well.. Called local dealer.. Gave them the last 8digits of the vin and they ordered me a new one for 390 then 75$ core so 320$ roughly... They warned me it had to be programmed. Not! I basically matched up the fuses, made sure everything was seated, disconnected the battery and disconnected the TIPM. Switched it out.. Tipm installed and no issues at all. Everything works.. Saved 300$ from having the dealer perform some BS service for big money.
erickaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
firstinlastout
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
08 with 15k? It's probably just upset you don't drive it more.
You do know this is from Feb 09 right?
firstinlastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
MEL777

08 Same Exact Issue

I know this is an older thread, but I have the EXACT same issue with my 08 Wrangler Unlimited with 15k miles on it. As you can tell, I don't drive it much, I only use it as a tow vehicle behind my RV. Mine is really crazy, lights flash, horn, wipers and washer fluid goes nuts and it even does it without the key in it. The engine will also run with the key out when this happens, can't turn it off. The latest thing, the lights won't turn on at Night. This is the icing on the cake, I have to bite the bullet and get it fixed. Should be a recall
MEL777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
SSnipes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstinlastout View Post
You do know this is from Feb 09 right?
We shouldn't be starting new threads cause it is old. We use it because it is the same topic. It helps me to see quickly that others have had issues for a long time.

I have the same issue on my '08 jku rubicon. In the past I have had issues with the TIPM with cooling fan. Cooling fan would not come on and engine would over heat. Totally random as I could have it happen in the same trip or it would happen up to a year apart. Summer or winter too.

Now fast forward four years of history with it I have new TIPM issues. Exact as this one. I parked the jeep, came back to it hours later, opened the door and right away the wipers, horn, and washer fluid go off like it was having a seizure. I left it alone and after a few minutes it stopped. The next day while driving it does the same thing. It drove ok and didn't stop but it is freaky how it could do this. Looks like I will be replacing the TIPM.

What is disappointing is that the jeep had the issue when on warranty and now I have to foot the bill. Stupid.
Wife's - '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L - Stock
ATS 245/70R16
SSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
SanJeep

TIPM or something else?

I know its an old thread but the prob goes on and on it seems.

2008 Unlimited Sahara auto, (My Wife Loves it) 65,000.

New battery about 3 months ago.
Start it up and it cranks fine. Prob is its stuck in park, the wipers come on and there are No dash lights.

Had the battery tested and its fine and there were No codes showing.

Thought it was the TIPM so I ordered one ($600 bucks + $75 core!)
I installed it set the key to Run for 12 seconds then to off.
Started it and the same thing is going on stuck in park, wipers on and no dash lights (gauges)

(Now I get to try to take that thing back!)

Had to wait on the TIPM so every time I needed to start the Jeep I would pull a battery cable for a few seconds (reboot?) and it would start and run fine.
Any ideas would be a Huge help!

Desperate in NC
SanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.