Poor Mileage 2013 JK Wrangler Sahara - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor Mileage 2013 JK Wrangler Sahara

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #31
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

I stated back about a year ago I was getting very poor mileage as well on my 13 Sahara (about 10 - 12Mpg) right off the lot. after about 15 thousand miles, I have gotten a little better (around 16 - 18). Here in east Michigan we have very poor winter gasoline blends (better in the summer) so I do better in the summer for sure. Probably don't use my autostart as much which helps also.

SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #32
ddough3

2014 Wrangler Unlimited 35"tires, 6-speed manual, 3.21 gears

I spent a lot of time in forums reading the posts concerning tire size, gearing, and gas mileage. After reading all the posts stating that you can't run 35s with 3.21 gearing I almost cancelled my appointment to put the lift and tires on, I'm glad I didn't.

My average MPG before the lift averaged between 19 - 19.5 around town, mix of stop and go traffic and a little highway. These figures were calculated by hand over many full tanks of gas.

I had a 3.5" lift put on (that actually lifted my jeep 4") and 35" Maxxis Bighorn tires. I calibrated the new tire size with Procal. I've been running this setup for approximately 4 months and I track MPG manually on every tank of gas. With the 4" lift and 35s I've lost approximately 3 MPG on around town driving, where I previously averaged 19 - 19.5 I now average 16 - 16.5. If I have more highway than stop and go I'll see that number push past 17.

I recently drove from Tampa to Gatlinburg, TN through the Smoky Mountains. With strictly highway driving I averaged 18.5 - 19.5 mpg. I kept the cruise control right at 70 mph the majority of the trip. For those concerned that you can't run 35s with 3.21 gears I haven't found that to be the case. The major difference is that I don't use 6th gear unless your on a flat stretch of highway. I traveled through the Smoky Mountains and at no time did my Jeep start rolling backwards due to loss of power as some on these forums would suggest.

I am very happy with the decision to lift the jeep and put on the 35s. The slight loss of fuel mileage is not that bad. I went from refueling with 365 miles on a tank of gas to refueling with 330 miles on a tank of gas. I refuel when the gas light comes on and I have never been able to put more than 19 gallons in the tank, usually it only takes 18 - 18.5. Apparently there's another three gallons of fuel in the tank when the gas light comes on the the gauge shows empty.

While I don't have a problem with the 3.21 gears, if I could go back in time the one modification I would make when buying the jeep is I would have ordered a model with the 3.73 or 4.10 gear package just to keep 6th gear if nothing else. Hope this helps.
ddough3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
poor gas mileage , sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.