Poor Mileage 2013 JK Wrangler Sahara - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor Mileage 2013 JK Wrangler Sahara

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know how you feel, My 13 JK with stock wheels with 3.73 rear axle gets about 12.5 in the city (I just took it on a long road trip to northern Michigan this last weekend and got about 19.5 (Which i am OK with) but the 12.5 in the city is killing me.

I am hoping New Jeep, breakin period, less use of the autostart when it warms up, and summer fuel mix brings me back to 16 or 17 in city... That was about what I was expecting. My 09 JK 2 dr got about 17 and 22 (figured a little drop but nothing like this). I love the 22.5 gal tank but hate filling it every week and a half $80.00 last Thursday and then again today after trip... Ouch

SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #17
deftones07
2011 JK Wrangler 

Never do the calculation off the size of your gas tank I think this is your issue with your calculation..along with everyone else said your computer not being calibrated.

I have a 2011 jk 2dr with 70 litre tank. Once the gas light is on i usually go fill up and i rarely am ever able to put more then 50 litres in it..

19mpg all the time with 33's
deftones07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
5foot19
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpca3 View Post
I bought my first JK about 2 months ago. It's a 2013 Sahara Unlimited with a dealer installed 2" lift and 33" tires. I drive it mostly on the highway in cold Alberta, Canada. My problem is the gas milage - at best it's getting about 350 km (218 miles) per tank. With a 22.5 gallon tank that works out to less than 10 miles per gallon. The on-board fuel economy display is showing a similar result - averaging about 23 l per 100KM (or about 10 miles per gallon). I took it into the dealer to get them to look it over and run a bunch of tests that did not reveal any obvious mechanical problems. (or so they say). The dealer said they could not do anything and poor milage is normal during the "break-in" period and that the lift and larger tires are also part of the problem. The Jeep has about 1,200 miles on it right now.

Everything I've read on this forum tells me I should be getting 15-20 mpg. At 70-75 Canadian dollars per tank, the jeep is quickly loosing it's appeal to me. My questions to the group:

a) is there anyone else out there with similar problems?
b) any ideas what could be wrong with it mechanically?
c) what should I do?

Thanks in advance!!
CP
jesus, my anemic 2011 gets twice the mileage yours gets :S
5foot19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you calculate/compare difference in tires weight with stock you will understand your issue. Also lift makes your Jeep taller which is worse for aerodynamic as well. That is why I stayed stock on suspension, just got better tires. Try to control tires pressure often, overpressure a bit helps, no AC, no open windows, no extra weight helps. Stop and go traffic effects mpg a lot too. Also it is not every Jeep, I was getting much better MPG on 2011/Grand Cherokee with same engine and tranny.

I know that Wrangler looks better with lift and larger tires for sure, but being rational is more important to me
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

First of all.....ITS BRAND NEW. Break it in. Your going to get HORSESH*T mileage for the first 5 to 10k miles. After that......if it still does't satisfy your fuel economy needs. Take it to the dealer and let them drive it......for a few days.....see what they get for mileage. Maybe you filling up with E85 or bad gas.
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreen666 View Post
Yeah get yourself the procal. I'm in a 2013 JKU on 35's and I'm getting 15-16 mpg city and 18-20 mpg highway.
WOW....that's pretty good. My wife has a 2013 JKU stock and she lucky to get 18 MPG on the highway!

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #22
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMech View Post
First of all.....ITS BRAND NEW. Break it in. Your going to get HORSESH*T mileage for the first 5 to 10k miles. After that......if it still does't satisfy your fuel economy needs. Take it to the dealer and let them drive it......for a few days.....see what they get for mileage. Maybe you filling up with E85 or bad gas.
I, for one, don't buy the "breakin" theory when it comes to MPG. I have a stock 2013 JK automatic with a 3:73 rear end. The worst gas milegae I have ever gotten is 17.4 MPG. The best gas mileage I have ever gotten is 20.4 MPG. This is with approximately 60/40 highway to city driving. I currently have 14,000 miles on the Jeep and the MPG is ALWAYS within those MPG paramenters I mentioned.

I previously owned a 2006 Wrangler Unlimited and although the overall MPG was slightly worse with that Jeep, the overall MPG was consistent throughout the time I owned it.

My wife has a 2013 JKU Sahara automatic with a 3:73 rear end. We purchased them together on the same day. Her MPG is slighly worse than mine but also consistent from day one. She has roughly 8,000 miles on her JKU.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMech View Post
the jeep wont run on e85 at least not the 012"s. do it at your peril.

the break in at best may gain you 1mpg. the mods will cost people more than that gain will ever see.

but I agree break it in meaning first 500 miles no high rpm dashes down the .25 mile. the break in is for the rear end and the front to lap the gears. the rest will fall apart soon enough lol.......
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
Dead-On
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley View Post
WOW....that's pretty good. My wife has a 2013 JKU stock and she lucky to get 18 MPG on the highway!

Mike

Same here with my 3.73 2013 JKU. I got 11K on mine and 18mpg/hwy 15-16 mpg/stop go city is the best I can get on a good day. My average mileage is about 16.9 mpg. I have no idea how some of you are getting 20+ mpg???
Dead-On is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
rak320
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 12' JK Sport and average 18-19, but can easily get 20-21 on highway at about 65 mph

Grant
rak320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm almost positive the dealer didn't adjust your speedo/computer. Here in the states, we are told that dealers can only adjust to stock sizes. Also..and I gotta say it...don't buy a Wrangler, lift it, put it on bigger wheels, then worry about fuel economy.

Get a Procal.....

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #27
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

i got the AEV procal...set the tiresize...netted 4mpg. why? like everyone else said. the transmision shift points are properly set for your tire size. your speedo is correct. etc. and yes i calculated the actual fuel usage and didnt go with what the dashbaord said.
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:20 AM   #28
rayder1

I saw gradual mileage gains all the way to 12 k miles. New... I got 15-16 hwy. now 18-19 with the cruise control set at 65 or 70 on long road trips.. 13 to 14 around town has always been what I got.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #29
Tamatacan
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you have a smartphone you should have available a GPS app. Mine gives me speed and distance traveled. Just drive and check to see if your speedo and odo are off. Betting they are. AEV pro cal you set it and forget it.
Tamatacan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
Glenntpr1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Men i hear you all. I have a 2013 JKU with 34 inch tires on stock wheels, a 2.5 TF lift and i cant get anything better than 14.7 MPG city.... Already used the procal
Glenntpr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
poor gas mileage , sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.