Poor Mileage 2013 JK Wrangler Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Poor Mileage 2013 JK Wrangler Sahara

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
cpca3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Poor Mileage 2013 JK Wrangler Sahara

I bought my first JK about 2 months ago. It's a 2013 Sahara Unlimited with a dealer installed 2" lift and 33" tires. I drive it mostly on the highway in cold Alberta, Canada. My problem is the gas milage - at best it's getting about 350 km (218 miles) per tank. With a 22.5 gallon tank that works out to less than 10 miles per gallon. The on-board fuel economy display is showing a similar result - averaging about 23 l per 100KM (or about 10 miles per gallon). I took it into the dealer to get them to look it over and run a bunch of tests that did not reveal any obvious mechanical problems. (or so they say). The dealer said they could not do anything and poor milage is normal during the "break-in" period and that the lift and larger tires are also part of the problem. The Jeep has about 1,200 miles on it right now.

Everything I've read on this forum tells me I should be getting 15-20 mpg. At 70-75 Canadian dollars per tank, the jeep is quickly loosing it's appeal to me. My questions to the group:

a) is there anyone else out there with similar problems?
b) any ideas what could be wrong with it mechanically?
c) what should I do?

Thanks in advance!!
CP

cpca3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Did they re-set the ECM to reflect the larger tires? If not, then you are reading low...my guess it should be around 15mpg...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
aldaman
2012 JK Wrangler 

For starters, get an AEV Procal to adjust your tire size, that in turn will calibrate your speedo/odometer to give you a true reading of your gas mileage unless you are doing a hand calculation and the result you posted is accurate. But you have to consider that you changed the dynamics of the jeep with the lift and bigger/heavier tires. Now there is more drag with the lift and rolling resistance with the tires. For me I have a 2.5" RK lift with 33" Boggers, I am averaging between 13-14mpg with that set-up. To me, that is my trade off for doing those mods and enjoying my Jeep for what it is....I have also heard about the Diablo sport intune programmer that supposably gives better gas mileage....

When my jeep was stock with the 4.10 gearing, I was averaging 14-15mpg city driving, so the drop in mpg is acceptable to me....
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I run 37s on 2" of lift and 4.11s on the 6 speed and I can easily grasp 17mpg on the interstate with my cruise control set to 70mph

Either your speedometer is wrong, (and it is) or there is something wrong with your jeep

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
teamgreen666
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah get yourself the procal. I'm in a 2013 JKU on 35's and I'm getting 15-16 mpg city and 18-20 mpg highway.
teamgreen666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

How fast are you driving? Anything above 70 mph makes a huge difference because of the way aerodynamics work. The slower you drive the better your mileage. Acceleration is also the mortal enemy of economy--you can make a big difference by accelerating very slowly. Try using the "Eco" feature. It's surprisingly difficult but if you have the disciplined to do it you'll be surprised. Use your cruise control as much as possible, even on surface streets. If you have to slow more than five mph on the highway, don't hit "resume" which causes you to accelerate sharply. Instead hit "set" and slowly step back up to speed over a few miles. There's a lot of little things you can do to increase mpg--do some research. Jeeps will get decent mileage if you're willing to do what it takes.
MYounts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

i agree with others, dealer didn't reset computer for the larger tires.speedo is registering less miles, so even your hand calc will be off.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Totally agree with all the above. When the gauge says the tank is empty there could still be 5-10 Litres still in there. Assuming the tank is empty then calculating by tank capacity will give you false numbers as will calculating using klm from an incorrect speedo.
First check speedo calibration then hand calculate your mileage as follows:
- Fill your tank to full.
- Set trip meter to 0
- go about your week driving as you usually do
- once you get to around 350klm fill tank
- record actual liters required to fill tank
- use the actual klm recorded on trip meter and actual liters used to calculate mileage.
- there is an app that can do this for you.
- repeat this over the course of 3-4 tanks of fuel and average.

Jeeps are known to be hard on fuel especially in the winter, but you can make a difference in how you drive.
I can get 18mpg (13L/100klm) by being mindfull of how I drive. This is with 08 unlimited 3.8l on 35" Pitbull tires, 2.5" lift, A/T, 3.73 factory gears running overdrive OFF ( equivalent of 5.13 gears). Speed is also a factor due to poor aerodynamics. Generally 50-60 mph (80-100kph) will yield the best mileage.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Emoto
2002 KJ Liberty 

Won't the odometer be off just the like speedo, if the tire size is not correctly set?
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you have an auto it's not shifting optimally if the tire size has not been set correctly.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto
Won't the odometer be off just the like speedo, if the tire size is not correctly set?
Yes it will .. They are one in the same.

Auto shiftpoints will be a little out but not enough to really matter. Factory tires are 32" so going to a 33 isn't that much difference.

It's more about getting the proper/accurate numbers to do the calculation so you know where you are at.

I am going to assume that the OP's Jeep also has factory 3.21 gears so stepping up to bigger tires is certainly going negatively affect mileage and drive ability.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm curious as to what gearing is in your jeep, also what tires you running are they e rated. Just another option to try is sell the lift with tires, swap out to stock with another owner and take that money and throw for a winch or new bumper. Perhaps your mileage will improve with more break in.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Go out some time and drive between two fuel stations that are a known distance between them, like 30 miles or so. Fill up at the first one, drive to the second one, fill up again. Now you know you just drove 30 miles, independent from the odometer and you know just how much fuel it took. If you are really getting 10mpg, you'll need 3 gallons. Then compare to the odometer, the mgp readout and see if it is reading accurately. If not, re calibrate with pro-cal or the dealer so these numbers agree. BTW, you can time yourself using a watch between mile-markers while you hold 60mph, if your speedo is accurate, it will take 60 seconds to go one mile at 60mph. If it takes a few seconds less, you were going faster than 60mph, roughly one mph for each second less than 60 sec. If it takes a few seconds more, then the you were going slower than 60 mph.

Good luck, gas is not cheap anymore, except in Venezuela... Seems like you could get 15-18...unless you are running really hard.
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just a thought, If you have remote start, sitting and idling while it warms up kills gas mileage.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Really cold weather? Icy/snowy roads? A little too heavy on the skinny pedal? Driving over 100 clicks per hour?

In reality going from stock 32's to 33's isn't much of a bump for the speedo - that's what, about a 3% difference? Sure it will add up, but methinks that the first points I mentioned might be the reason.

Try sticking to the speed limit for a tank, take it easy on the acceleration, and note if you encounter a lack of traction/slippage during acceleration. I know I get ****ty mileage during the winter and my driving habits affect the overall results dramatically. Plus if you're doing a lot of highway driving and you go over 110-120 clicks, your mileage will go to ****.

If that fails, then I'd say that there is something wrong.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
poor gas mileage , sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.