Plugs at 100k? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Plugs at 100k?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #16
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I replaced my Champions with NGK Iridium plugs at the suggestion of RIPP to work with their SC - seem to work fine so far. I did notice they are a cooler plug and gapped different than stock.

"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

The NGKs are probably iridium, which doesn't last as long as platinum, which doesn't last as long as copper.

Edit: Ok so it looks like copper and iridium plugs have similar life expectencies.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

GH. Can you give us a source of supporting data? News to some of us.
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Part of it looks like a combination of me having good luck with copper plugs back in the day (I never replaced a set with less than 30k) combined with a set of crappy platinums that lasted about the same.

But Denso recommends 30k miles for Iridium and 60k for platinum.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #20
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
The NGKs are probably iridium, which doesn't last as long as platinum, which doesn't last as long as copper.

Edit: Ok so it looks like copper and iridium plugs have similar life expectencies.
Iridium plugs have a 100k change interval,platinums are generally 60k,and copper plugs are 30k.

Copper plugs give the best spark just wear faster but are 2-10 times cheaper per plug then the others.
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Almost due for some on my JK, 86k on the factory plugs. My TJ I checked and instead of the factory .035 they were worn (proper term?) to .075... Ran so much better when I gave the 2.5L turd some new ones.
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #22
sgtmajor138
2009 JK Wrangler 

So what is the recommended replacement plug? I have 98k on my '09. I have not had it but a few months, but I was planning on replacing them soon anyway.
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatDiver View Post
I checked the plugs on my 2009 Sahara at 46,000 and they were already so far gone I couldn't imagine it was operating on all six cylinders. The original owner never took it offroad, she was a mall warrior so I know it's not the result of crawling. I installed the best plugs I could find and the fuel economy immediately jumped (which tells me the spark plugs were in fact causing trouble). It went from 16- to 20+. I expect to continue to upgrade things but was surprised to find modern spark plugs going out so quickly.
What does going off road have anything to do with premature spark plug wear?
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lower mileage for the same amount of wear, I think is what he meant.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Lower mileage for the same amount of wear, I think is what he meant.
How do you wear your plugs out faster while doing low rpm offroad driving.
I'm just not getting it. Tires, shocks, body parts, get abused but how do spark plugs?
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Think of it this way for sake of discussion. Let's say a plug is good for "x" number of sparks. It may be possible that the number of sparks, (sparks per mile?) is greater when offroading in high range than when driving at 70 mph down the freeway. If so, then the total number of sparks (x) is reached with less miles driven...seems like you would have to do an awful lot of low speed/high rpm off road work to really make a difference though...and, a plug does not fail after exactly "x" number of sparks.
Unread 08-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
CombatDiver

Offroading results in longer hours running versus miles. That was what I was referring to.
CombatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #28
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmajor138 View Post
So what is the recommended replacement plug? I have 98k on my '09. I have not had it but a few months, but I was planning on replacing them soon anyway.
The recommended plug is the factory plug. Others have tried other plugs with varying results but I can't see how it would make much if any difference in performance. Chryslers vehicles have always seemed to be finicky with plugs. Not all plug manufacturers heat ranges are the same, so a 14 champion may not be the same heat range as a bosch 14. As long as the heat ranges are the same you should be okay with other plugs.

My friend just replaced his with some NGK's and it is working great so their heat range must be close to the same. I have always liked the NGK's in my motorcycles and atvs. I haven't had any issues with the stock plugs, I just know that they need to be replaced at 50-60k. My hemi in my other jeep wants plugs every 40k and there are 16 of them.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #29
ncb

I replaced the plugs in my 2009 with 42k miles last week. With it using a quart of oil every 4K miles I was more curious how the plugs looked. I was surprised to find they looked like they should. The gap was at .065, but who knows if they were gapped at exactly .050 from the factory. The Champions I purchased at Vato Zone were damaged (2 were used) so I had to go with a set of Bosch plugs. It's running great.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #30
dukeboy_318
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anyone tried the E3 plugs in a JK? do they work?
dukeboy_318 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.