Plugs at 100k? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Plugs at 100k?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Plugs at 100k?

Did a tune up on the 07 JK yesterday. It has, (sorry, it's not a she and has no name), 102k miles on it. The manual says to change plugs and wires at 100k.
Do not wait that long. Jeep threw in the cheapest set of Champions they could find when it was new. Gap new at .045. Gap at replacement? .11. I'm surprised it passed smog last month.
I put in a set of OEM wires and Bosch Super Platinum plugs that will last an other 100k miles. The engine idles smoother and seems to make a little more usable HP but I'm guessing that's in my head only.
Also replaced the rear rotors and the high speed shimmy when braking is gone.
Bad new is that the drives side rear axle seal is leaking.
What a wonderful thing this unlimited power train warranty is. Called the dealer and yes, it's covered. I am never selling this Jeep.

Unread 08-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
What a wonderful thing this unlimited power train warranty is. Called the dealer and yes, it's covered. I am never selling this Jeep.
Win!
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

I feel 100k is too long for spark plugs too. Especially in Jeeps where the engine hours far exceed the average (think of crawling at 2-3mph in 4 lo all day). I will do my plugs at 50k.
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I did my plugs at 65k and they were ready for replacement!
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Did you see any improvement in fuel economy at all? I know it's a Jeep, but I am curious anyway.
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Yuck, I should probably do mine...79,000 miles and lots of hours crawling in Utah and Colorado...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Did you see any improvement in fuel economy at all? I know it's a Jeep, but I am curious anyway.
It's only been a couple of days. My commute is only 5 miles so it will be a little tough to get numbers until the weekend.
Unread 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

You should at least pull and check your plugs halfway through the interval.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree to change the plugs out more often than the recommended interval.

I've never been fussy about "platinum" plugs or the like. Those pin-shaped electrodes seem so gimmicky and mickey-mouse.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Had to do a short trip for the company yesterday. Filled up and spent 60 miles on the freeway. Filled up when I got back and got a honest 20 mpg on that short trip. I think it's an improvement. It certainly does run better, that I've noticed right away.
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

The stock plugs are platinum but mine were toast at under 50k, although my first engine was an oil burner so I am sure that played a role in that too.

Plugs are cheap and easy to do so why wait.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

The stock plugs in my 07 were not platinum. They were cheap champions. Check the model number on yours. Yes, oil will foul a plug but it will not erode an electrode. My plugs were very clean coming out at 100k but were shot. Gap was over .1
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
CombatDiver

I checked the plugs on my 2009 Sahara at 46,000 and they were already so far gone I couldn't imagine it was operating on all six cylinders. The original owner never took it offroad, she was a mall warrior so I know it's not the result of crawling. I installed the best plugs I could find and the fuel economy immediately jumped (which tells me the spark plugs were in fact causing trouble). It went from 16- to 20+. I expect to continue to upgrade things but was surprised to find modern spark plugs going out so quickly.
CombatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Great info. Never underestimate the ability of a car company to use crap components and hope you won't notice.

On my former trail Jeep (94 YJ) I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor @ 30k intervals. That was about 2x the recommended interval. May be worth following that plan on JK.
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am pretty sure the stock plugs in my 07 JK were RE14PLP5 and that is also what I got when I went to get new ones. If you look up that number you will find that it is a cheap champion plug (3.99ea) that has a PLATINUM electrode. The box says platinum on it too. Maybe it is all a lie and they aren't really platinum plugs, I just figured since Champion calls them platinum and the box says platinum that they were in fact platinum?

Are there better plugs out there? I have no idea but I do know that these champions are more expensive than the plugs my Hemi eats (NGK Plug) and they recommend changing those every 40k.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.