Please help me get to 70 mph on the Hwy- - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Please help me get to 70 mph on the Hwy-

RCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Itís probably best to let a shop do it that does a lot of gear changes. Doing it yourself can turn out to be a can of worms or worse. If not set-up properly your going to have trouble. No cutting corners on a gear install. Iím not saying that you arenít capable, just that sometimes itís best to let the more experienced handle things. For instance, Iíve done it on my CJ7 once but choose to have a shop do it this time. It can be very time consuming and frustrating too. I do all my wrenching and am extremely capable (had my own shop once) but know its best to farm my gear changes out. Auto Trans and differentials are not my expertise. To me itís just not worth it for something like this that Iíd be doing few and far between. Iíll just swallow some of my pride and move on. Good luck on whichever way you go.

And no itís not easier than a suspension lift. By the way, why did you use a spring compressor?

Unread 05-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #17
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

5.13s...

And if you have to ask, have someone else install them.
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
carcam

We had a shop put on the JK lift but it's an hour away and they're booked up a couple weeks. We did some suspension mods on a Defender ourselves and a small lift on a 4Runner (with coil spring compressors- a real PITA) but the gear changes sound too difficult for us. I had no idea. Thanks again for all the advice.
carcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #19
redrockin7
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcam View Post
We had a shop put on the JK lift but it's an hour away and they're booked up a couple weeks. We did some suspension mods on a Defender ourselves and a small lift on a 4Runner (with coil spring compressors- a real PITA) but the gear changes sound too difficult for us. I had no idea. Thanks again for all the advice.
Just deal with the sluggishness for a few weeks until a reputable 4x4 or gear shop can get you in... setting up gears is a precision process where a matter of milimeters (or maybe even less?!) can make the difference between a perfectly meshed gearset or a lot of future headaches...

You will love it though once you get some new gears, though... You could go 4.88 with the manual tranny if you wanted to keep the rpm a little lower in 6th gear. As long as you never intend to go to 37s that would be fine, otherwise 5.13 is the way to go.
redrockin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
carcam

It has the auto trans and we'll never go bigger than 35's but it sounds like the 5.13's are still the way to go.
carcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yup, 5:13ís are what most all say is best. Iím having a shop install them in 2 more days. Hope everyone was right. Like redrockin7 said, drive it until you find a shop. Iíve been driving mine like that for a few weeks now and it is definitely a slug this way but the wait is almost over.
Unread 05-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Do you gus feel like 5.13s are too much gear for 33s, with an auto? Im traveling quite a bit, and my tranny keeps muntin gon every hill trying to maintain 70-75. What kind of rpms can I expect in od?
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.