Please help me get to 70 mph on the Hwy- - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Please help me get to 70 mph on the Hwy-

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 05-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
carcam

Please help me get to 70 mph on the Hwy-

or at least keep me there.

Just put a 2.5" RC lift and 35" BFG AT's on a 2010 Rubicon. It looks amazing and rides surprisingly well. I have a 3 hr hwy drive I have to do occasionally and it's no problem at 65mph- speedo reads 60 but it's actually 65. But at 70mph, it's a struggle and wants to downshift at the slightest headwind or small hill. At 65, I'm getting 16.5 mpg but at 70 it drops to 14.

I knew the lift and bigger tires would have trade-offs and expected some of this. It's actually better than I thought around town. But I would sure like to be able to cruise just a little bit faster on the highway without the big drop in mpg or constant downshifting.

Any ideas? I tried a Superflow muffler but had to take it off- not a pleasant sound, drone at 2k rpm and the reduced back-pressure decreased the low end torque so it was noticeable slower around town.

I'm thinking I may have to change the gear ratio from 4.10 to 4.56's. That would take care of the gear ratio difference but may not help with the extra weight of the 35" tires which must be a big strain on the little 3.8L. Anyone tried this- couldn't find it in a search. The adds for Superchip and maybe a cold air intake sound like a possible solution to pick up enough HP to get me to 70 comfortably but I've heard mixed results and there's the hassle of re-flashing when taking it back to the dealer for warranty work.

Short of an AEV Hemi conversion, I may be stuck in the slow lane forever unless you have some ideas. Thanks for any thoughts.

carcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

Put in the new gears and you won't have any problem. Cold air won;t do anything. It is hard to get any HP out the minivan engines. Just change gears and go.
Green Jeep Club Member #254

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Jeep Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTJ View Post
'REAL Jeepers don`t cry about other Jeepers not waving at them!'
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
ncb

New gears and program computer so the shift points and tire size are correct.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

How many miles are on it?
I have a 4dr Rubi 35s and loaded down and have no problems reaching 85-90.
No performance mods!
Drive it like you stole it so the computer adjusts to driving style and is past 2000-2500 miles.
The PCM is detuned until then.
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
RMiksits
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you have 5.13 gears that helps a lot bud.
RMiksits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiksits View Post
you have 5.13 gears that helps a lot bud.
They are still in my garage.
I am still running 4:10s
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

carcam:

Expensive but Perfect Solution - Regear to 5.13-5.38 + AEV ProCal to calibrate shift points and gear ratio
Cheaper but Less Effective Solution - AEV ProCal to calibrate shift points + occasional use of the O/D off button

I've personally run 35"s with 4.10s and an automatic transmission (plus hundreds of pounds of add-ons) for over 35,000 miles now and I'm only planning on regearing if $1200 bucks lands in my lap. Granted I live in FL where there isn't a whole lot of hills but the hills I do drive (e.g. bridges) are overcome by turning off OverDrive.
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
carcam

Sounds like some new gears are in my future and maybe a computer re-program. Makes more sense than engine mods (on a minivan engine? never heard that but makes sense). Thanks a lot for the tips!
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Colockum
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get on a looong down hill...

Don't go with the Cold Air Intakes, the really don't do anything especally for the price. Check out this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...intake-558437/
Colockum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I know your pain. My X had 4.10's, and I ran 35's with the 4.10's for a year. It wasn't bad around town. But on the highway at 70mph, it was in and out of OD so much it was annoying. Any little incline or wind and it had to drop out of OD. And the cruise control was completely useless.

I have 5.13's now, and it is much better. It will hold 70+ with cruise control no problem, even on most hills.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #11
carcam

N2 Rock- why 5.13's and not 4.56's which is what would take it back to stock?
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Honestly- I felt the 4.10 with stock 32's was barely adequate. Even with the stock setup, it still had a lot of downshifting. Going up to 4.56 is such a small change, it wouldn't be worth the expense. I had a friend that went to 4.88's and he felt it still was not enough gear.

In the various JK forums, the general consensus amongst all owners that have regeared, is that 4.88 for manual, and 5.13's for auto is ideal for running 35" tires.

So with all that, I opted to go with 5.13's. And the performance is where I feel it should be. Gas mileage is the only negative. I get the same mileage around town, and about 2-3mpg less (than stock) on the highway.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

You need to re-gear. There is no debate. As soon as you added larger tires you also changed you your final drive ratio. If I were you I would listen to what the vast majority on this forum and the other forum are saying and go with 4:88’s for your manual trans.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #14
carcam

Re-gear it is- thanks for all the advice!
Unread 05-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
carcam

OK- so I'm going to put in 5.13's. Is this something I can do myself? How involved is it- special lubes, gaskets, etc. I'm assuming it has to be front and back. It's got to be easier than the lift with spring compressors. I have a lift, tools, some basic mechanical ability- not like most of you (day job is a root canal guy). Should I send it out? Do like getting my hands greasy (when it turns out). Any advice is appreciated.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.