Please help with Death Wobble Repair Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Please help with Death Wobble Repair Question

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 11-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
brap

Please help with Death Wobble Repair Question

Hello
I am starting to get the death wobble occasionally. I am pretty sure I diagnosed it. My tie rod is popping up and down on on e of the ends. I got under it while a friend turned it left to right. I have a new tie rod already and I went ahead and ordered the Grade 8 Bolt Kit from northridge 4x4. The question that I have is and forgive my ignorance on the subject. Where do these bolts go?
They did not include any information with it. Only a bag full of bolts, nuts, and washers.
Does anyone have anything I can print out that might help me?
Thank You
Jay

brap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Watch this video:
PlanMan is on this forum. He can answer your questions if his video does not help.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

The bolts should be used to replace the control arms bolts and the track bar bolts.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

All the torque specs are in the FAQ ,loosen and retorque them with the weight of the Jeep on the ground. It would be easy enough to remove one at a time and replace with the similar sized fastener as you go. I think the Northridge kit is for the front track bar and lower control arms is it not?

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
brap

Ok
Thank You guys.
brap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've installed the Northridge kit. It should replace all lower control arm and front and rear track bar bolts. It should also have both 14mm and 9/16 bolts for the TB. You choose which ones fit better. (Snug but don't force). I run the 9/16 as they fit perfectly snug with 0 play and I didn't have to force them in. The 14mm were too loose. Retorque after a couple hundred miles. 125ftlbs on all if I remember correctly.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
jbriones
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't feel bad when I got that kit too I was like huh.
I knew what they were for but they really go out on a limb thinking every customer is going to know exactly what to do with them.
jbriones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #8
GonzosWrangler
2013 JK Wrangler 

Same here, I had to use the Synergy's website instructions for their bolts. Basically the same, but theirs include bolts for the upper arms also. On my 2013, I had to use the 14mm bolt on the frame side of the trackbar, the 9/16 bolt fit fine on the axle side. Synergy's instructions indicate that for the 2013 model, Jeep changed the bushing on that side of the trackbar.
This kit really should bring instructions...
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is only one out of a number of issues that can lead to DW. Get bolts with the proper shoulder length and cut off the rest. You don't need a kit just a good hardware store.
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was reading synergy's instructions online to install their bolt kit, they made it sound like you could just pop a link off while the jeep was sitting under its weight. It just seems like the axle tires would want to walk with a link missing. I know i would not pop a link off without the body/ axle supported.
motoguy1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1251
I was reading synergy's instructions online to install their bolt kit, they made it sound like you could just pop a link off while the jeep was sitting under its weight. It just seems like the axle tires would want to walk with a link missing. I know i would not pop a link off without the body/ axle supported.
There are five links holding the axle in place. Four control arms. With three control arms in place, the axle is situated front to back, and kept from rotating. Removing/unbolting one at a time is just fine.

As for the track bar, the control arm bushings are also self centering. You don't want to drive around without the track bar, but removing it isn't going to make the jeep spontaneously jump out of the garage and into your child's bedroom or anything.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Raspy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
You don't want to drive around without the track bar, but removing it isn't going to make the jeep spontaneously jump out of the garage and into your child's bedroom or anything.
Love it! well said!
Raspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
skates04
2008 JK Wrangler 

3 inch bolts are for the track bars and the 4 inch bolts are for the lower control arms... Just go through and replace them one at a time, with the weight on the vehicle (Leave the Jeep on the ground with the tires on)

If things do not line up right after you remove a bolt you can easily line up the control arm holes by pushing on the tire. For the track bar have some one slightly turn the steering wheel.

I replaced mine today, I used a ratchet strap to line up the control arm bolt holes (didn't have anyone to help), Track bar bolts were as simple as pulling out the old and putting in the new.

Torque them to 130ftlbs (This is important, use a torque wrench), a breaker bar will help with getting the old hardware off.

Well worth the money and effort, my steering and front end feels rock solid. No play, no shimmy.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
skates04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
That is only one out of a number of issues that can lead to DW. Get bolts with the proper shoulder length and cut off the rest. You don't need a kit just a good hardware store.
The Northridge kit was actually cheaper than my Hardware stores in my area by 10-15 dollars.... I still just went to the hardware store because I didn't want to wait for shipping. Had to go to 2 different stores to get everything, Ace and Fastenal neither had enough of the bolts/nuts in stock. And both were more expensive. Im sure Lowes/Home Depot might have a bit better pricing.

9/16x18 fine thread by 3inch for the track bars, 4 inches for the control arms btw.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

When I changed the bolts, I supported some of the weight on jack stands so nothing would move. All the holes remained aligned.
Let it down and torqued everything.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.