Play tunes off my android phone +/- hands free phone support - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Play tunes off my android phone +/- hands free phone support

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
tturkstra
2008 JK Wrangler 

Play tunes off my android phone +/- hands free phone support

My search came up empty.

I just got a new android phone with enough memory to hold my entire music library. Unfortunately, my radio won't pair to phones since when I press the button, I get an error that the uconnect is not installed.

The dealer says they can install uconnect for $600, but that will just be for phone calling. An add-on is available to play from your iPhone, but not my Android. The half dozen threads on the subject don't clarify if the add-on uconnect is just for handsfree will allow music access as well.

Is there any aftermarket widget that will pair with a bluetooth phone and broadcast to the radio over FM? I assume that would also mute the music when talking on the phone. I'd rather not swap out my entire head unit and make it attractive to break into my jeep.

I'd be willing to use the aux-in jack, but the connector on the radio isn't great and introduces static, whateve sourse I use.

Thanks, Tim

Unread 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do a search on Crutchfield.com for bluetooth enabled radios for music playback. You should be able to pick one up cheap (<$200).
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have u connect and can play Bluetooth off my droid hands free including switching songs but the speakers seem to crackle when this happens. If you plug in with an aux into the radio, the crackling goes away and the sound it better however you lose the ability to change songs with the radio or steering wheel controls, you have to change using your phone.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
thebgkoolio
2013 JK Wrangler 

I use uconnect to stream music from my droid razr with no problems. Sound quality is decent. But since mine is a 2013 it may only be an option on the newer jeep radios. IDK. Probably the cheapest option would be an aftermarket radio. It will still run you a couple hundred but will be cheaper than buying a upgraded factory radio.

Sold: 94 zj -3.5" on 31's, bunch of other mods.
thebgkoolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Samsung Note 2 the soud quality is amazing it streams directly from the device. One thing to remember Plug the device into power my internal amp ont the phone cuts in half when using the line in this does not happen when streamin blue tooth.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Grimscale
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've tried streaming from my Droid Razr as well as from a Samsung Galaxy 2. The sound isn't bad...but it only comes out from the front speakers.
Any ideas how to make it use the whole sound system?
Grimscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
joedaman1999
2007 JK Wrangler 

HTC bluetooth adapter

I belive you are looking for this
joedaman1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

If your '08 model has MyGig, no matter if it has bluetooth or not, '11s and onwards are capable of A2DP, the bluetooth standard for streaming audio. '07s through 10's are not, otherwise this would be simpler for you and me. You can probably find another line in kit from crutchfield and use it. It is much harder to find radios compatible with android phones. (probably due to no manufacturers caring to have to figure out how to make it work with the monstrous amounts of them that exist. Not flaming, I love my Note 1 and Atrix before it)
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
Firejoe2006
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys I'm on the process of buying a 2011 wrangler unlimited and was wondering if I should have them install a uconnect while its at the dealership. Any thoughts?
Firejoe2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I use an external Bluetooth device plugged in the aux input on my 07 with nav and uconnect. I got it on eBay for around $25.00
I can stream from my ipod or my HTC Inspire phone. Both will pause if a call comes in.
Normally I have phone connected to MyGig and the ipod connected to the external bluetooth plugged in to the aux input

Unread 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
xsdbs

I would suggest it. Using hands free for making and receiving calls without having to have your phone in the hand is great and lets you keep your eyes on the road. Not to mention the ability to stream you audio files from the phone to thru the stereo. Also driver distraction laws are becoming stricter and in some areas you can get a ticket for using the phone itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firejoe2006 View Post
Hey guys I'm on the process of buying a 2011 wrangler unlimited and was wondering if I should have them install a uconnect while its at the dealership. Any thoughts?
xsdbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.