Plastic Bumper Replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Plastic Bumper Replacement?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-21-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
dbsjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Plastic Bumper Replacement?

I got rear ended and all it did was scratch up the tow hook and put a small scrape on the plastic bumper. The other cars hood and bumper were really damaged. I got underneath and looked and I could find no other damage to the JK these things are solid. Does anyone know if these plastic bumpers need to be replaced after a collision?

Unread 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Isn't the plastic just a shroud for a metal subframe?

I would imagine that if there's no real damage to the plastic and the subframe isn't bent you're good to go.
Kyoseki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

WELLLLLLLLL I would take the vehicle to the dealer and let them check it out. Why you ask? I am glad you asked

My sister was in her Geo Metro, she drove 140 miles a day for work, and she slid in the snow and got hit by a full size Blazer. She called me first thing at the scene to help her. I arrived at the scene and she was ok. What suprised me then but not now is the cop was going to allow the guy in the Blazer to pull her out of the ditch and let her drive the car. I told them, VERY NICELY I MIGHT ADD, that we would prefer a tow truck and I would take her home in my vehicle. The cop said that was not going to happen as it would take a few minutes and everyone would be on their way. I refused and said no, I was not comfortable with her driving it. The cop said if I didnt shut my mouth he would arrest me! Well of course I didnt shut my mouth and refused to let her drive the car. It was 6:45 am his shift was over at 7 am, we see why he was in a hurry. Well finally he said fine he called a tow truck.

Guess what, the tow driver said it was lucky we didnt drive, the frame had a crack in it and was just hanging by a small piece of metal. The gas tank split at the seam and was wide open. I asked him to explain that to the officer. The officer then actually apologized and admitted he wanted to just end his shift.

The insurance company did total the vehicle. I just wanted to let you know that yours may not be totalled but it is worth just looking at it by a pro.

You know why you got rear ended don't you? They were saying to themselves, "WOW THATS ONE OF THOSE NEW WRANGLERS" Then BAM!
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
mpersica

Definately have the jeep checked out. My wife hit some one turning in front of her 2 months ago. When I got to the scene i looked at the jeep and other than a bent bumper and left front fender hanging off, i saw no damage. So I got in and tried to drive it, no way. As of now we are at $10,000 worth of damage and the shop still has it. The other car was a total loss. They are tough but not industructible.
Good luck
mpersica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Joec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
Isn't the plastic just a shroud for a metal subframe?
On the JK, the bumper really is all plastic. Its a hollow plastic shell and weighs around 40 pounds (in my estimation). I had my rear bumper off to drill some holes for a CB antenna. IIRC it was four bolts and done! I think it really is a 'single use' item, meant to qualify as a bumper and survive the 3? 5? mph parking lot collision test.
2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Greystone, Auto, Power, Tow, Leather seats, Pneumatic Lumbar support, Seat Heat, GENTEX autodim mirror w/ map lights - temp - compass, AEM CAI, COOL TECH antenna mount, THULE Rack, CIBIE, Fuel Door, Grab Handles, Tuffy Trunk/Console/Overhead, Grill mod, Olympic Reversa bars,COOL TECH Magnaflow exhaust, Parking sensors,HESCO Supercharger
1972 C104 Commando - Stock
Joec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
UTAH

Yeah - the plastic bumper is more substantial than it appears. I had the front one off to install the tow hooks and found I had to cut through two layers of plastic to do the job. It's more than just a shell. There is some light stamped sheet metal inside the front bumper but it's more part of the bumper mount and fog light mount than meant to be a subframe for the bumper.

Bill

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.