Planning on buying a JK in the next month or two... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Planning on buying a JK in the next month or two...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
scottka

Planning on buying a JK in the next month or two...

So, I'm planing on buying a JK this summer once I sell m truck, but I just wanted your opinions and thoughts on the differences between years of the JK's. Are there any major diffs between the 07,08,09 models? Sorry if this is a lame question. Thanks tho.

scottka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
scottka

I'd also like everyone's opinions on the pros and cons of the diff trim levels... aka whether they're worth the price.
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Cavi

All pretty much the same, but the 07 had the advantage as all auto trannys and ones with tow pack came with 4:10 gears. After that you had to get rubi for those gears.
Models x is the stripped model, but available with lots as options, sahara is the most luxury from stock, and rubi is the most trail ready with better gearing, factory lockers and lower crawl box. If you will do serious,very serious trails this is the model for you, rubi is available stripped or with full luxury stuff
In a nutshell
Cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Those are good questions that have been covered pretty extensively. Try a search for a ton of debate on the trim level differences/value and what was new for each year. (For the most part, there weren't a lot of differences between the years and the value of the difference in trim levels depends heavily on what your usage will be, for answers in a nutshell)

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
scottka

Thanks a lot guys, I'll try to keep looking around and just kind of see what is available to me and decide from there. Thanks for the heads up on the search. Didn't think there would be many threads about trim levels. Shoulda checked.
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
YellowDuck
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you are getting a 6-spd then look for one with the tow kit, since it will have the 3.73 gears - makes a big difference. Not sure about the automatics. Dual top group is also a great option, since getting either the hard or soft top alone after the fact will cost big bucks. Also, the flip-back sunrider soft top is really really nice - you will use it a lot more than you would if you had to take the whole top down (and then put it up again when there was any chance of rain).
YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #7
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I hate the painted flares on the Sahara. The Sport with the upgrade package has the electronic luxuries, 3.73 gears, and 32'' tires and is cheaper then the Sahara.

IMHO, get the Rubi if you want lockers and better gears from the get go. Otherwise get the Sport with the upgrade package. If you want to do a serious build (regear, lockers, ect), get the Sport with the electronics package (Door locks and power windows) and add everything else yourself.

Personally, I bought a used '08 X (Sport) with the upgrade package. Specs: Auto tranny, 32'' tires, 3.73 gears, power everything interior. I love it as is. I don't need more then 3.73 gears as I'm only going to 33'' tires. I also got a fair amount of power out of a retune with the Flashpaq Superchip running a 93 octane tune.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
CooterTKE
2010 JK Wrangler 

first ask yourself what are your goals for the rig? Personally I would look for the Rubicon if you can.
CooterTKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
MA-Rubi

I am in the same boat. I am trying to decide if the Rubi is worth the extra $. I am planning on off roading for sure but only occasionally and probably nothing serious in the area that I live in, more trails, power lines, etc. If I am planning on a lift and 35's anyway and will have to re-gear is it worth the $ for the rubi just for the 44 front and the better transfer case, and electronic disconnects?
MA-Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

Here's a buyer's guide that JP Magazine wrote several issues back. It may help you with the info you need.

2007-2010 Jeep Wrangler JK Buyers Guide - Jp Magazine

If you want the detailed difference between the models, they're pretty much the same as the 2010 models so you can used Jeep's website to compare. The quick and dirty rundown:

X: for the budget minded or those planning to replace nearly everything anyways
Sahara: For those who stick mainly to the streets. Tons of comfort features.
Rubicon: One and done. It's a nearly complete off-road package right out the box.

Each vehicle is very capable when driving off the pavement. Something to keep in mind, all 2-door models have 4WD, but not all 4-door models have 4WD.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.