Planned mods - any expert comments? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Planned mods - any expert comments?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Roffensian
2010 JK Wrangler 

Planned mods - any expert comments?

Well having had my 10 Sahara 2 door for 3 weeks I've finally decided on my first list of mods. I'm new to the JK life so would be interested in any thoughts from the experts if you think that I'm being stoopid. It's a six speed with the 3.73 and limited slip.

Mopar black sill guards
Mopar black fuel door
Delta quad bar headlights
Real Wheels light guards - tail, side, signal
Rugged Ridge modular winch mount bumper, standard ends and hoop.
Warn M8000
Teraflex 1" Coil spacers (to offset the winch / bumper)
PIAA 520 SMR lights
MBRP 409 cat back exhaust
Superchips Flashpaq
Volant CAI (yes, I know, but with a flashpaq and exhaust, it stands a better chance of helping)
Pro Comp 7031 16x8 wheels
BFG T/A KOs 285/75/R16 (D load rating)
Mopar slush mats

Decided not to do a lift just yet as the Jeep is brand new.

Couple of quick questions on the winch - anyone know whether I can mount the solenoid to the winch with the light hoop in place on the bumper, or alternately if I can mount anywhere in hte engine bay without replacing cables?

The car is my DD, will need to do some fairly serious back road driving in winter weather and will see some light wheeling.

So what do you think - do I get a passing grade for my first set of JK mods?

Roffensian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hey man you should look a metalcloak bumpers. They are sick looking, indestructible and made in the U.S
Jeep Wrangler JK Bumpers and Body Armor
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Welcome....

The only item that may need adjustment is the headlights, you will get a better bang for your buck here:Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I mounted my solenoid box remotely on my last Jeep, you will need to extend the wiring.(but it looks better imo)
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

x2 on the Daniel Stern Lighting...put them in mine and they are great
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

It all looks fine except for the MBRP 409 cat back exhaust and Volant CAI. If it were me I wouldn’t waste my money on those products. Just drive somewhat aggressively for a few thousand miles (around 3000 to be exact) and your engine will get magically more powerful. It’s the little engine that could/can. Just be patient and you’ll see.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Buckshot
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
It all looks fine except for the MBRP 409 cat back exhaust and Volant CAI. If it were me I wouldn’t waste my money on those products. Just drive somewhat aggressively for a few thousand miles (around 3000 to be exact) and your engine will get magically more powerful. It’s the little engine that could/can. Just be patient and you’ll see.
I believe it! Got 4300 on her now and it seemed like one day (probably around 3K) she just decided to run better. Mileage is better, power seems better...maybe just me! YMMV
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I don’t think it’s just you. Most people will agree that that’s what happens. I know for a fact it happened to mine. Too bad it just doesn’t drive like that right off the lot.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I wish mine drove better now than it did when new...but I have modded the heck out of it without changing gears so...that probably explains it...got a flashpaq today, so maybe that will help...

to the OP, I personally would not waste money on the CAI, from everything I have read it doesn't do much...however, if you like it, it is your Jeep

I have a slightly differing opinion on the MBRP exhaust, I believe RIPP Mods, who makes a supercharger for the JK, says that exhaust is the only one that make any appreciable power gains on the stock motor and that is why they recommend it for their S/C kit...I think they have dyno charts to prove it, but I am not sure...they are sponsors on another aboard I am a member of...but you can google 'em...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Roffensian
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments guys. I e-mailed Daniel Stern and already got an extremely helpful reply back - amazing customer service, never mind the helpful advice. He's also pointing me away from the PIAAs, so may have some better options there as well. Looks like I am restricted to the factory wiring as I have a Canadian vehicle and need to run DRLs, but will still end up with a better product.

I am fairly local to MBRP up here in Canada and have seen (and heard) a few of their installs. I've read some good reviews and seen some good dyno results (although we all know that ain't real world), and heck - it sounds good so I'm fairly sold on that . I will need to reprogram for the larger tires so have an excuse to buy the Flashpaq, and I figured that if I am doing exhaust and computer then the CAI will make the largest difference that it's going to - I do agree that it's almost pointless on its own. Volant seems to be the best of the bunch in terms of quality so for the sake of a little more.... Haven't heard a Volant / MBRP combo so if anyone does have that sound anywhere I would be interested - rumble is good, whine not so much!

The wife has had her JKU for nearly three years and all it's cost me is a custom spare tire cover, I've had mine three weeks and suddenly I'm another $5k in the hole - I think I'm going to like this JK thing
Roffensian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffensian View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I e-mailed Daniel Stern and already got an extremely helpful reply back - amazing customer service, never mind the helpful advice. He's also pointing me away from the PIAAs, so may have some better options there as well. Looks like I am restricted to the factory wiring as I have a Canadian vehicle and need to run DRLs, but will still end up with a better product.

I am fairly local to MBRP up here in Canada and have seen (and heard) a few of their installs. I've read some good reviews and seen some good dyno results (although we all know that ain't real world), and heck - it sounds good so I'm fairly sold on that . I will need to reprogram for the larger tires so have an excuse to buy the Flashpaq, and I figured that if I am doing exhaust and computer then the CAI will make the largest difference that it's going to - I do agree that it's almost pointless on its own. Volant seems to be the best of the bunch in terms of quality so for the sake of a little more.... Haven't heard a Volant / MBRP combo so if anyone does have that sound anywhere I would be interested - rumble is good, whine not so much!

The wife has had her JKU for nearly three years and all it's cost me is a custom spare tire cover, I've had mine three weeks and suddenly I'm another $5k in the hole - I think I'm going to like this JK thing
Ahh...you have caught the mod bug....

Just Empty Every Pocket
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Buy a membership and stick around, you'll be a great addition to the looney bin!!
Unread 09-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
burlyq

Take a look at the 2007-2010 Jeep JK 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit with shock relocation brackets by Rough Country for Price: $139.95, it is just a coil spacer lift that includes shock mount move, but will give that baby a nice level strong stance for cheap. You don't need shocks or have to move drive shaft or anything else. If your doing a spacer raise anyway, why not do a spacer raise that will give you the most lift and performance w/o any modification? Another option is the Leveling Kit by Teraflex by 4wd that gives you 2 inches in the front, and one in the back, but doesn't relocate shocks, but again is just a spacer lift that will give you more lift w/o any other mods. The difference being that rough country one is about the same, but puts in the shock mount extender for free basically. I honestly think you will be more happy with your choice, the jeep will look a lot stouter just with that inch.

Go talk to your local dealership before you mess with air intake or exhaust or adding a chip. I know they aren't supposed too but that can mess with your warranty. Just go down there and ask about it.

This is the 4wd teraflex 2 inchs in front 1 rear, the rough country one even looks a little better.

burlyq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.