pinion angle/caster... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > pinion angle/caster...

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

pinion angle/caster...

alright, so i got a few questions here...

i am a newbie, so bear with me....

2 weekends ago, i installed the rock krawler 2.5 inch stock mod kit with some dudes that have done numerous lifts in the past, so they at least knew what they were doing, unlike me, unfortunately, but i am learning, slowly but surely...., im currently running on 33 inch km2s and 17 inch rims,...

i want to make sure that everything is set correctly, in reference to the geometry, steering, alignment, etc...so that i will not run into any issues down the road

with that said, i plan on getting a proper alignment done this upcoming week...

so my question is this, how important is it for me to check my pinion angle, caster, etc etc..

i honestly dont even really now what pinion angle and caster is. i know that pinion angle refers to the driveshaft and that caster refers to tire angle...but beyond that i dont know sh*t.

can someone help explain all this to me? or recommendations on what i should do? i have done numerous searches, but cannot find anything that explains it in layman, idiot proof terms..

so far, my jeep is driving fantastic,..no vibrations, no wobble, seems to be no major issues with alignment, steering....

08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Rdlynch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

At only a 2.5 in lift you need not be concerned with caster or pinion angle. That being said, the answer to your question in very, very simple terms:
Pinion angle is the angle between the drive shaft and the pinion shaft (the shaft coming out of the differential).
Caster angle is the angle between a vertical line through the axle and a line drawn between the upper and lower ball joints. Caster angle is what makes the tire want to self center and track in a straight line.
Since your running mice and smooth with no wobble I think you are good to go as is.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Since your running mice and smooth with no wobble I think you are good to go as is.

Come on, now! The 3.8 isn't THAT bad.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

cool thanks man. also, im thinking that next spring i will upgrade my stock mod kit to the max travel....how much would i expect to gain in suspension quality/flex from adding the r.k adjust lower control arms?? would it be worth investing in?....

i mean i assume there is a reason why their is a 500 dollar difference between the max travel and stock mod kits but....just wanted to access what i would expect to gain....

that is one of many reason why i am very happy with my decision to go with rk. their upgrades options seem to be limitless. and i have yet to hear one negative comment about there products, except the fact that they are expensive, but as i add begin to add more mods, the slogan "you get what you pay for" continually comes to mind.
08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

hahaha. i just got that! jk lol!
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Let's have a round for spell checker on the iPad lol.

"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

im thinking that next spring i will upgrade my stock mod kit to the max travel....how much would i expect to gain in suspension quality/flex from adding the r.k adjust lower control arms?? would it be worth investing in?....

i mean i assume there is a reason why their is a 500 dollar difference between the max travel and stock mod kits but....just wanted to access what i would expect to gain....
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

You will not gain any height though you may gain slightly in articulation because of the more flexible control-arm joints.
The price of the "Max travel kit" includes the front and rear lower control-arms and the longer stainless braided brake-lines. When bought separately the CA's cost about $279 per pair and the brake-lines are $110 per pair.
The main reason for changing the control-arms to an adjustable type is to make changes in pinion and caster angles. As said earlier in this thread you really don't need to adjust these points with a 2-1/2" lift. You can if you want but the changes will be hardly noticeable.
However you do it you can't go wrong

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

so all that would be gained is a lil added flex huh? alright....sounds good, ill add it to my future mod list. thanks!
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you keep an eye on the J/F classifieds, ebay, C/L, sometimes you can get a great deal on parts that were bought and never installed.
I bought my rear lowers for $150 off ebay and front lowers for $100 from the J/F classifieds. These were all brand new Currie Rock Jock and would have totaled about $700 retail.
Keep your eyes open, the deals are out there

Visit the EnviroBeat
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks dude. although i would be suprised to see any rock krawler "mid arm" control arms for much cheaper than retail, being that fact that their products seem to be so desired by members of our esteemed community.

either way, is it just because the joints on their control arms are adjustable and articulatable?? (i know thats not a word), that allows for more flex vs the stock arms? also, how much longer are the rock krawler mid arms vs stock? just curious....if you happen to know that is......
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

The mid arms are named as such because they are longer than the arms on TJ Wranglers. They are however adjustable +/- approx. 1/2" to 1" the stock factory length on a JK. (I don't know the exact numbers) they should be called standard arms but "MID" makes you think you're getting something more!
The joints pivot and the length of the arms are adjustable.

Visit the EnviroBeat
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

another question guys, since I installed this lift I have not yet brought my jeep in to get an alignment done, do you think that this is necessary after a 2.5 inch lift?

after the install we did adjust the steering wheel, because after the first test drive the esp went off and blah blah you guys know the story, but i understand that that has nothing to do with alignment.....

i do not really fully understand the concept of toe-in, and how to properly set it on your own so... (not very mechanically inclined).
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #14
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

basically do you guys think that it is necessary for me to bring it in to get an alignment done?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.