Pinch Seams (cut off wheel; Thanks 1222) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pinch Seams (cut off wheel; Thanks 1222)

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Pinch Seams (cut off wheel; Thanks 1222)

Well I got the 35s in my little storage hole near my front door. I've been itching to put these 35s on. So I'm starting to prepare.

Tools:
Light (it always comes in handy)
dremel and metal cut off wheel (a few come in handy I bought a pack of five)
tape (not needed, but helps protect what you dont want to cut into and for measurement)
Silicon
ruler or measuring tape (not in picture)
Oh i forgot.....a

Clean area...probably not necessary, but dremeling into dirt and going into your face....probably not pleasant

I put tape on plastic material so it could easily be ripped off and measured an inch from the edge of the tape. Then put that onto the vehicle. It was difficult to measure the inch on the curve. So I said "the hell with it". The two pictures below is what it looked like when I thought I was finished

Then I dug down deep found my balls and made it look a a little big better.

Dont forget the silicon. I wasn't shy with it, I was more concerned with rust then the way it looked.

Special thanks to 1222 and his pinch seam thread. Gave me the courage to tackle it. Wish I had a plasma cutter.
Notes: Cut-off wheel is not very stable. In order to cut metal you'll need high rpms...which makes it more uncontrollable. Be prepared for mess ups. I scratched places I didnt want to, but oh well its a jeep. It will see worse.

240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iím glade I was able to help in some small way. If this is the first time ever cutting into the body of your Jeep it can be very intimidating at best. That first cut is a *****. Glad you went back and cleaned up the original cut. Iím sure you just gave a few others the nerve to do the same. Great Job.

Almost forgot, you're welcome.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yup very first cut into the jeep. It was intimidating. You reach that point of aggravating where you say eff it and typically it works out or you fail miserably. This time I wasn't to aggravated I just thought it looked like poop. It still looks like poop, but with the silicon on it worked out pretty nicely. I only did the driver side passenger tomorrow. Anyone know a website forfreeshipping for rims to Alaska? This guy wanted 195 (each) for some standard steel hubs. I laughed in his face and walked out.
Unread 11-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you tried Northridge 4x4 yet? I know he has free shipping just not sure if it includes Alaska though.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

heck yeah....they saved me when I didnt read install instructions for the RE express. I drove like an hour north when i was in washington to pick up some wheel spacers.....installing my first lift without plenty of time was a PITA. 4wd has free shipping....so they say. They have military discount I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

How do i know if the rim will fit my tires. I got the wrangler mtrs kevlar 17. (35s) I see 17inches that are 8s and 9s. 5x5 is the bolt pattern little confused between the 8s and 9s. just want to make sure they fit before I buy. I bet 4wd can solve my problem.
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Im assuming you mean 8 or 9 inch width, if thats the case you can use either. I went with 8 inch to help with keeping a bead while aired down. The 9 inch isnt bad either and might help the tread wear a little more even. Cant go wrong with either one....if you ever wanted 37inch tires later you might want the 9 inch though sense they tend to be a little wider of a tire.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Made it to the F.A.Q.
JLC08JK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.