PICS.....snow, rOcKs.....and mud - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > PICS.....snow, rOcKs.....and mud

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #16
2002RockHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul olllllllo
rockhog, your rig is sick looking. please do not post any more pics because I am about ready to start knocking off liquor stores so I can afford one.
I needed that......thats so funny I laughed my ***** off and woke up the kids. The star is a magnet for California fear I'll get stopped by some overzealous cop-per or chippie. certain places here with that will certainly get their attention. Haven't had problems yet, so the plan is to give it time. The pics without it are actually older photo's. The hood star was just recently made and I'm putting the "07JK4" in military font on the rear qtr panels. I've also thought of taking the Rubicon stickers off and replacing them with military font as well.

Past...
2002 TJ Rock Crawler (sold to Adam)
Fill width Dana 60's Detroits 5.38 full floater
Poison Spyder cage, exo cage, 40" Swampers
2002RockHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #17
dblair1969

Can't say anything, other than "FREAK'N AWSOME MAN!" Well done, what kind of lift is that?
dblair1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
Nefarious

Nice seeing a new Rubi doing what it's meant to do.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #19
OnlyInMyXJ22
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Beautiful!!!!!!!

*2006 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
OnlyInMyXJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #20
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Ok. Don't be shy. Please tell details. Lift height/manufacturer, tire and wheel sizes, etc. I'm extremely impressed. That thing is too sweet.
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #21
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Damn! That is one bad-*** looking JK. Lots of potential there! I love the cage around it. It shows that 4 door JKs aren't just for Yuppies/Soccer Moms.

Looking forward to seeing some JKs on the trail this year.

So THAT is where the snow is.... Sunny California!

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #22
ToolFan

How does the engine handle those 38.5" super swampers? Did you regear it yet?
ToolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

that thing is so sick makes me wish I could afford a JK
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #24
FinallyJO

Looks like the axles are holding up - seems you need to push'm harder, in even more difficult terrain. Of course keep a photo journal for us to drool over, give us the details of the conditions that did'm in, and educate us on what improvements you'll add in repair/replacement. Outstanding job so far though. Your JK is a true off road machine, and you sir, are no poser.
FinallyJO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #25
lifetrecker

So what are the specifications on this thing? Are those stock rubi 44s or something else? I thought I saw some orange under there which screams dedenbear knuckles, but there isn't a real great view of them... Not sure... 38.5s on stock D44s and no hydro steering assist. Are the new JKs THAT much better or is driving that thing hell + kaboom on the drivetrain?
lifetrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #26
2002RockHog

Yes they are stock, and obviously not "kaboom" if its been on tons of trips, rock piles, snow, hills, mud, and sand.

(btw, if you haven't already heard or read, the axle shafts in the JK's are 32 spline, and when compared to my dana 60, 32 splines, they were the same diameter. They are THAT much better.

It's somewhat of a modified 4" lift, to more like a 6.5 in the front, and 4 in the rear. the 38.5 are ok, but honestly, it still needs gearing badly (gears will start shipping in Feb.) Exo cage is made from 1.5" DOM .120 wall, and the stinger is 1.75" DOM 1.50 wall. Bumbers were all hand made. i honestly think the U-joint is gonna be the first to go, but like you, I'm amazed everytime I take it out, or see action pictures of someone elses, and it didn't brake!

As far as hydro assist, I've learned to deal with it since in CA here, it is not street legal. But with the proper use of the front lockers, the wheel can be relatively easy to manuever.

Past...
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:01 AM   #27
lifetrecker

Wow, that's great to hear JK Rubicons have 32 spline shafts. Just got to worry about u-joints/Ring and Pinion now though. I didn't mean to sound negative there I just was in a bit of disbelief. I didn't know steering assists are against the law in CA, but is your rig currently legal there? I was under the impression that only full hydro was illegal. Anyways great rig and keep us updated.
lifetrecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #28
2002RockHog

Your right about the full hydro, but there are tons of new cops here who cant tell the difference and theyll write you even though, happens to almost everyone here. Other than the no mud flaps, it is currently legal. And you know Murphy's law, if they stop you because they notice the hydro, they will right you for everything. When I go to pismo, CHP usually post at the gates inspecting tow rigs with tape measures and rigs that are being driven into town. So it would just be one more thing to worry if I want to take the rig into town.

I too am woried the u joints will be the first to break, pretty sure that will be the case since the ring gear is beefed up on the JK's as well. But I am definately, without a doubt impressed. I had plans for DynaTrac ProRock's already had gotten the quote's before I finished this rig. But honestly, for what I do, I decided they would be a waste. But those that are full timers, sponsored, competition jeepers will and should disagree. But for me with the kids.............SAWEEEET!!!!

Past...
Unread 01-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #29
DINOCAVE
formerly CPT Jeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the pictures! I decided to get the 4dr JK for my next jeep but my wife wasn't really all that excited, until she saw those pictures. I had planned on getting 35" tires but seeing yours makes me want to go to 37s.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to run 37s on a Rubicon I would need:
4" lift
Re-gear
Steering Upgrade (my preference would be no hydro-assist, we'll see what the aftermaket comes up with).
Upgraded U-Joints.
DINOCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.