Pics of my New Bedlined Door Hinges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pics of my New Bedlined Door Hinges

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Pics of my New Bedlined Door Hinges

Started this little project last Saturday and finally got the doors back on yesterday. The outcome was worth it though.

DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I've been wanting to do this for some time now.

Question- did you remove the original/stock paint beforehand? My paint is bubbling/peeling on a couple hinges, so I'm betting I need to completely strip those hinges first.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Looks great!! Did you have any issues getting the hinges off (paint peelingbeyond hinge)? Did you do them yourself or have them done at a bedliner place?
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I've been wanting to do this for some time now.

Question- did you remove the original/stock paint beforehand? My paint is bubbling/peeling on a couple hinges, so I'm betting I need to completely strip those hinges first.
I had the exact same 'bubbling' on about half of my hinges. I used a dremel and completed sanded down through through the factory paint & base down to the bare metal before I painted. If you do it, I would at least sand off the clearcoat & paint at the least before bendlining.

I did not sand down the torx bolts at all before bedlining and as I noticed from when I put the hinges back on and torqing down the bolts the bedliner did not take anywhere near as good as it did on the sanded hinges.
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursandal View Post
Looks great!! Did you have any issues getting the hinges off (paint peelingbeyond hinge)? Did you do them yourself or have them done at a bedliner place?
Thanks. Surprisingly enough getting the hinges off was the easiest part of the whole thing. I just removed the two torx bolts from each hinge, then pulled. They are held on with some sort of thin layer of glue or something, but they came right off. Out of all 8 hinges none of them took any paint with them when they were removed.

The first one I went around with a razor blade, but I could tell that there wasn't any paint connecting the hinge to the door so I just pried them off from there.
Unread 06-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

another question: I've heard from numerous people that the door behind the hinges is unpainted. Did you do anything about that? Maybe throw a coat of Rustoleum on that area, or something?

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
another question: I've heard from numerous people that the door behind the hinges is unpainted. Did you do anything about that? Maybe throw a coat of Rustoleum on that area, or something?
Yeah, mine were unpainted. I really should have sanded down and threw a quick coat on there but I was worn out from all the other sanding & painting and didn't care enough to do so

So, yeah, if you have the patience I would definitely do that as well. It looked kinda gnarly under those hinges.
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks very nice!
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Now that looks nice, matchs the other black trim parts

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.

Last edited by Rudinater; 06-09-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice job. How well does it hold-up compared to paint?
Unread 06-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Jerzjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

I thoght it was going to look "not so good", but it looks great. Good job
Unread 06-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great..What did you use for the paint.
cadencedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #13
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks good DS!
Unread 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would also like to know what you used for the paint. I know you said bedliner but what brand? What was total cost? This along with the grill mesh mod would be a nice weekend project for me.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well now i know my RED JK will look good done the same way.
JC KJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.