Perplexed and Apalled - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Perplexed and Apalled

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

I think you can get a bad feeling about the new JK from the problems reported on here... because when owners have troubles, they'll share it on here with their peers and either look for feedback or support.

It only takes awhile to get thread after thread of troubles and few threads of "no problems"... because people rarely start threads of no problems, and who would want to read that anyway!

What you can feel good about is, there is a large knowledge base on here and when and if you have troubles or questions, there is a large community of Jeep owners who can usually give quick and wise ( or snarky ) feedback.

So go buy one already. Get whatever transmission floats your boat. They both have they're pluses and minuses. The farther away from the first year 07's you get , the more refinements and little tweaks as Jeep has addressed this or that... and they've got more to go, but it's still a great vehicle without peer.

yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #17
AlterEgo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Even on the automatics, all you have to do is to install an aftermarket transmission cooler and it won't overheat. To make doubly sure you don't get the fire, route the transmission vent hose to discharge where it won't contact anything hot enough to ignite any spewed fluid.
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
AlterEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #18
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Go with the manual. The 4 speed auto is a dog and constantly hunts for gears as well as takes forever to downshift. Worst transmission I have ever owned.

Maybe its better with 4:10s, but with 3:73s it sucks.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Go with the manual. The 4 speed auto is a dog and constantly hunts for gears as well as takes forever to downshift. Worst transmission I have ever owned.

Maybe its better with 4:10s, but with 3:73s it sucks.
That may be why my automatic suffers from none of what you describe. I love it. And I say that after 42 years of driving nothing but manuals (which I love too, as my VW is manual).
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
That may be why my automatic suffers from none of what you describe. I love it. And I say that after 42 years of driving nothing but manuals (which I love too, as my VW is manual).
Yeah Im pretty sure it has everything to do with gearing. At least thats what Ive been told.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'd have to say it's those 3.73's. I've got an '08 Rubicon Unlimited, stock, and an X w/ tow package on 37" tires. Both w/4.10 gears. And I have no problems with the 42RLE. It's only hunting for the next next vehicle to pass, hill to climb, or go down.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
Grizzly1
2010 JK Wrangler 

3.73 and 35's...hunts for gears butI wouldexpect it to. I will regear and procal asap. I have an auto and love it. Tranny cooler and rerouting hose are good calls....and on my list of things to do after afghanistan.

get the jeep man!

Grizzly
Grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #23
babesintoyland
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 Rubi with automatic and no transmission problems. Fire extinguisher never been used. 33,000 miles and no mechanical problems. Would recommed this vehicle, it's so fun to drive in the snow, and don't get me started about the summer with the top and doors off.
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #24
WindMeUp
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had an '07 Sahara 6-speed that didn't pop out of gear, and I have 1700 miles on my new 2010 Rubi and haven't had any issues with this 6-speed either. It seems to be a fairly common problem on the forums, I've been lucky and haven't had the opportunity to experience it.
[/SIZE]| TeraFlex 2.5" Performance BB w/ Shock Adaptors | AEV Pintler 17" in Argent | BFG KM2 35x12.50r17 | Rough Country 1.25" Body Lift | OR-Fab Tire Carrier w/ Can Mount | TeraFlex 3rd Brake Light Relocation Bracket |

[URL=http://www.northridge4x4.com][B][SIZE="4"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="White"][U][SIZE="3"]Northridge 4x4[/SIZE][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B][/URL]
WindMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:36 AM   #25
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

My automatic shifts just fine after flashing her... And for even better crisp shifts, you only have to disengage the O/D. It is very sharp without that engaged. Alas, a computer trying to maximize MPG just makes for some sloppy shifts once and awhile..

I'm very happy with my automatic...as I've got her set up now..
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #26
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

08 JKU, 6 speed Mt.

In my mind the ZF transmission (engineered, designed and manufactured from Germany) is one of the highlights of the JK platform. It is a great 6 speed. Thinks about that, a German 6 speed in an American Jeep!

Seriously, the 6 spd manual is a great transmission. Mine doesn't pop out of gear. It's only drawback that I've experienced in 2 years is it's sluggish when really cold. You gotta swim it a little if you need to up and skedaddle.

Throttle by wire, now that's a different story!

Buy a JK, it has the highest re-sale of any domestic vehicle currently anyway.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #27
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2010 Unlimited with th 6spd manual.
I have about 3200 miles on it now and it popped out of gear a few times. Most of the times it's when shifting to second gear and pulling up fast. It doesn't have a pattern though, it just happens sometimes...
I would guess i've had it 5~6 times in this 3200 miles.

I had a loaner from the dealer once too, which was an '08 manual with 35000 miles on it. That one couldn't stay in reverse (you had to hold it in there) and popped out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd very easily.
Jos360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #28
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have had no problems with my 2010, 6 spd.

In addition I am still running the stock 3.21 Gears with 35" tires. and I haven't had any problems with overheating. (knock on wood)
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #29
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonVette View Post
08 JKU, 6 speed Mt.

In my mind the ZF transmission (engineered, designed and manufactured from Germany) is one of the highlights of the JK platform. It is a great 6 speed. Thinks about that, a German 6 speed in an American Jeep!

Seriously, the 6 spd manual is a great transmission. Mine doesn't pop out of gear. It's only drawback that I've experienced in 2 years is it's sluggish when really cold. You gotta swim it a little if you need to up and skedaddle.

Throttle by wire, now that's a different story!

Buy a JK, it has the highest re-sale of any domestic vehicle currently anyway.
The current NSG370 (Nues SchaltGetriebe) is made by Daimler and not ZF..
We have a few USA builders left but they are all German owned (ZF and NVG) Borg Warner sold all their manual transmission business (T5-T45-T56 etc..) to Tremec Mexico since 1997..
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #30
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos360 View Post
I have a 2010 Unlimited with th 6spd manual.
I have about 3200 miles on it now and it popped out of gear a few times. Most of the times it's when shifting to second gear and pulling up fast. It doesn't have a pattern though, it just happens sometimes...
I would guess i've had it 5~6 times in this 3200 miles.

I had a loaner from the dealer once too, which was an '08 manual with 35000 miles on it. That one couldn't stay in reverse (you had to hold it in there) and popped out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd very easily.
This transmission can not be shifted too fast from 1 to 2nd gear..A too fast shift might create some indexing issues with the blocker ring and you will not engage the coupler sleeve fully over the 2nd gear..Hence setting you up for a JOG..
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • Perplexed - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (6 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.