Perplexed and Apalled - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Perplexed and Apalled

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #1
cg2005

Perplexed and Apalled

At 65 my body is telling me to get away from the dirt bikes and get into something a bit less strenuous.

The last time I owned a jeep was in 1965 and it had three levers sticking up through floor boards, one 3 speed gear shift, one for the two speed transfer case, and one to engage the front axles, IIRC. It was a true Willy's jeep. I believe it was made sometime in the early 1950's.

So I decided to do some research (joined this forum, drove a few different models both Jeep and others, and read the reviews) for a mid summer new vehicle purchase. The Wrangler is of course the first choice. However, I was just wondering if the Wrangler actually had a transmission that was worthy of the Jeep logo.

It appears that both the 6 speed manual and the 4 speed automatic suffer very debilitating malfunctions. The manual jumps out of gear and the automatic overheats and occasionally causes a meltdown for which the manufacturer appears to do very little.

I realize forums tend to emphasize problems due to the squeaky wheel gets the grease syndrome.

My basic question is does anyone know the percentage of vehicles experiencing these problems or where one might go to find out how many jeeps are malfunctioning, especially the 2010 models?

A second question would be, has anyone tested their State's Lemon Laws with regard to these problems?

cg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Welcome!

'09 6 speed. No problems at all.
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of non-lemon JKs on the road; I have one.

I know of at least one forum member who has had their lemon replaced under state lemonlaw regulations. Florida is good in this respect and I don't think that should be a concern for you. Best advice there, buy from a dealer you trust.

I moved to Jeeps from bikes as well after a heart attack. Took me about 3 months to adjust and like it; not looking back at all anymore.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

I've had my 07 6 speed for coming up on 3 years. I've never had it pop out of gear.
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I wish I could say my jeep never pops out of gear, but every now and then it does. I still love my jeep though and would buy another one in a second.

Where can you find stats on malfunctioning? I think that'd be hard to find. Chrysler probably isn't going to be tripping over itself to release that kind of information.

Are you saying your 50's jeep didn't have any issues? All vehicles have problems every now and then, but not all vehicles are Jeeps
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
cole925
2008 JK Wrangler 

BLUF: There is no centralized data on transmission problems (trust me, I looked extensively before purchasing my JK), all due to the manufacturer.

I've been a Chevy guy since I was 15, bought and sold 5 different models from '01 to '09. On every one of them (trucks and a Z06), there was a database that the dealership could access to answer your exact kind of question. For example, some '02 and '03 Z06 models had faulty valve-springs, but there was no official recall. I took mine into a dealer to see if they could tell me more, and they ran my VIN vs. other Z06's that had been brought to the Goodwrench guys across the country and we figured out I was in the clear because of my assembly date.

Now, compare that to my experience with Chrysler. I called a dealership before I went to TN to pick up my JK last week and asked "I have a VIN #, Carfax says there is 1 open recall on it, can you tell me what the recall is?" Maybe it is because I live in MS and incompetence runs rampant in this state, but the tech I spoke to at the dealership said "......uh..... no".

I'll spare you the details on the rest of the conversation, but we talked about the transmission problem as well. I think I've seen a TSB about the whole ordeal (somewhere on this forum), but nobody at the dealership will confirm or deny the existence of a manual transmission problem. It appears to be hit or miss though, because my '08 doesn't show any signs of transmission trouble.
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
cg2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjpwrangler View Post

Are you saying your 50's jeep didn't have any problems though?
No, I am not implying that at all. However, the problems I remember were easier to fix by a knowledgeable owner, kind of like most non fool injected dirt bikes, and I don't recall any melt downs.

Transmission malfunctions are, to me, a serious defect for vehicle used by many in semi remote locales and in sand like we have in Florida.

Perhaps a better question would have been, "How many have been endangered or left stranded by the transmission's malfunction?"
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have an 09 Auto and have had no problems with it. The overheating of the autos seems to be much more rare than the manuals popping out of gear.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg2005 View Post

Perhaps a better question would have been, "How many been endangered or left stranded by the transmission's malfunction?"
Depends on what malfunction a person has I guess. The fire would suck.

I did have the 4WD linkage cable break up in the woods. Could have risked it and drove home in 4WD, but I took the time lying under the Jeep on a gravel road to figure it out myself.

I haven't seen any issues with the transmission overheating, but I'm still thinking of installing a transmission cooler in the future. Looks to be an inexpensive mod.

Pick a vehicle and then research it, and you will find TSB's, recalls, complaints, etc... Go to a forum for that vehicle and you'll see many issues just like the ones we have with Jeeps.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have an 09 Auto and never experienced any overheating issues either. Something to consider for an extra ease of mind is to install a tranny cooler. I'll probably go this route eventually.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

cg2005

Welcome to the forum.. I bought my Jeep a few years ago..(I will be 67 this year.. no age limit for the Wrangler JK...)
I went for a manual transmission as I wanted to get as close as possible to the old Willys feel whilst wheeling around..
This transmission is a good and reliable work horse for the Wrangler JK..I am convinced they (Daimler) have resolved the 1/2 JOG (jump out of gear)..The other issues like hard 1/2 shift in colder weather etc.. are related to the triple cone synchronizer.. However, once the operating temps are reached, all is fine..

Enjoy
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #12
cg2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
cg2005

Welcome to the forum.. I bought my Jeep a few years ago..(I will be 67 this year.. no age limit for the Wrangler JK...)
I went for a manual transmission as I wanted to get as close as possible to the old Willys feel whilst wheeling around..
This transmission is a good and reliable work horse for the Wrangler JK..I am convinced they (Daimler) have resolved the 1/2 JOG (jump out of gear)..The other issues like hard 1/2 shift in colder weather etc.. are related to the triple cone synchronizer.. However, once the operating temps are reached, all is fine..

Enjoy
I was waiting for your reply as I have noted your analysis of the manual problem in this and other forums. The manual is my preference.
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg2005 View Post
I was waiting for your reply as I have noted your analysis of the manual problem in this and other forums. The manual is my preference.
Good decision.. and start saving for the mods...
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
jprcrpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have had four Wranglers(one five speed,one six speed and two automatics) and have had zero problems with either one. Maybe that is why I keep buying them. Welcome to the forum. I am 67 years old also and enjoy kicking around in the woods and on the logging roads. I still ride my motorcycle but try to stay on the the paved roads.
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
JWA

'09 Rubicon with an Auto here. ~11K miles on it without issue. That includes a few woods/farmland excursions, a couple trips to the Dunes, lots of time hauling my dirt bike on a hitch rack to and from trails and races, lots of time hauling my mountain bikes to and from trails, and plenty of time with my wife mall crawling and driving it to work. It isn't as "hardcore" as an old Willy's, but damn is it a great vehicle.

Sorry to hear about the pending dirt bike retirement, but the new Wranglers are a ton of fun.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • Perplexed - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (6 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.