performance mods to 2008 Wrangler Unlim X - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > performance mods to 2008 Wrangler Unlim X

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 09-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
xbill

performance mods to 2008 Wrangler Unlim X

Just bought my nephew a 2008 Unlim X with 107k miles as his first vehicle. Already lifted about 3" with 35 inch tires but appears to have nothing done mechanically and at this mileage it wouldn't hurt to replace anything. I was going to do the exhaust with a CAI and tune it up as sort of the low hanging fruit and wanted to get input on the forum about whether I should get performance headers, whether the long pipe RIPP or shorter pipes from other vendors. Just trying to add a little bit of oomph since the other changes aren't going to add a whole lot and it seems like headers are the next step. I don't want to spend the money on a supercharger. Appreciate any comments.

xbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

CAI is a total waste of money on a 3.8 and voted one of the biggest waste of money mods you can do. Throttle body spacer is also right up there.
Best mods with 35 inch tires:
1. Regear if you haven't already done so.
2. If an auto, then get a tuner so the shift points are optimized for regear and tire sizes.
3. RIPP it, SC first, then headers IMO headers by themselves will not give great performance increase without other mods first.
These mods will give real performance increases IMO and experience.

Ohhh, and welcome to the forum
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

RC tells it like itis--

regear/tuner are the first and formost !

Can'tbeatem

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
xbill

Its got 3.73 now. What would you regear to ? 4.10 or higher. Looking to balance economy with power.
xbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats a pretty broad question/answer--it depends on the jeeps use and whether it's a DD or not-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbill View Post
Its got 3.73 now. What would you regear to ? 4.10 or higher. Looking to balance economy with power.
The GENERAL regear ratio, for DD/light off-road is 4.88/1 ratio and for non/Rubi/medium off-road, it's 5.13/1 ratio-

For the Rubis/w auto--5.38/1 ratio, because the Rubi is supplied/w Dana 44s (HD) and they will support the ring/pinion size, which is larger than the Dana 30 ring/pinion-

Mine is the auto (mod)/w 5.38s and it's super efficient-

Remember, you SHOULD haveit done by a reputable suspension/gear shop--not dealer and the cost will be from $1200 to $2000 bucks-

There are other additions to consider while regearing, but the above is a general cost JUST for the gearing-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.