Pentastar Break In/Oil Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pentastar Break In/Oil Change

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
BlackedOut13Jk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pentastar Break In/Oil Change

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out if I should give my 2013 Wrangler an oil change at 500 miles or wait till the computer tells me. I know on most engines it's a good idea to clean out the oil after initial break in in case of small metal particles. Any ideas ? Merry Christmas....

BlackedOut13Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

You're going to get a thousand opinions on this one.
I have always done a break in oil change. It's just cheap insurance.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
BlackedOut13Jk
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I figured everyone would have their own views. I was just curious as to what most people have done with these engines. I'm most likely going to just change it because like you said it is cheap insurance.
BlackedOut13Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Green08

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
You're going to get a thousand opinions on this one.
I have always done a break in oil change. It's just cheap insurance.
I'm good for two early changes, one at 500 - 1k or so and then 2k.
Green08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new Jeep purchase!

With that said, read and follow the owners manual.

That's the only "insurance" you need.
Unread 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
jadmt
2013 JK Wrangler 

I held off until 1500 miles and then again at 4000 miles and from here on out I will go every 5000 miles. Sure it is wasting money but I don't waste money at strip clubs, so I guess I'm breaking even lol.
jadmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
jcgribks
2012 JK Wrangler 

I changed my 2012 JKU the 1st time at 1800 miles. I'm at 4700+ now so I'll be changing it again soon. I still want to change it between 3000-4000 miles I don't care what the manual says the change interval is.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
Green08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver View Post
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new Jeep purchase!

With that said, read and follow the owners manual.

That's the only "insurance" you need.
This is the same owners manual that has the 2012 running 5w30 and the 2013 running 5w20.

When I wrote in asking why the difference they wrote back without answering the question, saying "it's best to follow the manual"
Green08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nope, not on today's factory engines, but, I'd also avoid a full synthetic oil until the second scheduled change, today's engines are so almost perfectly matched/machined that true break in can take a while. Drive it modest, especially the first 30 hours or so, alternate throttle position often, keep an eye on oil/coolant levels and enjoy..5w-20 while important to a manufacturers CAFE still gives you solid protection. If you are in the hot deserts driving harsh then consider a 5W-30 and or/full synthetic in 5W-20/30 (Penzoil Platimum, Mobil ONE, etc.,). A quality filter is often much more important than oil brand (As long as it meets the Jeep/SAE specs and has the familiar starburst you are fine....)
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
red98tbs

Just did the first oil & filter change @ 1,000 miles on my '13 (dino oil). Will switch to synthetic @ 4,000 miles, change every 5 or 6k after that.
red98tbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
jadmt
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinWesternWA View Post
Nope, not on today's factory engines, but, I'd also avoid a full synthetic oil until the second scheduled change, today's engines are so almost perfectly matched/machined that true break in can take a while. Drive it modest, especially the first 30 hours or so, alternate throttle position often, keep an eye on oil/coolant levels and enjoy..5w-20 while important to a manufacturers CAFE still gives you solid protection. If you are in the hot deserts driving harsh then consider a 5W-30 and or/full synthetic in 5W-20/30 (Penzoil Platimum, Mobil ONE, etc.,). A quality filter is often much more important than oil brand (As long as it meets the Jeep/SAE specs and has the familiar starburst you are fine....)
funny thing is a lot of very expensive hi-po engines come from the factory with syn. I have been using synthetic oil in new engines since it came out in the 70's on cars, trucks and motorcycles and never had an oil related issue or actually any engine issue of any type.
jadmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
funny thing is a lot of very expensive hi-po engines come from the factory with syn. I have been using synthetic oil in new engines since it came out in the 70's on cars, trucks and motorcycles and never had an oil related issue or actually any engine issue of any type.
Synthetic is definitely the sh#t, but a bit pricey and probably overkill for the 3.8 and 3.6 unless it's going to see a life of towing.
You just want to know that your engine is completely worn in, when you add in the synthetic, some areas of your engine will almost stop wearing completely.
Personally at around 10k I go to a synthetic blend. Not much more than pure organic and a decent middle ground.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOut13Jk View Post
Hey guys I'm trying to figure out if I should give my 2013 Wrangler an oil change at 500 miles or wait till the computer tells me. I know on most engines it's a good idea to clean out the oil after initial break in in case of small metal particles. Any ideas ? Merry Christmas....
I didn't reset my oil light after the early change, and it didn't turn on until around 8k miles...so the question is, do you really want to run it THAT long? (the answer should be an emphatic no)
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOut13Jk
I think most (if not all) feel we know more than the engineers that designed the engine in the first place. Because we attack our rigs with all sorts of add-ons and high po replacement parts tends to lead us as individuals to think we're deeper in the "know". Well, listen to what is said in the manual and you'll be fine.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

First oil change - 5132 (4 months after purchase)
Next - 10146 (4 months later)
Next - 14503 (4 months later)
Next - 17706 (2.5 months later) Went to Synthetic

My first three were included in the purchase of my vehicle, or I would have went to synthetic at 10k.

Last edited by Walle; 12-27-2012 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: I am special
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.