Pennzoil 5w-30 dino oil - meets penta 3.6 specs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pennzoil 5w-30 dino oil - meets penta 3.6 specs?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! April Instant Rebate: Up to $75 off Flowmaster Products!

Unread 04-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
StraightSix9
2015 JK Wrangler 

Pennzoil 5w-30 dino oil - meets penta 3.6 specs?

Hello All,

According to Pennzoil some weights of their dino line of oils meet the Pentastar 3.6 specs. They do not say which weight though. I can get the 5w-30 oil at Sam's for about $2.00 a quart. As I understand 5w-30 is approved for the 2015 engines...
Any info would be appreciated.

StraightSix9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 03:03 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am under the impression the 3.6 with VVT needs 5w-20. As JWBishop points out in his post, the heavier oil means the VVT is thrown off..ie, delayed valve lift and changed overlap...maybe not even full lift.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

From the owners manual:
MOPAR® SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®, Shell Helix® or equivalent is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment” illustration in this section.

NOTE: MOPAR® SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil®, Shell Helix® or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.

Tells me it wont HURT. But also that it wont HELP. Vis is more important every day in the close tolerances these things are being machined at - and VVT is very affected by oil flow, so I would only use the 5-30 as a last resort - that is down a qt and 5-30 is the only oil on the shelf for a hundred miles. not a solution for budget conflicts... or as a "regular" use oil.
Unread 04-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is the first I have ever heard of someone claiming 5w30 is potentially worse than 5w20. Most of what I have researched shows the opposite. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, but I don't see the minimal increase in viscosity being that big of a deal. I did my first oil change at 2k miles on my 2015 with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30. I'll continue to use the same oil at 5k mile intervals.
Unread 04-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tjsahara View Post
I don't see the minimal increase in viscosity being that big of a deal. .
generally speaking I don't either. But folks more knowledgeable and smarter than I - do. And I understand quite well how the orifice in the lifter effects how it pumps up. That cant be refuted - a smaller hole means less exposure to oil pressure. Less exposure to oil pressure means less lift, duration and overlap. Raising vis has the same effect as reducing orifice.

That theory has been used to tune SBC chevies for YEARS (when HP/HV pumps are used because of a higher VIS (higher VIS is to make up the wider clearances in the bearings) a larger orifice must also be use (or more preload at install) - , the results are well documented - applying to a VVT is a small step fwd.. without a dyno its impossible to tell exactly what the change will yield in the torque curve. It could be better for all I know!
Unread 04-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 12 3.6 takes 5-30. Guess it depends on the year.
imag0155.jpg  
motoguy1251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1251 View Post
My 12 3.6 takes 5-30. Guess it depends on the year.
My 2012 says 5w30 as well, right on the oil fill cap.
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

14 & 15 spec 5/20 in owners manual.
Unread 04-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Cropduster23
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tjsahara
This is the first I have ever heard of someone claiming 5w30 is potentially worse than 5w20. Most of what I have researched shows the opposite. I'm not saying anyone is wrong or right, but I don't see the minimal increase in viscosity being that big of a deal. I did my first oil change at 2k miles on my 2015 with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30. I'll continue to use the same oil at 5k mile intervals.
Be careful with Mobil 1. While it is no doubt an outstanding oil that has proven itself time and time again, it is not MS-6395 certified. In the event of a warranty issue with the engine, this could be an issue. I have been a Mobil 1 user for most of my life in nearly every engine I have ever owned. My 2012 JKU gets 5w30 Dino Pennzoil because that is what the people who built the engine designed it to run with. I am not a huge pennzoil fan but it is what comes in the engine from the factory and it meets ms-6395.
Cropduster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 04:43 AM   #10
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster23 View Post
Be careful with Mobil 1. While it is no doubt an outstanding oil that has proven itself time and time again, it is not MS-6395 certified. In the event of a warranty issue with the engine, this could be an issue. I have been a Mobil 1 user for most of my life in nearly every engine I have ever owned. My 2012 JKU gets 5w30 Dino Pennzoil because that is what the people who built the engine designed it to run with. I am not a huge pennzoil fan but it is what comes in the engine from the factory and it meets ms-6395.
You can use Castrol, Valvoline, Quaker State.......just to name a few that also meet the Chrysler MS-6395 Specs.

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #11
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Walmart sells 5qt jugs of Valvoline Syn 5/20 for $23. Meets the spec.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Valvoli...Quart/15125778
Unread 04-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
StraightSix9
2015 JK Wrangler 

Pennzoil 5w-30 dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropdust View Post
I would like to stay with dino oil for the first 5-10,000miles.
At least for the summer months I think 5w-30 is better.

Thanks for your input.
StraightSix9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #13
98tjsahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So what changed, or what new information came about, that caused the manufacturers recommended oil to change from 5w30 in 2012, to 5w20 in 2014-2015?

Edit: Found this..
"From research off the net, the official reason is Mobil has not completed the two year field study mandated by the standard. Experts in the motor oil field are unanimous in their belief that Mobil 1 will have no trouble in securing the certification but until then owners looking to keep their fills compliant with MS-6395 (which might or might not have warranty implications) will need to seek other products."
Unread 04-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #14
LeighP
2013 JK Wrangler 

One acronym....CAFE. They're chasing every little advantage they can to meet CAFE averages.....so thinner oil helps.
LeighP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Correct. So ponder back some and think about all the high horsepower guys chasing every oz of torque they could all through the 70s and 80s while oem basked in the overkill approach lubrication.
Rule of thumb was lightest oil at highest volume through the bearings. And highest control of sling via scrapers. Keeping oil off the rotating mass lowers parasitic waste.
So mandates may have a good side effect by driving oem engineering into the same realm as high hp r&d.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.