Passenger side headlight, brights not working - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

Passenger side headlight, brights not working

So on another forum I've got some info posting towards a bad TPIM, but I'm hoping to find someone with this specific issue. My passenger bright light/running light goes out once I out the jeep in gear. It's not even the bulb or the light.

Anyone familiar with this? I'm hoping to avoid a new TPIM, especially without knowing for so pure that's even the issue. Dealer wants $100+ per hour just to diagnose the issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:05 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Need to be a little clearer on exactly which light is not working.

Is it the passenger side high beam, and passenger side parking light?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #3 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Need to be a little clearer on exactly which light is not working.

Is it the passenger side high beam, and passenger side parking light?
Sorry. Nothing to do with parking light. It's all the headlight. I call it the running light when the headlight switch is off, but it's in gear so the headlights are on. This is when only the drivers side works. Then if I turn the headlights on, both sides work. But if I turn the brights on, then the passenger side goes completely out again.
post #4 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You have your headlights programmed as daytime running lights?
Is this a factory program? Or a programmer, such as ProCal, and others?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #5 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You have your headlights programmed as daytime running lights?
Is this a factory program? Or a programmer, such as ProCal, and others?
Haha, good question. I thought they were this way from the factory. I bought it this summer, it's always been this way, just assumed it was factory. When I start the jeep they are off, as soon as I put it in any gear the headlights come on. Never paid attention to other jeeps to notice if they all had headlights on all the time.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't recall any early U.S. JKs having daytime running lights. Mine didn't, and the dealer couldn't program them to a U.S. Jk.
There is a good chance you have an aftermarket program installed. I really don't know for sure.

How long has the malfunction been happening?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #7 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't recall any early U.S. JKs having daytime running lights. Mine didn't, and the dealer couldn't program them to a U.S. Jk.
There is a good chance you have an aftermarket program installed. I really don't know for sure.

How long has the malfunction been happening?
About 3 weeks ago I purchased some led headlights, that's either when it started or possibly just when I first noticed it. I sent them back and they did say that one of the antiflicker harnesses was bad. I got different led headlights and noticed the same issue, so I tried the stock lights and of course the same issue. I don't think it was like this before the first LEDs, but I'm not sure. Maybe I just didn't notice.

What's a little strange is the first led headlights I got, I tried them Each on both sides, drivers and passengers, and the same light didn't work in either side. That's why I sent them back, but that was even before I put the jeep in gear, the new ones and the stock lights always seem to work until I put it in gear.

If I have some aftermarket program, would I be wise to just gave it flashed back to stock? I would have no way to find out what custom setting might be done to it would I? I got it from a dealer who got it in on trade, so I think that would be a dead end I'm sure.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If it has been like this since you owned it, and never noticed it, this is a possible scenario:

The headlights could be programmed to have the high beams be the daytime running lights,(DRL), at reduced voltage.
So, when you put it in gear, the high beams should come on.
When you turn on the regular headlights, the high beams go out, and the low beams take over.
Then, when you select high beams, the low beams go out, and the high beams come on.

If there is a bad connection for the passenger side high beam, it will be out when in DRL mode, and when you select high beams.

I would look for voltage at the passenger high beam connector pin with high beams on. If you get voltage, check for continuity from the ground pin in the connector to the body.

If you have an aftermarket program installed, I believe the dealer can flash everything back to stock, based on the VIN. Call and ask so you know in case you need to apply that option.

You said earlier you know it's not the bulb. Is that because the LEDs behave the same way as when you have the OEM bulbs installed?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #9 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If it has been like this since you owned it, and never noticed it, this is a possible scenario:

The headlights could be programmed to have the high beams be the daytime running lights,(DRL), at reduced voltage.
So, when you put it in gear, the high beams should come on.
When you turn on the regular headlights, the high beams go out, and the low beams take over.
Then, when you select high beams, the low beams go out, and the high beams come on.

If there is a bad connection for the passenger side high beam, it will be out when in DRL mode, and when you select high beams.

I would look for voltage at the passenger high beam connector pin with high beams on. If you get voltage, check for continuity from the ground pin in the connector to the body.

You said earlier you know it's not the bulb. Is that because the LEDs behave the same way as when you have the OEM bulbs installed?
I don't think it's a bad connection since it always works until I put it in gear, that's why someone else suggested it was probably the TPIM.

And yes, the reason I said it wasn't the bulb is because I've tried each led headlight and each stock headlight, so 4 different headlights all do the same thing when on the passenger side.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
I don't think it's a bad connection since it always works until I put it in gear, that's why someone else suggested it was probably the TPIM.

And yes, the reason I said it wasn't the bulb is because I've tried each led headlight and each stock headlight, so 4 different headlights all do the same thing when on the passenger side.
When it's not in gear, you can turn on the headlights and have normal low beams and normal high beams?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #11 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When it's not in gear, you can turn on the headlights and have normal low beams and normal high beams?
Yes, the problem starts after putting it in gear.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 08:08 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would suspect it's an aftermarket programming problem, then. I base that on my belief the early U.S. JKs did not come from the factory with daytime running lights.

Have you disconnected the battery during any of this? Disconnecting the battery negative cable for a few minutes will often correct bad computer/electrical behaviors.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #13 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have tried disconnecting the battery, that didn't work. Maybe I'll check with the dealer how much they charge to just reprogram it. Or maybe I just need to do the $100 diagnosis.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Do you plan to have the OEM lights in when you bring it to the dealer?

Let us know how it turns out.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #15 of 18 Old 11-12-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
jjk454ss
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you plan to have the OEM lights in when you bring it to the dealer?

Let us know how it turns out.
I was wondering what I should do. I'll probably leave in the LED lights, I would think that would be fine. I'll bring the stock lights with though in case they need them. I'll keep you updated. The one dealer I called today is scheduling later next week. Since I've got the day off tomorrow I may call around first thing in the morning and see if someone else can get me in tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.