Passenger-side air bag??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger-side air bag???

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
SPDSNYPR

Passenger-side air bag???

I read in the manual for my 07 unlimited wrangler that the passenger side air bag is supposed to have a scale that turns off the passenger side airbag if it thinks whatever in the passenger side is too light (like a kid). I have had both my 60-ish lb daughter and 75-ish lb son ride over there when the rear seats were folded (not at the same time), and the little light that says the pass airbag is off never came on.

Does anyone know the weight limit of the sensor? I have also carried things like a gym bag with some of my gear in it, and the light never came on. I was wondering if maybe mine just doesn't work right. Frankly, I would have preferred they left it like in the TJ where you just turned it off with a key - at least I knew when it was on and off.

SPDSNYPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't know the exact limits, but I have noticed the light turn on when carrying my laptop bag or a couple bags of groceries in the front seat. Probably something like 5-20 pounds from time to time. I've never had anything in the 50 to 100 lb ranges, so I'm not sure about your kids, but I think the gym bag should have deactivated the airbag.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
jeepers3

It's all described in the manual - give it a looksee.
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

He says he read the manual. You sure it gives the weight limits?
Unread 03-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
He says he read the manual. You sure it gives the weight limits?
Yeah, because I had the same questions and that's where I found the info. (: I believe that 40 pounds is the magic number, but I can't swear to it.
Unread 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
strykermp5

i had a heavy laptop case and miscellaneous equipment that activated the air bag off light... the manual says anything under 100lbs but over 5 lbs will turn off the airbag... my girlfriend is less than 100lbs but the airbag is still active... i really think the the "sensor" is a novel concept, but in reality... not very accurate

beside... you have seatbelts and a roll cage... good enough for me... and children are a lot more durable than people give them credit for!!

you get more fragile, the older you get...

when i was 80 lbs, i fell out of a tree about 2 stories up... landed flat on my back... caught my breath and walked away.

if i did that now... i would die flat out, probably before i hit the ground

Optional Equipment:
M4 (x2)
Sig 226
strykermp5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykermp5
the manual says anything under 100lbs but over 5 lbs will turn off the airbag...
Based on this, it sounds to me like you ought to get your sensor checked out. It could just be the light malfunctioning, but there's no way to know. You'd hate for your airbag to deploy with a little kid in the seat.
Unread 03-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
jeepers3

I like this thread because at one time, I was convinced the sensor in my brand new Jeep was broken too. I had never had a car with airbags before, so I didn't really know what to expect and so forth. My brother, who has a lot of experience with such things, had to explain to me over and over that it wasn't broken, and why, and so forth. We did a couple of experiments, and he showed me that system was behaving exactly the same as the system in his Titan pickup, and so forth.

Eventually, I was forced to conclude that the system was working as designed, but the design is just plain stupid. The purpose of the light is to tell you that the airbag is off. Who cares if the bag is off? What I want to know is when the airbag is ON!! I argued with with my brother and his opinion was that most of the time, the airbag is off since no one is sitting there, so if the light was on in this case, then it would burn out more quickly. Whatever. I still think it would be more useful to have confirmation that the bag is definitely on, rather than magically turned off, when certain conditions are met. Personally, I think the old key-based system for turning the bag off and on was infinitely superior to the occupant classification system. (:

My guess is that the sensor is working as designed.
Unread 03-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The Occupant Classification System (OCS), does not operate on weight alone. there a a series of calibrated sensors in the passenger seat that measure weight, and also how the weight is distributed in relation to the sensors.

In layman's terms, kids sit on seats different than adults sit on seats due to their height. Try this trick to understand, sit on a chair with your feet touching the floor, then, lift your feet off the floor, and notice how the chair feels different as you are sitting on it. When your feet are touching the floor, a portion of your weight is transferred to your feet and lower legs. When you lift your feet, your weight is now centered on your butt.

Kids are shorter than adults, and as such, theeir weight is distributed differently on a seat than an adult in the same seat. The disigners did a lot of testing and calibration to make the OCS system work, and they did a great job on it (the federal guidelines are very strict for this safety system). There is no magical weight to activate/de-activate the system. If you do not have a red airbag fault indicator on your dash display, then the system is working properly. If the red light is on, go see your dealer ASAP!

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #10
strykermp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
Based on this, it sounds to me like you ought to get your sensor checked out. It could just be the light malfunctioning, but there's no way to know. You'd hate for your airbag to deploy with a little kid in the seat.

good thing i dont have kids.. and little kids shouldnt be inthe front seat anyway.... kinda like leaving strapping your baby to the luggage rack

Optional Equipment:
M4 (x2)
Sig 226
Unread 03-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
strykermp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 000
The Occupant Classification System (OCS), does not operate on weight alone. there a a series of calibrated sensors in the passenger seat that measure weight, and also how the weight is distributed in relation to the sensors.

In layman's terms, kids sit on seats different than adults sit on seats due to their height. Try this trick to understand, sit on a chair with your feet touching the floor, then, lift your feet off the floor, and notice how the chair feels different as you are sitting on it. When your feet are touching the floor, a portion of your weight is transferred to your feet and lower legs. When you lift your feet, your weight is now centered on your butt.

Kids are shorter than adults, and as such, theeir weight is distributed differently on a seat than an adult in the same seat. The disigners did a lot of testing and calibration to make the OCS system work, and they did a great job on it (the federal guidelines are very strict for this safety system). There is no magical weight to activate/de-activate the system. If you do not have a red airbag fault indicator on your dash display, then the system is working properly. If the red light is on, go see your dealer ASAP!

all hail the mighty roll cage and those pesky seat belts!!!

speaking of, i am in the habit of taking off my seat belt when i enter the driveway... while s till moving, is there anyway to get rid of that annoying warning bell???

Optional Equipment:
M4 (x2)
Sig 226
Unread 03-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykermp5
kinda like leaving strapping your baby to the luggage rack
That's a good idea. I bet it makes for a more quiet ride, esp. on long trips.
Unread 03-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
Eventually, I was forced to conclude that the system was working as designed, but the design is just plain stupid. The purpose of the light is to tell you that the airbag is off. Who cares if the bag is off? What I want to know is when the airbag is ON!! I argued with with my brother and his opinion was that most of the time, the airbag is off since no one is sitting there, so if the light was on in this case, then it would burn out more quickly. Whatever. I still think it would be more useful to have confirmation that the bag is definitely on, rather than magically turned off, when certain conditions are met. Personally, I think the old key-based system for turning the bag off and on was infinitely superior to the occupant classification system. (:
Hey, I agree with you on this one. The reason it's stupid to me is that sometimes, no light means the airbag is on (when an adult is sitting there) and sometimes, no light means the airbag is off (when nothing or something light is sitting there). That's just plain cornfusin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
My guess is that the sensor is working as designed.
I have to disagree. One of those objects he put in the seat -- gym bag, son, or daughter, should have triggered the system and turned on the light.

Regardless, I'd rather assume it wasn't working and get it checked out than assume it was working and have someone get injured.
Unread 03-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #14
studdboyz75

airbags on a jeep ? I'm scared!
wouldnt they be set off during trail driving?
those things are pretty violent when set off.
Being an ex-firefighter I've seen many people with an airbag pattern imprinted on their face.
studdboyz75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdboyz75
airbags on a jeep ? I'm scared!
wouldnt they be set off during trail driving?
Yeah sure, if you run into something at a high rate of speed. Come to think of it, if that's what I am doing then yeah, I want it to go off. (:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.