Passenger door doesn't trigger interior light. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger door doesn't trigger interior light.

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
jdrames

Passenger door doesn't trigger interior light.

I tried searching this forum and google but couldn't seem to find anything matching my situation.

I have a 2011 JK Unlimited Sport and the passenger side door will not trigger the interior light when opened. It also will not unlock automatically. However the lock button for unlocking and locking all the doors thats located on the passenger door works fine as does the power windows. I've disconnected and reconnected the socket under the dash thinking perhaps it wasn't seated correctly. But that didn't fix anything. I'm wondering if there is a connector in the door that might be causing an issue? Something that controls the actual electronic locking mechanism in the door and also the interior light switch.

But wanted to see if that was even possible before I went tearing my door apart in search of said things.

jdrames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

When you say " However the lock button for unlocking and locking all the doors thats located on the passenger door works fine", do you mean the passenger door does, or does not, unlock when using the button on the passenger's door?

Does it lock with the rest of them?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
coptered
2011 JK Wrangler 

I had a broken wire in the disconnect plug that caused that on my 2011 Rubicon. The dealer tried to say it was the wiring for my windshield lights, but after 4 trips to the dealer I found a schematic online and I believe it was the purple wire in the connector was broken and when I was checking the pins that one just pulled out of the plug. The dealer replaced the harness when I took it back to them.
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
jdrames

There is the (a)manual lock for the door itself by the handle to open the door and then there is (b)the power lock button that is used to lock/unlock all the doors.

I am talking about (b), this will unlock/lock all the doors except obviously the passenger door. No electronic/automatic method works for unlocking the passenger door. So I have to either reach across the center console and unlock it using the (a) manual lock switch or unlock it using the key at the door.
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
jdrames

Quote:
Originally Posted by coptered View Post
I had a broken wire in the disconnect plug that caused that on my 2011 Rubicon. The dealer tried to say it was the wiring for my windshield lights, but after 4 trips to the dealer I found a schematic online and I believe it was the purple wire in the connector was broken and when I was checking the pins that one just pulled out of the plug. The dealer replaced the harness when I took it back to them.
Was that on the door connector portion or the connector under the dash?
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
jdrames

Checked the pins on the connector at the door and they all seem to be fine. So back to wondering if there is a harness inside.

Also as a side note:
1) the door ajar light does not come on for that door.
2) the dome light does not turn on when the door is opened.
3) When the handle is used to open the door it doesn't unlock all the rest of the doors like when it is functioning normally.
Unread 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrames View Post
Checked the pins on the connector at the door and they all seem to be fine. So back to wondering if there is a harness inside.

Also as a side note:
1) the door ajar light does not come on for that door.
2) the dome light does not turn on when the door is opened.
3) When the handle is used to open the door it doesn't unlock all the rest of the doors like when it is functioning normally.
There is a harness connector on the lock mechanism inside the door.
The connector has 4 pins for the door ajar switch, and the lock/unlock actuator.

Position Number and Wire Color:
1 TAN/BROWN - PASSENGER DOOR LOCK DRIVER
2 LIGHT GRAY/GRAY - PASSENGER DOOR UNLOCK DRIVER
3 VIOLET/WHITE - PASSENGER DOOR AJAR SWITCH SENSE
4 BLACK/WHITE - GROUND
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
jdrames

Thanks ronjenx. Looks like I'll be pulling the door off and working in the shop tonight to see if that connector has some how disconnected or if the wires inside the door have got frayed.
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have this same problem with my driver door, only difference is that it is only the door ajar switch that is not responding. I have swapped doors with someone else and that did not fix the problem. Does anyone else have information on the harness replacement?
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
jdrames

It was indeed the interior wire harness. The harness wasn't even routed through the opening to the latch at all. I'm thinking this was a something that got half-a$$ed when I had my door replaced a year ago after offroading and didn't notice until now.

Thanks ronjenx for the information.
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrames View Post
It was indeed the interior wire harness. The harness wasn't even routed through the opening to the latch at all. I'm thinking this was a something that got half-a$$ed when I had my door replaced a year ago after offroading and didn't notice until now.

Thanks ronjenx for the information.
Glad you got it fixed.

How hard was it to get to the point you could see what was wrong?
I have always dreaded working on vehicle doors.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.