Pass seat doesn't tilt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Pass seat doesn't tilt?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
yellojeepx
2010 JK Wrangler 

Pass seat doesn't tilt?

Purchase a new wrangler and found out I can't tilt my front seat forward,like on my old tj am I doing something wrong? how the hell does someone get in the back,the seat doesn't go forward enough.

yellojeepx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

You either need to be a small agile person or you have to get a four door. The last model with the fold and tilt seat was TJ, which the last model year of production was 2006. It is well documented on this forum that rear seat access sucks.

Alternatively, take the top off and jump in.
Unread 06-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

My JK passenger seat slides forward with the small lever to ease rear access.
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr auto w/4.10, Green Metallic, Freedom Top, Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5x17, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" suspension kit, K&N air filter, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, MyGig RER 2.045, Hella 700FF, KC Daylighters 631.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think Chrystler made the change to nudge people into the more expensive 4 door models.

Personally, the change doesn't bother me. I don't like to play taxi and no one at work likes crawling into the back now that it's lifted. I'm never on the hook for driving my group to lunch at the office
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thatís been a complaint ever since they came out. Just what the heck were they thinking when they decided to take that feature out? Itís a mystery to me. The previous CJís, YJís and TJís all tilted.
I think Iím going to have to go to the dealer and check it out. I want to see just how bad it really is.
Unread 06-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It probably had something to do with new safety standards or some such thing. Either that or it was a cost cutting measure. Given the JK's overall cheapness, it would not surprise me.
Unread 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
Igiveup
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Thatís been a complaint ever since they came out. Just what the heck were they thinking when they decided to take that feature out? Itís a mystery to me. The previous CJís, YJís and TJís all tilted.
I think Iím going to have to go to the dealer and check it out. I want to see just how bad it really is.
It's pretty bad. I find it easier to get in the back seat from the driver's side than the passenger's.
Igiveup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igiveup View Post
It's pretty bad. I find it easier to get in the back seat from the driver's side than the passenger's.
How so? The steering wheel is in the way so that is just that much less that it will move forward. Are you just being vicisous (sp?)....
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
HungryHeart
2012 JK Wrangler 

though I love my 2008 JK, the two worst design flaws in the JK were the passenger seat not tilting and the placement of the evap box, and neither were addressed in later models nad probably never will.....

cheers,
joe
HungryHeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm lost. You mean to tell me 07s slide forward but in 08 they took the feature out?
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr auto w/4.10, Green Metallic, Freedom Top, Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5x17, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" suspension kit, K&N air filter, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, MyGig RER 2.045, Hella 700FF, KC Daylighters 631.
Unread 06-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
I'm lost. You mean to tell me 07s slide forward but in 08 they took the feature out?
NO.

Older models such as YJ's and TJ's had a passenger seat that would lift and fold forward allowing easy rear seat access. The last model year of the TJ was 2006. JK's do not have this feature, the first model year of which is 2007 (although some were actually built in late 2006).

I haven't tried the two door JK's passenger seat, but I am sure it slides forward some (the normal front to back adjustment) and you can change the angle of the seat back (the normal adjustment), but it does not raise up and tilt like my YJ does. In 2007, rear seat access was actually worse than current model year because of the seat belt placement.
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I installed Mopar seat covers all around. When it came time to do the back seat, I slide the passanger seat forward and basically threw myself into the back seat. I'm definitely not a small agile person, but even if I were, it would not be an easy task, especially since Rubis don't have a side step. I think if I do eventually lift and add bigger tires, the back seat will be impossible without the top off and the back seat passanger climbing the tires.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I haven't tried the two door JK's passenger seat, but I am sure it slides forward some (the normal front to back adjustment) and you can change the angle of the seat back (the normal adjustment), but it does not raise up and tilt like my YJ does. In 2007, rear seat access was actually worse than current model year because of the seat belt placement.
You are correct in that it does not LiFT, but it does slide forward beyond the normal front to back adjustment. It slides further forward when you flip a small lever on the side.

EDIT: Actually, I'll take that back until I test it tomorrow. I know it slides completely forward with that lever (which the rear passenger can activate himself) and the seat slides back to it's original spot, but now I am not sure if the slide action takes the seat further forward than the regular seat adjustment will. It may just be a convenient way to slide the seat completely forward without having to readjust when putting it back.
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #14
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
You are correct in that it does not LiFT, but it does slide forward beyond the normal front to back adjustment. It slides further forward when you flip a small lever on the side.

EDIT: Actually, I'll take that back until I test it tomorrow. I know it slides completely forward with that lever (which the rear passenger can activate himself) and the seat slides back to it's original spot, but now I am not sure if the slide action takes the seat further forward than the regular seat adjustment will. It may just be a convenient way to slide the seat completely forward without having to readjust when putting it back.
It doesn't slide it any more forward than you could with the bar in front of the seat, but it will allow the back of the seat to go forward as well as the seat sliding forward, and it can be done by the rear passanger.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

my driver seat is broekn so dotne feel bad.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.