Part-time vs Shift-on-the-fly - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
messedupgirl77

Part-time vs Shift-on-the-fly

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at getting a JK in the next few months. This will be my first Jeep. I'm leaning towards a Rubi, just because I want one, but I'm wondering if I'll need it. This will be my main vehicle and I'll be doing very little off-roading, if any. My boyfriend is very "practical" and to him off-road equals insurance hike, or maybe he just doesn't trust my driving... I really wanted a 2dr but I've got a 100 lb Newfoundland that someday will be 180-200 lbs, so I really don't think it'll work. What I'm wondering is: Will I just be wasting money on a Rubi if I'm not off-roading? And what's the difference between the part-time (Rubi) and shift-on-the-fly (Sahara) 4WD? Sorry if it's a stupid question. I've only ever had 2WD and I'm really sick of them during Minnesota winters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 03:10 AM
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by messedupgirl77
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking at getting a JK in the next few months. This will be my first Jeep. I'm leaning towards a Rubi, just because I want one, but I'm wondering if I'll need it. This will be my main vehicle and I'll be doing very little off-roading, if any. My boyfriend is very "practical" and to him off-road equals insurance hike, or maybe he just doesn't trust my driving... I really wanted a 2dr but I've got a 100 lb Newfoundland that someday will be 180-200 lbs, so I really don't think it'll work. What I'm wondering is: Will I just be wasting money on a Rubi if I'm not off-roading? And what's the difference between the part-time (Rubi) and shift-on-the-fly (Sahara) 4WD? Sorry if it's a stupid question. I've only ever had 2WD and I'm really sick of them during Minnesota winters.
Yes you'd be wasting your money.

The biggest difference between the 2 is that the Rubicon has D44 axles front and rear standard. Theyre desirable because they can accomodate much larger wheels. The other is the standard selectable front and rear lockers. Again, ou wont need them if youre not going off road.

Difference between the 4wd drive systems is really the ability to lock the axles. Otherwise, as far as winter driving goes, the Sahara would suit you just fine.

Oh almost forgot, make sure you actually get a 4wd model! This is the fist time Jeep has ever offered the wrangler in 2wd (4 door models)
post #3 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 03:25 AM
calgonix
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you're not going off-road (or pretending you off-road) there is no need for a Rubicon. The axles are more durable and they have cool features (such as the selectable lockers), but you can get most of it aftermarket later on. It'll be cheaper and you can learn what you NEED then.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
messedupgirl77

Rubi vs. Sahara

That's what I expected (but not wanted) to hear. I'm not saying off road is out of the question. I'm pretty sure I can sweet talk my BF into it. So it would be cheaper to upgrade the Sahara later on rather than get it all in the Rubi? Money isn't too big an issue. I'm moving in with my BF in Jan, so I'll have an extra $679 a month that used to be rent. Whatever it is, it's going to be loaded.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 06:18 AM
EagerJeeper

A loaded Sahara will set you back as much as a Rubicon! Get the Rubi - it may be more than you need but your needs may change. Especially if you are already spending the money. My wife made this statement. "The big decision is to buy the jeep, it's not about spending a little extra to get it the way you want it". Now that's a smart women. Also boyfriends come and go. I hear jeeps stick around forever.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Sweeney
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you never go off-road then, yes, the Rubicon would be a waste, but, you don't need a Rubicon to go off-road.
All the Wranglers are part time 4wd AND shift on the fly. The shift from 2wd to 4wd can be done at speed... just make sure that no tires are spinning. It's best to ease up on the throttle a pinch while shifting so there is essentially no load on the drivetrain.
The vast majority of people will have plenty of fun bopping around off-road in a stock Jeep which is capable of upsetting most people's sense of what the vehicle can do, meaning, most people feel the Jeep is pushing the envelope way before the Jeep thinks it is
post #7 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 07:12 AM
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get what you want, it's your Jeep and your money. The Sahara or even the X would fit your needs but if you want the Rubi as a status symbol and the right to say you have the most capable 4wd built, go for it.

Getting the 4 door besides making the Newfoundland happy would also have better manners in the ice and snow. The 2 doors short wheel base makes them a little less stable on the icy stuff.

ALSO

Both have part time 4wd systems so I am not sure what you are referring to when you say, "shift on the fly vs. part time".

98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
post #8 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 AM
jam75944

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerJeeper
A loaded Sahara will set you back as much as a Rubicon! Get the Rubi - it may be more than you need but your needs may change. Especially if you are already spending the money. My wife made this statement. "The big decision is to buy the jeep, it's not about spending a little extra to get it the way you want it". Now that's a smart women. Also boyfriends come and go. I hear jeeps stick around forever.
I agree, I ordered a sahara, than changed it to rubi.. Its just makes more financial sense if you want something with all the goodies...plus if you ever need to get rid of the jeep..it will be much easier to sell with all the off road goodies. Most people that get these jeeps mainly have off roading in mind....i think!lol
post #9 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 AM
SecondTJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Part time is shift on the fly these days. I dont know of a part time system that requires you to stop to shift into it, its not like back in the day when you needed to stop lock the hubs and engage 4wd. You can shift into 4wd at upto 55mph

'98 Sport, 4.0, AX-15, D44, 3.73, stock w/ 10k original miles

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE, 1998 XJ
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just get the rubicon.
You won't have to do anything to it and it will have the real jeep tires that really complete the jeep "look"

While the sahara is just about as capable(aside from the front locker)it comes with lower profile street tires for more of a bling look.

Nobody ever got a rubicon and then wished they would have gotten a sahara instead

Oh, and the part-time and shift on the fly are one and the same. they just differentiate the two because most rubicon buyers want to know that it is part time 4WD not full-time or AWD(all wheel drive). While most sahara buyers just care that its shift on the fly so they dont have to get out and engage the yucky thing-a-ma-bobs on the front wheels
post #11 of 11 Old 10-30-2006, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
messedupgirl77

Thanks for the info on part time vs on the fly. I'll have to talk about the off road potential with my BF. My boss owns an offroad driving school. He says he has some dealership connections and might be able to get me a deal.

BTW, it's not about status, or right now I wouldn't be driving a "go-kart", as my BF calls it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.