Parking On An Incline - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
rcantrell52

Parking On An Incline

All,
Looking at purchasing a JKUS or R. I live on a street with an incline. My neighbor owned either 2015 or 16 JKU and had difficulties with the brakes when parking on the street. The braking problems always occurred when the front of the JKU was facing down hill. He could not get the parking brake to release or the transmission to go into gear. On a couple occasions a flat bed had to come and take the JKU to the dealer. Other times the neighbor would get his other SUV and push the JKU backwards to relieve the pressure on the parking brake or transmission. Does parking on an incline cause a problem with the parking brake releasing or the transmission going into gear? Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Reese

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 AM
chitown35

Pretty sure I know the "issue" you're describing, but it only happens when NOT setting the parking brake properly on an incline.

Don't do it right and you'll have some tension on the drive train, enough to actually hear some grinding when you put it back in gear. Do it wrong enough and I'm sure it would cause some more issues. On top of that, if you use your parking brake off road it can eventually become less effective and need to be adjusted occasionally.

On the other hand, I set my parking brake BEFORE releasing the brake pedal, and never have an issue as long as I do it this way. I also check occasionally to make sure the parking brake is working and actually stops the vehicle.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 AM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There is no mention of transmission type in either of the two previous posts.

It sounds like the issue is having a load on the parking pawl in the automatic transmission.
However, phrases like "the transmission to go into gear" and "hear some grinding when you put it back in gear" make it seem as though they could be talking about manual transmissions.

rcantrell52 and chitown35, what type of transmissions do you have?

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto

post #4 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 AM
chitown35

Auto. 2015.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 12:55 PM
63expert
2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Easy. Park downhill, wheels turned right into curb. Parking uphill, wheels turned left and backed into curb. Let vehicle settle against curb. Apply parking brake. Shift trans. to P
post #6 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 01:15 PM
chitown35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63expert View Post
Easy. Park downhill, wheels turned right into curb. Parking uphill, wheels turned left and backed into curb. Let vehicle settle against curb. Apply parking brake. Shift trans. to P
Minus the curb thing if it's a driveway...
post #7 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
rcantrell52

Parking On An Incline

The JKU that I reference had an automatic transmission.

Reese
post #8 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
rcantrell52

Parking On An Incline

All,
Thank you for your replies concerning this question.

Reese
post #9 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 02:00 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
All,
Looking at purchasing a JKUS or R. I live on a street with an incline. My neighbor owned either 2015 or 16 JKU and had difficulties with the brakes when parking on the street. The braking problems always occurred when the front of the JKU was facing down hill. He could not get the parking brake to release or the transmission to go into gear. On a couple occasions a flat bed had to come and take the JKU to the dealer. Other times the neighbor would get his other SUV and push the JKU backwards to relieve the pressure on the parking brake or transmission. Does parking on an incline cause a problem with the parking brake releasing or the transmission going into gear? Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Reese
I have not read any post regarding the parking brake failing to release when it's applied with the nose pointing down hill.
Most people have problems with the parking brake not holding hard enough.

If the vehicle is parked on an incline, and the transmission's park pawl is what's keeping it from rolling away, it will be hard to move the lever out of Park. It's not good for the pawl.

Similar to what chitown describes above, I apply the parking brake before releasing the service brakes. I don't put the transmission into Park until I can see it won't roll onto the transmission's park pawl.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #10 of 15 Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Follow Ron on this one! Its all about securing before releasing current brake. That applies coming off too which is why you have to have service brake down before pcm allows out of park. Not sure about the not releasing parking brake thing either.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 AM
63expert
2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
Minus the curb thing if it's a driveway...
In a sloped driveway situation you will need a perfectly functioning parking brake to keep any load off of the park pawl on the auto trans. Or a wheel chock.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 11:55 AM
Valkyrie0002
2009 JK Wrangler 

Like they said, always set the parking brake with foot firmly on the brake pedal before putting the trans into park. Put foot firmly on the brake pedal before shifting into gear and releasing parking brake. The issue many of us have is the parking brake does not hold well on an slope.

16 KL, 09 JKU X, OE rear locker and front discos. Sold 02 WJ, 83 CJ7, 65 & 74 CJ5s, 2 MJs, 88 XJ
post #13 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 03:59 PM
chitown35

It's easy enough to adjust the brake though
post #14 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
rcantrell52

Parking On An Incline

All,
I appreciate all of the responses regarding my question concerning parking on incline.

Reese
post #15 of 15 Old 09-26-2017, 06:10 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
It's easy enough to adjust the brake though
Yes, it is easy. But, a lot of people try it to no avail.

I adjusted mine once 9 years ago, and twice since, at rear brake changes. (Had to back them off to remove the disc/drum.)

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.