Parking Brake Is Self Adjusting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking Brake Is Self Adjusting

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Parking Brake Is Self Adjusting

I went out to the JK ('08) and did the following test;

I checked the parking brake's effectiveness. It took 5 clicks to prevent forward movement at idle, and 6 clicks to prevent forward movement with a little throttle.

I then ran in reverse a few mph, and slammed on the parking brake to stop (pulled up on the lever a little harder than usual). Did the same thing forward. I repeated this 5 times.

The next effectiveness check yielded the following results:

It now takes 3 clicks to prevent forward movement at idle, and 4 clicks to prevent forward movement with a little throttle. The lever feels better, too.

My conclusion:

The parking brake is self adjusting...to a point.

What's actually happening is, by exercising the parking brake in both directions, it is equalizing the two cables, and the four shoes, making the brake more effective with less handle pull.
If you are able to pull the handle way up, and the brake still is weak, you may need to adjust the brakes at the wheels. There is a star wheel on each brake that will adjust the shoes.
If the brakes are still weak, take the drums off to inspect the shoes for wear.

If the lever can be pulled all the way up with no brake action, the spring clutch arm in the lever assembly is probably broken. A new assembly is needed.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-21-2010 at 11:54 PM..
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wow deja vu. I just read this on JKF and asked you to clarify if you stopped with the regular brake or the hand brake. Thanks for clarifying. The procedure for manually adjusting it is a major PITA.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.