Painting Springs & Other Parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting Springs & Other Parts

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Painting Springs & Other Parts

I'm thinking of painting a few items Mopar blue to give my JK some custom touches. Can I paint my stock Rubicon springs? How do you stop the paint from cracking as the spring flexes? Any other items I should consider painting - keep in mind I'm looking for a few small highlights, nothing up and in your face. I think some rigs look cool with suspension parts painted.

SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Plasti dip......lol
Not sure what paint to use.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

You could try VHT epoxy paint , it is designed for suspension parts. Prep is key to any painting project so blasting tgem would be the easiest less time consuming way. In the end though they are still just stock springs you may soon eventually grow out of.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
TheMercenary556
2013 JK Wrangler 

Since your going to be pulling the springs anyway and going through all the trouble you might as well do a 2.5" lift at the same time, the cost for a basic TF or RK lift is not that much, and it would save you from having to do it again later
TheMercenary556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

But painting the springs is certain to give an additional 2" of lift, at least.
I painted my muffler flat black and the butt-o-meter says I gained an additional 5 HP.
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, if I do this, it will be when I install a TF 2" lift. I've got rubi springs and I do moderate off-roading, so I probably won't grow out of them too soon. I'll have to look into VHT epoxy paint.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.