Painting hard top/fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting hard top/fenders

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Painting hard top/fenders

So been wanting to match my ugly black hardtop to the body. But here is the catch, I own a deep sea blue jeep. Since it was discontinued so quick I can't find a matching top in the country. So I may paint it but am extremely nervous I may muck it up, but at the same time I don't wanna spend god knows how much for a pro to do it.

So my questions are,

Has anyone tried it?

If so hiw did it turn out, were you able to match your jeep with out much notice? I feel you will see how much the body had faded compared to a freshly painted hardtop.

Anyone's opinions and advice is welcome.

Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

Definitely have a body shop do it. If you try to do it yourself, it will not turn out well.

Rattle canning a bumper is easy. Color matching a hard top is not going to be easy.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
T00THD0C
2013 JK Wrangler 

+1 Have a pro do it. It shouldn't cost all that much, get quotes from several bodyshops in your area.
T00THD0C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
JEEP222
2007 JK Wrangler 

Before trying to match the paint tone you have the obstacle of removing the texture and working the fiberglass to make it look smooth like the rest of the jeep. So better off getting multiple quotes from body shops.
JEEP222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

I noticed the texture of it.... Do you think it will make a huge deal it not being smooth? Or do you think it has to be safes down or re worked to a more flat surface. And do you think it's possible to drop the top off aNd keep my jeep on the street. Or would it be best to leave it as one unit on the jeep. I don't feel comfortable not having my jeep. And I found a link to getting the exact same paint as used on my jeep so would it really be that hard to match? I may be a bit out to lunch asking this but I'm by no means a expert painter. I just feel my jeep will look dull compared to the fresh hard top. As my jku is a 2010
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

I mean if you were going to buy a matching top it would probably be $2000 or so. Should be way less than that to get it pro painted.
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88
I mean if you were going to buy a matching top it would probably be $2000 or so. Should be way less than that to get it pro painted.
I think a factory new painted hard top is closer to $3200 iirc. I sold my factory painted top to someone for $1700.

But yes I would think a shop could smooth it down and paint it for much less. I would absolutely remove the top from the body myself, much less worry about overspray.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok so I'll admit defeat on the hard top. I was extremely nervous about that anyways. I'll start looking around at some quotes next week or so. What about fenders? Has anyone had any experience painting the black factory fenders? I'm trying to eliminate all of this black on my jk.

On another note. I've come to the conclusion jeep needs to make a warning label for buyers saying they may experience excessive modding and dwindling bank accounts lol
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't paint the fenders unless its a street queen. My white factory fenders are pitted and chipped very badly from gravel, branches, rocks etc. Unless it stays on the road AND has something to keep from kicking debris up from the front tires, not worth the time or money in my opinion.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok, what if I do something along the lies of a colored Berliner? Won't chip from gravel an rocks. But will it adhere to the fenders? No this puppy is no street princess, but I do take pride in my jeep as its my first vehicle I've bought new and since u spent a dumb amount of money I want it looking good. I think it will look dumb having black fenders when te rest of my jeep is becoming white in blue color scheme. Black has been so over done and I want to do something original.
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
MikeHoncho88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Another option might be to look for someone who wants to do a trade. Or someone who took off the painted fenders might sell them, also check local auto recyclers.

Or you could just go the plastidip route. Get the whole thing done any color you want for less than $500. And you can change the color or go back to stock anytime you want.

Honestly just getting the fenders and top done should be pretty cheap if you aren't a perfectionist. I'd guess less than $1000 with minimal prep work.
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had a local shop paint over my textured hard top for $700. Looks good to me.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
SoCal_HEMIHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_HEMIHead View Post
I had a local shop paint over my textured hard top for $700. Looks good to me.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
How long did you have your jeep before you painted the top to match? Any noticeable fade on the body compared to your fresh top? Cause that's my biggest worry is it will be off a bit.
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

It's a 2008 and I just painted it a few months ago. No noticeable fade. Up close you notice the texture and therefore the color is slightly different since it doesn't have quite the same smooth shine as the body, but nothing really to note. I think it looks awesome. Kinda gives my Jeep a two tone look (black on bottom, silver on top) and certainly looks custom. Haven't quite seen another one like it. The MW3 Jeeps are similar, but they have painted fender flares. Personally I like the black flares matched with my tinted windows and satin black wheels.
SoCal_HEMIHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's exactly how I want to do my jeep! Except where you are black I want to make white. And of course my deep sea blue.
Thanks for the post though. It was nice to see someone got it done for under 1000$ cause I couldn't justify spending much more for straight cosmetic reasons.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.