Painting exhaust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting exhaust

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Painting exhaust

Did a search, but didn't find an answer to my question. My JKU is black and I want to paint the stock exhaust black. I have hi-temp black rattle can, but I can't find any primer that says hi-temp. Do I necessarily need to prime it?

Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

I don't think you have to use primer for high temp paint but the last time I painted any high temp parts was about 20 years ago so I may be way off base on this. One thing I do remember is that the prep work is even more important on high temp applications than normal if you want the finish to last for any length of time.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
xcstar
2004 TJ Wrangler 

From rustoleums website:

Make sure surface is clean and oil free. To prep the surface, wash with soap and water, then clean with Rust-Oleum Wax & Tar Remover. For heavily soiled areas you may need to repeat cleaning. Let area dry completely before beginning the next step.
Mask off areas surrounding the part to be painted to protect the rest of the vehicle from overspray.
Spray on the Rust-Oleum High Heat Primer.
Apply the Rust-Oleum High Heat Spray.
If you are baking a part in the oven, please know that the item may emit smoke and a harmless odor, This is normal. Also, make sure you don’t exceed the heat tolerance of the least heat tolerant part.
To cure painted parts on the vehicle, run your engine idle for 10 minutes. Next, shut off the engine and let cool for 20 minutes. Then, start the engine and idle for 20 minutes, followed by another 20 minutes of cooling with the engine off. Finally, run the vehicle under normal operating conditions for 30 minutes, after which you should allow the components to cool completely.
xcstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

In my experience, the high heat paint simply does not work on automotive exhausts. Rust sets in quickly. You're better off not wasting your time IMHO.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Kiriesh
2008 JK Wrangler 

I rattle canned mine with high heat and it seems to have held up ok. The sucker had already rusted some so I just cleaned what I could before I did. Not really expecting to stop a lot of rust but atleast better than seeing that rusty can under my rear bumper any time I look at the back.
Kiriesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
bbermann
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a hankerin to get this done shortly after getting the Jeep and just had plain black Rustoleum sitting around. I wiped the muffler with isopropyl alcohol and sprayed away.

It has been perfect for 11 months now.

Make sure the exhaust is not hot if wiping with IPA (or spraying paint).
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
wingit

Anyone have pics? Not close ups but what you would see as you walk up. I never thought about it but this seems like a good idea.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm doing it for looks, not rust cover up/prevention. My JKU only has 600 miles on it. I plan on getting aftermarket exhaust down the road. I just want it to look good for now.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I did mine a few months ago with some type of high heat paint, can't remember what brand. It was very rusty already when I did it, so I didn't have high hopes. I just cleaned up as much of the rust as I could, wiped it down with denatured alcohol and sprayed away.

Some of the rust is starting to come through, but it's not noticeable until you get very close up. Still looks much better than it did before painting it. Until I replace the exhaust, I'll probably just spray another coat of paint every few months.

On a related note, does anyone know of a stainless exhaust that is no louder than stock?
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
Did a search, but didn't find an answer to my question. My JKU is black and I want to paint the stock exhaust black. I have hi-temp black rattle can, but I can't find any primer that says hi-temp. Do I necessarily need to prime it?
No primer needed; I painted the exhaust on our 2008 after it started to discolor. I didn't even bother to tape-off (mask) the surrounding area. I grabbed a piece of cardboard and wedged it behind the exhaust and used High Temp flat black spray paint (aka Barbecue Paint). It has held-up very well with the occasional quick re-spray, as paint naurally oxidizes.

I'm going to do the same on our 2013 if the muffler and tail pipe start to discolor.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Anyone have pics? Not close ups but what you would see as you walk up. I never thought about it but this seems like a good idea.
Here are a few pictures; from a distance (not the best clarity from a cell picture), close-up, and the paint that I used.
photo-3-.jpg

photo-5-.jpg

photo-4-.jpg

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Also, the second picture makes the exhaust look brown, but it looks good and more of a true matte black in person; just haven't washed underneath in a while.
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Sweet DangFoo. I wasn't planning on going all over town looking for hi temp primer. Did you remove the muffler to do yours?
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis
Sweet DangFoo. I wasn't planning on going all over town looking for hi temp primer. Did you remove the muffler to do yours?
No need to remove the muffler. Just park in a well ventilated area and use a flexible piece of cardboard to protect other parts, frame, and the body from overspray. I did a few coats and this stuff dries very fast in all but the coldest of temperatures. I didn't show a side photo, but I coated the tailpipe as well, so that it's a uniform look.
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used high temp header paint. rubbed down with a 3m sanding pad and sprayed in place. Now it's more brown with baked on mud and clay.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.