Painted Hardtop Inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Painted Hardtop Inside

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

Painted Hardtop Inside

I did a lot of looking around before attempting this and there aren't that many threads about painting the inside. Or I am just horrible at searching for things as the wife informs me. But I decided to paint the inside of my hardtop.

Every thread I read on this was done with spray paint, typically a matte black or plasti dip. I did want a dark color but not black. I had done some of the trim pieces in a deep purple and I liked it so I got a color matched oil based paint and primer. I brushed it on as I am better with a brush than a spray can. Also since I have the soft top on I can let the top sit for a few weeks to fully cure and air out as the oil based is a bit smelly.

Picked these up at Sherwin Williams, Labor Day Sale 19.99 a piece.

On to prep work. Since I went with an oil based in stead of spray can there is no sanding required just clean like crazy. I used paint thinner to remove any marks and distilled water to wash down.

If you go this route you can decide if you wanna tape the back windows or not, as I said I am good with a brush so I did not. I did remove the back window and tucked the wires up into the holes out of the way. The cover for the wiper/defroster plug was removed and painted as well. Hence the hole on the left side.

The primer went on well and dried much faster than expected but I still let it sit over night to make sure it dried fully. Only used about half the can of primer.

rdnck_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

Instead of doing every piece of white I could find I did skip parts that won't show, no sense in wasting paint.

After letting sit for 24 hours I put a coat of the paint on, it covered well enough that I only did one coat. If you have never worked with oil based paint before you want to make sure you put it on in small spots as it doesn't spread as well.

With the primer being tinted, I put it on a little heavy to make sure I didn't have to do 2 coats. It takes much longer to dry but only doing 1 coat is only doing 1 coat.

Once completed I would suggest leaving for 24 hours then do 2nd coat if needed. I didn't need to so I put the hardware back on the front piece and set them on a shelf and put the back window on and hung it back up.

Yes I know there is no paint, this pic is from when I just got the hardtop and hung it in the garage as I will only use it in the winter. But it is hanging back up there now painted.

I will leave it up there for a min 2 weeks probably 3 or 4 before I put it on for the winter. That way it fully cures as the paint can take up to 30 days to fully set.

I really like the color I think I might do some more pieces and my wife has nicknamed my Jeep the Purple People Eater. Might have that cut into the bumper if I ever get around to building it.
Unread 08-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

you do know there is a reason why its painted white,its to keep temps cooler in jeep and the darker the color the hotter its gonna be inside jeep it also gathers light better to see in low light conditions that's why if you look inside military tanks all the way back to WWII they are painted white on inside
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

Didnt know that on army vehicles. All the ones I have seen in were a light brown or green. I have always had dark interior cars mostly charcoal or black, personal preference I guess. I am hoping for a bit more heat. Don't get me wrong the softop did great this past winter on the -20 degree days but a little quicker heat is always welcomed.
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, that's kewl-

Too many jeep owners don't realize that jeeps are extensions of individual personalities and what's OK for you isn't Ok for them--

Everybody's gotta story and we would be so much better off if we just let "OTHER" people enjoy "THEIR" favors-

So many different incomes/likes/wants/needs/trends/habits-

--Live and let be--enjoy

Forums bring it all out !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
rdnck_8
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Everybody's gotta story and we would be so much better off if we just let "OTHER" people enjoy "THEIR" favors
Couldn't have said it better. Bought my jeep 3 years ago, my first, and came across this forum while looking for help installing a cruise control. At least once a week I find myself saying how did he think of that.

Down side though is I see a lot of mods I want to do but the wife reminds me of the pesky mortgage and she insist the kids need 3 meals a day.
Unread 09-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

RIGHT-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnck_8 View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Bought my jeep 3 years ago, my first, and came across this forum while looking for help installing a cruise control. At least once a week I find myself saying how did he think of that.

Down side though is I see a lot of mods I want to do but the wife reminds me of the pesky mortgage and she insist the kids need 3 meals a day.
Family first, wife happy, then temper your finances/hobby/satisfaction and if she is in the same flavor--haveatit-Good Memorial day

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
rfjeeper

2007 JK Wrangler 

I wasent downgrading what he was doing, to each his own I just wanted him or others reading post that there is a reason why its painted white, he can paint any color he wants its his jeep and more power to every jeep owner for doing something different this is a forum where we share advice sorry if I stepped on someones toes that was not my intention
rfjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.