Ox Locker installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ox Locker installed

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ox Locker installed

Easily the most expensive mod I've done to date:

Ox locker- $900
Locker cable (125")- $140
diff overhaul kit (bearings/races/bolts)- $200
River Raider shifter mounting bracket- $50
Labor- $200 + 6 Red Bull energy drinks
Machine shop (details below)- two cases of Bud Light

Being the 1st JK Unlimited with a rear Ox- priceless In fact, according to Ox, the only other JK version out there is on River Raider's 2dr.

No need to go into details on the assembly and install of the Ox as the Ox instructions are pretty straight forward click here for Ox Instructions- warning, large pdf file!

there is only one problem with the Ox instructions: on page #3, step #6- It appears that you simply screw the cable end into the cover. However you can only screw the cable so far before it disappears into the shift fork. Once the cable is in there, you have no way to hold on to it in order to screw it in further. And at that point, it is only about 1/2 way from where it needs to be. Took quite some time to figure out that you have to remove 2 c-clips that are holding the fork, then unscrew the fork assembly from the diff cover. Once all of that is removed, you can then screw the cable the remainder of the way that is necessary.

Rear opened up and getting ready to start working

Introducing the Ox to my ring gear

Then the BIG problem hit. Some early '07 models (after they switched from D35 rear to D44 in all models) have 1/2" ring gear bolts. Later in '07 (and all since then I believe) have 7/16" ring gear bolts. Well of course Murphy's Law- mine has the 1/2" bolts, and the Ox holes were made for 7/16" bolts. I thought my day was shot right there. There is no way possible a drill press is going to drill larger holes in that Ox- that steel is seriously hardened. Lucky for me, there is a machine shop right behind RockRash4x4's shop, and a couple guys were there working on stuff. George talked to them and they helped us out. Did I mention that the steel is hardened? It took them 3 HOURS and they destroyed 2 endmill bits (I think that's what those bits are called??) drilling out the holes for me. Payment was a case of beer I bought them 2 cases since they saved me!

I won't bore you with the details of routing the cable. Anyone that is interested in seeing the cable run, click on thumbnails:

Cable routed, and shifter mounted- notice the RockRash4x4 custom touch- he powder coated the shifter nob black, but left the knurled portion of the nob un-coated (I love the look). He also powder coated the shifter plate (where the X and O are), then grinded off the powder coating leaving just the X and O in black- a really nice touch IMHO.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Finished

And while RockRash was busy with the technical stuff, I was busy with the non-technical: I painted my jerry can holders black, painted the jerry cans olive drab, and painted my muffler high-temp black

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.

Last edited by N2rock; 05-03-2009 at 06:54 PM..
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Then the BIG problem hit. Some early '07 models (after they switched from D35 rear to D44 in all models) have 1/2" ring gear bolts. Later in '07 (and all since then I believe) have 7/16" ring gear bolts. Well of course Murphy's Law- mine has the 1/2" bolts

Too Cool I just had my rear locker replaced and the Jeep tech told me it was the early 07's like I have that had the 7/16" ring bolts. Mid 07 they switched to 1/2". They had to replace my ring gear also since they could not get a carrier to match my 7/16" holes.
Flame red unlimited Rubicon 5 speed 5-45RFE Auto , 35" KM2's, RCV front axles, 3 1/2" AEV premium lift, AEV snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant,Full River Raider Alum skids, Marchal E-Code Lamps, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer, 09 Mygig w/ipod interface, Katzkin leather, ya its got a Hemi :-)http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/little-upgrade-607325/
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Did you think about regearing since you had it apart anyway?
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's awesome...definitely in my box of future mods.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Did you think about regearing since you had it apart anyway?
Crossed my mind, but I was too far into money already

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Too Cool I just had my rear locker replaced and the Jeep tech told me it was the early 07's like I have that had the 7/16" ring bolts. Mid 07 they switched to 1/2". They had to replace my ring gear also since they could not get a carrier to match my 7/16" holes.
I thought it was the other way around. Mine has a build date of June '07. Terrahawk had the same issue with his '07 when he installed an ARB- the ARB came with 7/16" ring bolts.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Does anybody know the exact date of the changeover? I have a build date of 4/07 and somebody wants to buy my OEM gears.
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
cyberpvnk
2007 JK Wrangler 

The jerry cans and holders look 1 brazilian times better now. Nice work on the OX too.

Looking for a 2DR JK softtop in good condition. Located in ILL.
cyberpvnk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpvnk View Post
The jerry cans and holders look 1 brazilian times better now. Nice work on the OX too.

that made me laugh.

I am jealous

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
jeffmarion
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Does anybody know the exact date of the changeover? I have a build date of 4/07 and somebody wants to buy my OEM gears.
Yours should have the 1/2" bolts but don't hold me too that..
Mine has a build date of 12/06 and has the 1/2" bolts. It may be hit or miss on the 07's.

When I had my 5.13's installed they were tapped for 7/16 bolts and we had to sleeve the bolts/carrier to use them.

EDIT: I thought they went from 7/16 bolts to 1/2 bolts in 07 because they were having problems with the diesels JK's sheering bolts in the ring gear. Thats why my gears were tapped for the 7/16 bolts.
jeffmarion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought it was the other way around. Mine has a build date of June '07. Terrahawk had the same issue with his '07 when he installed an ARB- the ARB came with 7/16" ring bolts.
my build date was Aug 06 and it had the 7/16" ring gear holes. They beefed up the mounting to 1/2" mid year of the 07 builds per the Jeep tech. That was the problem. A lot of the companys did all their prototyping off of the early builds and then Jeep changed up on them.
Flame red unlimited Rubicon 5 speed 5-45RFE Auto , 35" KM2's, RCV front axles, 3 1/2" AEV premium lift, AEV snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant,Full River Raider Alum skids, Marchal E-Code Lamps, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer, 09 Mygig w/ipod interface, Katzkin leather, ya its got a Hemi :-)http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607325
Unread 05-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Dirt_sample

I have an 07', they had to send out my ARB to get it drilled for the 1/2" bolts for the new ring gear.
Dirt_sample is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Anyone with an '08 have any experience to chime in with?

With the amount of ARB's that are being installed, you would think that they would assume that they would be shipping it the way the "majority" of rigs have. So if you go by that assumption, then since they are shipping with 7/16", that would mean everything after '07 has the 7/16".

Sure ia a PITA that us '07 owners have differences. And the only way to know which one we have is to open up the diff and pull the carrier.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #15
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone with an '08 have any experience to chime in with?

With the amount of ARB's that are being installed, you would think that they would assume that they would be shipping it the way the "majority" of rigs have. So if you go by that assumption, then since they are shipping with 7/16", that would mean everything after '07 has the 7/16".

Sure ia a PITA that us '07 owners have differences. And the only way to know which one we have is to open up the diff and pull the carrier.

This is a quote from four wheeler http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...les/index.html

"And don't forget the gears, which are the only gears on the market to have a dual bolt pattern designed to work with one of two possible bolt sizes (midway through the 2007 production, Jeep upped the ring bolts from 7/16-inch to 1/2-inch to accommodate overseas diesel models). Even the installation kit comes complete with both sets of bolts, so no matter what setup you have, you are covered."
Flame red unlimited Rubicon 5 speed 5-45RFE Auto , 35" KM2's, RCV front axles, 3 1/2" AEV premium lift, AEV snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant,Full River Raider Alum skids, Marchal E-Code Lamps, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer, 09 Mygig w/ipod interface, Katzkin leather, ya its got a Hemi :-)http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607325

Last edited by dsy; 05-04-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.