Oversized Spare Tire - Carrying Options - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oversized Spare Tire - Carrying Options

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Not to highjack but JTPhoto and anyone interested, if you are running the stock rear bumper and your 35 is just too tall to let the tailgate close here is another option to remedy that problem until you purchase an aftermarket carrier. Chop Chop, stock bumper mod
Yup I checked that out too but the Pillbulls are still too big unless I actually chop the inner steel bumper frame. I'll just wait till I get a AEV rear bumper with carrier. But thanks for the link.

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Youíre welcome. I also got the AEV setup that youíll be getting and can tell you first hand that it works great plus all the extras that you can add just make it that much better. There is one thing that I donít particularly care for though and thatís the price, but then who does. But youíll only cry once and after itís all installed and working youíll forget how much you paid for it and its only smiles for ever after.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Go Genright:
jeep.jpg  

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

BTW, I like your stubby antenna!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
^^^ You’re welcome. I also got the AEV setup that you’ll be getting and can tell you first hand that it works great plus all the extras that you can add just make it that much better. There is one thing that I don’t particularly care for though and that’s the price, but then who does. But you’ll only cry once and after it’s all installed and working you’ll forget how much you paid for it and its only smiles for ever after.
Totally agree on AEV quality as I already have the front Premium. Hard to explain the quality of welds and workmanship of their products, you have to see them firsthand. The rear really isn't that badly priced for what you get when you start looking at other options. I didn't realize how nice the rear bumper was until I saw one in person.

Back to OPs original questions. There was a fella on here some time ago that fabricated an adjustable plate that went into the hitch receiver. After the tire is mounted to the stock carrier and tailgate is closed the plate is pushed up under the tire and tightened there to support the weight of the tire. The plate had a angled piece on the front which allowed the tire to slide up on when you close the tailgate, so you don't have to move the plate every time you open the tailgate. Good system if you don't need the hitch and you remove the rear bumper plastic.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #21
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

Big Blue,

The best $30 i've spent, ever That is a hard piece of metal, not the rubber style, and I didn't lose ANY reception! Doesn't hit every single solitary twig and branch like the OEM did on the trail
tmattprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmattprice
Big Blue,

The best $30 i've spent, ever That is a hard piece of metal, not the rubber style, and I didn't lose ANY reception! Doesn't hit every single solitary twig and branch like the OEM did on the trail
Not bad at all. Can you share the link?

Unread 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #23
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

Absolutely!

Stubby Antenna on Amazon
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

AntennaX also make a stubby in steel or rubber.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #25
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. The reviews say the reception sucks. Your saying its good as before?

Unread 01-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have never had any issues with reception. Picks up all my local stations fine, Sirius works fine as well (which might be on a different antenna)

No reception loss from my personal experience.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #27
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have never had any issues with reception. Picks up all my local stations fine, Sirius works fine as well (which might be on a different antenna)

No reception loss from my personal experience.
Glad it's working for you! The Sirius antenna is mounted under the radio cover.

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
...The Sirius antenna is mounted under the radio cover.
On the Ď12s I believe itís on top of the b-pillar pass side inboard a bit.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.