Oversized Spare Tire - Carrying Options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oversized Spare Tire - Carrying Options

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oversized Spare Tire - Carrying Options

All,

I hope everyone is gearing up for a great New Year!!

I had a quick question to ask the group:

I have a 2012 JKU that I recently lifted with a RC 3.5", Fuel Krank 17"s, and Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.50x17's. So, now that I have my Jeep the height I want with the right tires, I am debating carrying options for the 5th wheel.

I, unlike most others, do NOT want a rear bumper with spare tire carrier built in. I want to mount the spare on the tailgate so I have one swinging motion to access the rear of the vehicle, rather than opening the carrier, then the tailgate, etc.. I have been researching quite a bit so I realize the OEM carrier is not designed to handle the added weight that the 35" brings. It might work if the vehicle was street driven ONLY, but mine is NOT in that class hahaha.. I use it as it should be used

I have ordered the Teraflex adjustable HD carrier mount, and the Teraflex 3rd brake light extension kit. After much research, their HD adjustable carrier mount can accommodate a 35" on the stock hinges (as they are re-enforced from the factory) without damage.

I guess my real question here is, Teraflex also sells the full hinge mount ($499) to add additional reinforcement and load balancing for the extra weight of the tire/wheel on the gate. Ideally, I would like to purchase this down the road, but in the mean time, with just their HD adjustable carrier mount, has anyone had any issues carrying a 35" with this setup on the OEM gate/hinges?

Those two products are ordered, so i'm going that route. Just interested in any feedback on the necessity of ordering their companion Hinge mount as well. Trying to avoid paying another $500

Thanks all,

Matt

img_0078.jpg  
tmattprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

How much do you wheel?

My 35" Mickey Thompson (very heavy) has been hanging on my stock tailgate for close to 3 years now with no problems at all.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Our carrier DOES open with one movement and NO weight on your tailgate. And gets rid of the "less than desirable" rear bumper.

Unread 12-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your input.

I tend to try and go wheel at least once every couple of weeks, so semi-regularly. I always go slow and ease over obstacles; however, some of the trails are rough by nature, so even going slow, get a lot of jostling and bouncing. I HOPE with the upgraded carrier from Teraflex (without the hinge part) that will be sufficient to carry the 35" for now. I would ideally like to purchase it in the future because not only does it reinforce the brackets, but also adds some mounting points for other accessories, like a hi-lift jack, gas tanks, etc..
Unread 12-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
suicideking
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would call Teraflex and ask. I thought that part was meant to be used with their hinged carrier, not by itself.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

You can uSe that adjustable mount separate but depending on your backspacing on your rim you might not even need it . I run 4.5 backspacing and I have the hinged mount (499) and its a 35 and fits fine. The whole purpose of their carrier is to reinforce the hinges and its kind of odd you just got the adjustable mount without their new hinge mount...

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

A fellow club member just mounted 35" mud grapplers on his factory tailgate mount and it fit into the factory rear bumper without an adapter. If the tire fits snug on the bumper and you put some Daystar bumpstops on the tailgate you shouldn't have a problem. Most spare tire adapters put the tire farther out and increase the leverage on the tailgate. I suggest the TF tailgate hinge support system.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Teraflex sells two spare tire adapters. One does push the tire out about 3". But they sell another that isn't marketed, it is a flat plate that raises the tire a couple inches and doesn't place extra leverage out on the back. For what it's worth...
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the feedback. Yea, I was researching (what I could find anyway) on the carrier options with the Teraflex options. I love the hinged arm, but couldn't stomach $500 at this point. The OEM carrier is cheaply made and I would never strap a 35" on it (just my opinion). I'm hoping with the Teraflex HD carrier (even without the hinge) there will be more metal and it should be more sturdy and built better (less plastic) to hold the extra weight of the larger tire/wheel. Couple that with all the reports of others mounting 35"s right on the OEM carrier without doing anything and I figure I should be fine "for now." I do want to add the full Teraflex hinge carrier, just not right away due to budgetary reasons I plan on putting the tire in as close as humanly possible to the tailgate to reduce the strain on the hinges as much as possible. What are you guys doing for bump stops on the larger whee/tire combo's being mounted up on the OEM tailgate? Daystars?
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

My stock carrier has had a heavy 35" hanging on it for two years now with no problems. It all depends on how much and what degree of offroading you do.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

Very true JS.. I tend to wheel every other weekend, and would probably go more if I could haha.. I do go slow when off-roading as opposed to baja style haha.. So, hopefully with the reinforced teraflex carrier (even without the hinge arm) it will carry the 35" fine for now. What did you do for bump stops? I notice the Teraflex carrier (even if you ordered the full kit) doesn't come with extended bumps to keep the tire from vibrating. Any issues there?
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The problem is not with the factory carrier but the gate hinges and spot welds. If a 35" tire is not supported by something other then the tailgate the tailgate will bend and spotwelds will pull apart. If done right a smaller 35" spare can be carried safely for years on the factory carrier. I carried 35's for about 3 years no problem, however like I said earlier, the weight of the tire was supported on the factory bumper and I had Daystar bumpstops to minimize vibration. Lifting the tire higher and away from the tailgate is what causes the problems.
Try your 35 on the factory carrier, if you can close the tailgate and the tire sits nicely in the arc in the factory bumper you are good to go. My Pitbulls are too tall to fit in the arc in the bumper so needless to say my spare is either in the back or in the garage.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the information JT!

I pickup my spare this Friday, so i'll check out the size/fitment then. I am going to remove the stock carrier regardless and will make the determination after installing the HD carrier from Teraflex whether or not to run it as is, or just sit the components aside until I can order the full hinge kit. I have the Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17x9 Fuel rims. I have noticed the tailgate seems "flimsy" now that it doesn't have the OEM spare on the back lol (not really easing my reservations).
Unread 01-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Not to highjack but JTPhoto and anyone interested, if you are running the stock rear bumper and your 35 is just too tall to let the tailgate close here is another option to remedy that problem until you purchase an aftermarket carrier. Chop Chop, stock bumper mod
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
tmattprice
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's a neat way to mod I hate the OEM bumpers as they are cheap and will be replacing as quickly as funds allow

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.