Oversize spare on OEM carrier. Need more support! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Oversize spare on OEM carrier. Need more support!

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

This has worked for 3 years/w no degrading of the gate/hinges-

Doesn't look to strong-right ?

Doesn't have tobe, it stops the downforce from bumps/ruts/rocks-and the Daystar's stop any vibration !

Tire just slides over the round head carriage bolt, after adjustment-

JIMBO

JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at what JIMBOX did:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...30/index2.html
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Have you tried mounting the spare without the extension bracket?
My 35" tire fits the stock carrier with no modifications other than the Daystar rubber things. The extension bracket will be the thing that causes the gate to be destroyed as it adds a lot of leverage to bracket.

Ok, I'm officially calling myself a ******* on a public forum. When I bought the wheels and tires I just assumed that I would need the extension bracket to mount the oversize spare. Welp, with JLC08JK's suggestion I tried it without. And, of course, it fits. It's snug but it fits. Of course I still think the solution is to add more support to the bottom, get the TF bracket or have a carrier.

Thanks, JIMBOX gonna do that carriage bolt mod and bumpstops until I get the TF Bracket.
Unread 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanx H&L, I think it was a 5/8's x1-1/2" plated carriage bolt-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow View Post
Ok, I'm officially calling myself a ******* on a public forum. When I bought the wheels and tires I just assumed that I would need the extension bracket to mount the oversize spare. Welp, with JLC08JK's suggestion I tried it without. And, of course, it fits. It's snug but it fits. Of course I still think the solution is to add more support to the bottom, get the TF bracket or have a carrier.

Thanks, JIMBOX gonna do that carriage bolt mod and bumpstops until I get the TF Bracket.
put some masking tape under the tire (on the bumper)and "Mark" the closest to ctr for your bolt hole, then put a nylock nut below and above for height adjustment-

It's kewl, especially the "Squeek' sound when you open/close the gate-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
torque77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal

Or.....

Teraflex hinge and your stock tire carrier.

and that's a 35x12.5R17 KM2
Tanimal.....did you need a extension for the 3rd brake light? I'm getting the tf hinge and was wondering that as well if my aftermarket tires(17" rims with 4.5 back spacing on 35s) would fit???
torque77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque77 View Post
Tanimal.....did you need a extension for the 3rd brake light? I'm getting the tf hinge and was wondering that as well if my aftermarket tires(17" rims with 4.5 back spacing on 35s) would fit???
I did not. My 3rd brake light bearly peaks over the top of my tire (refer to build thread) but I am running KM2s and they run fairly small

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #22
torque77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal

I did not. My 3rd brake light bearly peaks over the top of my tire (refer to build thread) but I am running KM2s and they run fairly small
I'll check it out.....thanks!!!
torque77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.