Overseas Jeep (military purchase) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Overseas Jeep (military purchase)

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 05-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Overseas Jeep (military purchase)

So,

I am currently in Iraq. I have an 05 nissan frontier with 50K miles and a 98 Jeep wrangler with 90K miles, both paid off.

In Iraq, the big 3 car dealers, plus harley, give very good discounts. I thought they were tax free, but they are not.

Anyway - They are offering a 2010 JK 4 door rubicon for $32,000 + local state tax. loaded, every option except the GPS.

Good deal?

Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

If they have a diese option, you should get it! I don't know if you can bring it back over here but you'd be the ONLY one with one.

Just playing around on Jeep's website and putting nearly every option on a Rubicon puts the MSRP price at $34,465 so it doesn't sound like you're getting much under that. But demand plays heavily into price so I don't know if you can haggle more.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
nicholsmf
2010 JK Wrangler 

I can't help with the pricing on a 4dr Rubicon but I recently ordered my new JK from the same program you're looking at.

I got the buyers offer from them and sent it to 17 Jeep dealerships withing a reasonable distance from my parent's house. I told each dealer that I wanted to buy a Jeep locally to support the local economy and that if the could meet of match the price on the buyers offer, for a Jeep with the same options, that I would buy from them immediately.

Only 12 responded, and all 12 said I should order from here because they could not beat or match that price. I did the same thing with the Jeep I ordered for my wife and got the same response.

Edited to add:

I just checked the current military rebate and it has drastically went down since I ordered mine. Also, don't forget that you get $500 knocked off the price for loyalty because you currently own a Jeep. If you're taking college courses, another $500. There are lots of different rebates available from Jeep whether you go through the exchange car sales or another dealer.

Also remember that you pay taxes when you pick it on based on the price before any rebates are applied, not on the price you wrote the check for.
Unread 05-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

You'll also have to pay to have the title changed over if your having it shipped to a different state than you're registering it in. I did the same thing and it was about 2k to get the tag (it still hasnt got here and its almost time to renew my registration but thats another story...)
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
JeepnBeer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You may want to check your states tax law on the sales tax issue. In Pennsylvania, you pay taxes on the sales price AFTER rebates have been applied. You also get to take your trade value off the taxable amount.
JeepnBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #6
Sgalway
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_Volkman View Post
So,

I am currently in Iraq. I have an 05 nissan frontier with 50K miles and a 98 Jeep wrangler with 90K miles, both paid off.

In Iraq, the big 3 car dealers, plus harley, give very good discounts. I thought they were tax free, but they are not.

Anyway - They are offering a 2010 JK 4 door rubicon for $32,000 + local state tax. loaded, every option except the GPS.

Good deal?
You might get a good deal over there, but you have to ship it back (cost $$). The big thing thats going to kill you is the emmisions. It is damn near immpossible to bring a vehicle from outside the country into the US permanantly. If you kept Iraqi plates on it all would be good, but try to register it in the states and you will be shocked at the price tag for modifications.
Banks Monster exhaust -- K&N 77 CAI -- 3" Black Diamond Lift
17" Pro Comp Extremes with 35" BFG A/T's
AEV front bumper w/ Warn Powerplant -- Custom safari roof rack
Sgalway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgalway View Post
You might get a good deal over there, but you have to ship it back (cost $$). The big thing thats going to kill you is the emmisions. It is damn near immpossible to bring a vehicle from outside the country into the US permanantly. If you kept Iraqi plates on it all would be good, but try to register it in the states and you will be shocked at the price tag for modifications.
He is probably not purchasing a physical vehicle over there He is just starting the paperwork and it will be built in the states to USA standards.
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
Supernaut
2010 JK Wrangler 

Don't wait a month before you're about to go home and then decide to go ahead with the order. I did and my dreams of having a Jeep waiting for me at the airport with a sign with my name on it have come and gone
Supernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
lang1864
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did this as well. In fact im not even back yet and my wife has already picked it up. The deal i got over here was by far the best deal out there. LIke icholsmf said make sure you tell them you already have or had a jeep and thats worth 500 and so i colege. Depending on what state you live in and where your home of record is you can get the plates and title to work out. IT was a pain but even though im stationed in WA my home of record is in CO. I was able to work it out so it was delivered to WA but i got my title and plates back in CO. IT just takes some work. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions on this.
lang1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
lang1864
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea you just do the paper work over here and they deliver it to where ever you want in the US
lang1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
Sgalway
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
He is probably not purchasing a physical vehicle over there
Very helpful. Thank you for the comment. Nothing in the OP said anything about just doing the paperwork overseas and then picking it up stateside. I travel overseas nearly 200,000miles per year, I know a little about international import/export, customs duties, etc. Just trying to offer advice where I can.
Banks Monster exhaust -- K&N 77 CAI -- 3" Black Diamond Lift
17" Pro Comp Extremes with 35" BFG A/T's
AEV front bumper w/ Warn Powerplant -- Custom safari roof rack
Sgalway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Very helpful. Thank you for the comment. Nothing in the OP said anything about just doing the paperwork overseas and then picking it up stateside. I travel overseas nearly 200,000miles per year, I know a little about international import/export, customs duties, etc. Just trying to offer advice where I can.
Well most people in the military know how this works and more than likely have done it once or twice. The only down side to it is that you cant test drive your vehicle but if you know what you want then your good. ALso you can only get certain brands and they are all american made! Good thing Jeep is included in those brands and so is Harley!
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
-Zona-

I boguht my Mustang from those guys, regretted it because I should have bought used and saved a bundle. I was happy with the experience though.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaJeep View Post
I boguht my Mustang from those guys, regretted it because I should have bought used and saved a bundle. I was happy with the experience though.
I will agree on that but its nice to own one brand new vehicle in your lifetime but I will never buy brand new again. Pretty cool to own something that nobody has ever farted in before though
Unread 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
-Zona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
I will agree on that but its nice to own one brand new vehicle in your lifetime but I will never buy brand new again. Pretty cool to own something that nobody has ever farted in before though
Oh, I totally agree. I've own 2 new cars and one new motorcycle, but regret hits hard when pockets are shallow haha.
-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.