Over extending rear LCA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Over extending rear LCA

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
JoeJackson
2011 JK Wrangler 

Over extending rear LCA

I just installed my Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel lift over the weekend. The whole thing went pretty smooth overall.

The instructions from RK said to put the rear lower control arms to 19 5/8". I had to set these at 20 1/2". What could be the concequence for installing these LCA at a longer length? And how would i make the lower control arms fit if if wanted to shorten them?

Unread 04-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I haven't used Rock Krawler before, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJackson View Post
I just installed my Rock Krawler 2.5 max travel lift over the weekend. The whole thing went pretty smooth overall.

The instructions from RK said to put the rear lower control arms to 19 5/8". I had to set these at 20 1/2". What could be the concequence for installing these LCA at a longer length? And how would i make the lower control arms fit if if wanted to shorten them?
Unless you changed the UCAs, I would assume that by extending your LCAs---your Pinion angle is now very Negative and you'll get a lotta vibration-

Probably Rock Krawlers will tell you pretty quick-

I'm probably wrong !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

What was the reason you had to set them 7/8" longer than recommended?

Is your pinion perfectly inline with the drive shaft at ride height?
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

You aren't giving us enough information. You are asking what the consequence would be to shorten them, without telling us why you HAD to run them longer.
If you had to set then long for some reason, shortening them is going to affect whatever made you set them long...? Help us out here. Lol
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
JoeJackson
2011 JK Wrangler 

When i set the LCA to the recommended length they would not reach the axel, they were way to short. There is a vibration sometimes now in the rear while im driving. I have not driven it very far yet, just around the block a few times.

Ill have to look when i get home but im pretty sure that the pinion is not perfectly aligned from what i remember last night. How can i shorten the LCA and make them reach the axel?
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

You need to rotate the axle to make the arms line up, it pivots. By lengthening the arms you are moving the axle out of alignment with the driveshaft which can create vibs and mess stuff up.

If you remove both lower arms and have a jack under the pinion area you can jack the pinion up and get everything aligned.
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
JoeJackson
2011 JK Wrangler 

perfect. thanks for the help. ill do that as soon as i get home.
Unread 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

It is difficult without a friend. Block the front tires, remove the parking brake and put it in nuetral (level surface). You may be able to roll the axle forward with the tires. Or use a jack under the axle and push it. Or ratchet straps from the axle to frame, etc. lots of options but another set of hands helps.
Unread 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Agreed, I have done it both ways and when you have a buddy to help it does make it go easier. That way one can work on manipulating the axle and the other can stuff the bolts.
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #10
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

unless you have a cardan drive shaft the rear pinion should be paralell to the out put of the trans.

the set up for a cardan

As you lift the jeep the arms tilt in shorting the wheel base a bit. Longer lower set the base a bit longer. But to adust the pinion at that point you need upper ca's.

Rotating the Pininon up rotates the springs and the track bar back, to much and they will contact the rear springs.

exception is the front. You set it for caster over pinion. Since the front in most cases is a NO load it wont viberate unless you are running a lot of gear and the angle is excessive. Off road with load the speed is slowenough to not be a issue. On big lifts it becomes an issue and the only fix is a custom fron axle housing with higher inion angle.
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
It is difficult without a friend. Block the front tires, remove the parking brake and put it in nuetral (level surface). You may be able to roll the axle forward with the tires. Or use a jack under the axle and push it. Or ratchet straps from the axle to frame, etc. lots of options but another set of hands helps.
Ratchet straps are your friend when doing work alone!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Ratchet straps are your friend when doing work alone!
off road too. We have used them to hold a axle in place after the control arm ripped off. If not for the 3" super duty type that would have been a nightmare to get him off that trail that day. We got him to town off a class 9 in cali. then had a guy weld him up. with nothing but the winch hold one side and that strap hold it the other way. i carry two of these every off road ride.
Unread 04-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
unless you have a cardan drive shaft the rear pinion should be paralell to the out put of the trans.

the set up for a cardan

As you lift the jeep the arms tilt in shorting the wheel base a bit. Longer lower set the base a bit longer. But to adust the pinion at that point you need upper ca's.

Rotating the Pininon up rotates the springs and the track bar back, to much and they will contact the rear springs.

exception is the front. You set it for caster over pinion. Since the front in most cases is a NO load it wont viberate unless you are running a lot of gear and the angle is excessive. Off road with load the speed is slowenough to not be a issue. On big lifts it becomes an issue and the only fix is a custom fron axle housing with higher inion angle.
The factory rear driveshaft on mine had a CV on the transfer case. In this case the pinion should be inline with the driveshaft. Operationally it is the same as a dual cardan shaft. The u joint on the axle end should operate at no angle. If you have a single u joint on both ends then they should be at equal angles to cancel out the u joint movement.

If the springs are rotated back too much, you can add synergy coil wedges like I did. It does provide a small lift (1/2") but it keep the coils straighter. If you push the axle back too far you may run the bump stops into the track bar bolt or bracket, depending on the design of the extended bump stop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.