JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Out of free inexepensive mods to do....so bored. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/out-free-inexepensive-mods-do-so-bored-1028425/)

DeepSky 05-08-2010 04:41 PM

Out of free inexepensive mods to do....so bored.

I ended up taking a nap this Saturday afternoon because I had taken care of the stuff I needed to do around the house and couldn't think of any free/cheap mods left that I could do on the Jeep.

I felt like Hank's group from King of the Hill when they realized they didn't have any summer projects left to do and wound up making a 'super homeless person's shopping cart'.

Anyone got any ideas? I've already done the following:
  • Floor mats front and rear.
  • Door sill guards front and rear.
  • Drilled side view mirrors.
  • Bedlined door hinges.
  • Bedlined hood hinges.
  • Replace factory subwoofer with Basslink.
  • Tinted windows front and back.
  • Mounted small shovel to tail gate.
  • Mounted fire extinguisher to driver's side seat.
  • Grab handles front and back.
  • Painted AC bezels, tweeters and soundbar speaker rings.
  • Roll bar mounted mag lite.
  • Relocated license plate & lamp.
  • Mounted PA speaker in engine bay for CB.
  • Spraypainted muffler with flat black hi temp paint.
  • Bedlined and installed Mr Grille front grill inserts.
  • Installed full size Uniden CB on top dash.

I've also recently thoroughly cleaned and detailed the exterior and interior from my last wheeling trip.

DANJEEPO8 05-08-2010 04:47 PM

I got my balls busted for this basically, but i like it.
Might be for you, might not. But it's definitely cheap:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/n...w-pics-965483/

:cheers2:

ricrac 05-08-2010 05:24 PM

mirror flip?

Did you flip your windsheid mounted mirror, supposed to give more vision out the front and rear.Also extending your breathers for tranny,transfer case and front and rear diffs is pretty quick and inexpensive.

kubwa_jim 05-08-2010 05:31 PM

You still need to paint the muffler black with high temp spray paint, bedline the pinch seam, use mesh gutter cover to build grill inserts, build a rack to hold your doors in the garage, install an auxillary tranny cooler, replace the top dash cover with the Daystar cover, and when you are really feeling frisky you can take off those seat covers and cover all your seats with heavy 55 gallon drum liners and then reinstall your covers to make them waterproof (Bye Bye soggy butts).... No more naps, you have a ton of work to do!

When you run out of projects again, let me know. The sickness never ends.

DeepSky 05-08-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANJEEPO8 (Post 9426224)
Might be for you, might not. But it's definitely cheap:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/n...w-pics-965483/

:cheers2:

Hey Dan, I actually remember reading that thread back when you posted it. Pretty cool idea and I almost did it but I decided I needed to keep all 4 vents operational on account of the Florida summer heat. Thanks though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricrac (Post 9426339)
Did you flip your windsheid mounted mirror, supposed to give more vision out the front and rear.Also extending your breathers for tranny,transfer case and front and rear diffs is pretty quick and inexpensive.

Now that's one I hadn't heard of...

Also, is there a writeup for extending the breathers? Or at least what materials to use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kubwa_jim (Post 9426361)
You still need to paint the muffler black with high temp spray paint, bedline the pinch seam, use mesh gutter cover to build grill inserts, build a rack to hold your doors in the garage, install an auxillary tranny cooler, replace the top dash cover with the Daystar cover, and when you are really feeling frisky you can take off those seat covers and cover all your seats with heavy 55 gallon drum liners and then reinstall your covers to make them waterproof (Bye Bye soggy butts).... No more naps, you have a ton of work to do!

When you run out of projects again, let me know. The sickness never ends.

Oh man, there's a bunch of stuff in there that I have done but completely forgot about lol. The axillary tranny cooler is probably a really good idea considering I've heard that "your transmissions is overheating" single ding a few times. What cooler do you recommend?

mclaggan123 05-08-2010 05:54 PM

get a B&M cooler. they are tuff and work great. i got mine at advance auto for $60. It comes with all the stuff you need to install it. i just did mine today.

JIMBOX 05-08-2010 06:27 PM

:cool: You mean, you haven't received the J30 Recall leter, about your Auto xmission ???

:teehee: JIMBO

kubwa_jim 05-08-2010 08:20 PM

Ah, now I see you have the Wet Okoles and not the uber cheap Smittybilts I'm rockin'. You don't need to line yours. Jeep looks great, btw.

1222 05-09-2010 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANJEEPO8 (Post 9426224)

Thatís so true.:rofl: If I were you Iíd not mention that anymore.:shhh:
It was original though.:thumbsup:
:cheers:

trentonsahara 05-09-2010 07:11 PM

If you have the 4 door, take out the (7) 18 mm bolts holding the rear seat down and install 3 or 4 flat washers under each seat bracket - this will recline the rear seat just enough to make it a ton more comfortable. Takes 30 minutes and $10, but you may need an impact wrench to loosen the bolts and most socket sets don't have an 18mm socket, so I had to buy that too.

InfernoGirl 05-09-2010 07:47 PM

You guys can switch the visors to not look at the stickers, too, can't you? Pull 'em off, and swap em. Seat covers are good, um, put some stickers on it. Paint your wheels, paint/trim your flares, make velcro straps to stop the seat belts from flapping in the wind.... That's all I got right now.

fernjack 05-10-2010 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentonsahara (Post 9430767)
If you have the 4 door, take out the (7) 18 mm bolts holding the rear seat down and install 3 or 4 flat washers under each seat bracket - this will recline the rear seat just enough to make it a ton more comfortable. Takes 30 minutes and $10, but you may need an impact wrench to loosen the bolts and most socket sets don't have an 18mm socket, so I had to buy that too.

That sounds like a pretty cool idea , I take it you mean washers just under the front mounts of the back seats ? Thanks :cheers::wave:

JLC08JK 05-10-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernjack (Post 9432692)
That sounds like a pretty cool idea , I take it you mean washers just under the front mounts of the back seats ? Thanks :cheers::wave:

I will try this too!
I personally have never sat in my back seat but on a road trip last summer my friend said that it made the back of his knees sore and cut the circulation to his legs :dunno:
The same road trip is coming up again in July, maybe this will help (him) :thumbsup:

DeepSky 05-10-2010 05:22 PM

I officially have stuff to do next weekend, haha. Thanks guys.

kubwa_jim 05-10-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSky (Post 9436202)
I officially have stuff to do next weekend, haha. Thanks guys.

That's right, back to work slacker!! :2thumbsup:

The time now is 05:03 AM.