Orders to Alaska... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Orders to Alaska...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #46
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgut View Post
I have done it on a move back and forth a couple times. The last time I did it on a motorcycle and enjoyed every minute.
I am going to do the next run in a jeep with a trailer. This way we can explore some back roads.
Drive it.
Hmm. Motorcycle....YOUR CRAZY!

I wasn't planning on driving my jeep at all, but we get a certain amount of days which if I do the right amount of driving they want me to a day (350 miles) I'll have plenty of time to do some exploring. So uhaul my jeep up drive 350 miles get a hotel and EXPLORE! (with my jeep)

Now its time to plan my trip.

240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #47
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
BAS/BAQ/BAH can or cannot be used for this discussion.
Yeah, Sure.

Quote:
But youve got to realize that we work about 11 hour days start to finish
I wish I only worked an 11 hour day.

Quote:
depending on what time you get off and if you want to count from the time one gets up to gets home.
If you want to use that standard...I know people who commute 2+hours EACH WAY to/from work...and that's not counting the time from when they get up until they actually leave the house.

Quote:
for us its not a choice.
Sure it is. You can choose to sign up for it, or not.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #48
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Dbio View Post
Hmm. Motorcycle....YOUR CRAZY!
I did 17,000 miles on a motorcycle (only a 250cc too, not one of these Goldwing land yachts), from AK to Mexico, around the U.S. and Canada and back to Alaska. Nothing crazy about it - you just need to adjust your standards for "comfort" (:
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #49
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Yeah, Sure.

I wish I only worked an 11 hour day.

If you want to use that standard...I know people who commute 2+hours EACH WAY to/from work...and that's not counting the time from when they get up until they actually leave the house.

Sure it is. You can choose to sign up for it, or not.
man you piss me off, we dont get paid overtime, we also work weekends and whenever they call. Thats theyre fault for living so far away, and yea I do agree that we did sign up for it, but when asked we dont have a choice.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:03 AM   #50
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
man you piss me off
I have that effect on a lot of people.

Quote:
we dont get paid overtime, we also work weekends and whenever they call.
So do lots of people (myself included), who do not get tax-free allowances for food, housing, and whatever. For that matter, if a private employer were to pay employee A less than employee B simply because employee A has no "dependents" while employee B does, there would be all kinds of lawsuits involved.

Quote:
yea I do agree that we did sign up for it, but when asked we dont have a choice.
Again - you had a choice. America isn't (currently) like various other nations where you don't have a choice whether to serve in the military.

Also, please note that my comments are not directed at the notion of "who deserves what for what life choices they make." My comments are addressing post #33, where it was said:

Quote:
Dude, We pay just as much into taxes if not more than the average civilian. Why I say "if not more" is because our taxes are taken right outta our paychecks every month.
I'm arguing against the notion that military members pay "just as much if not more taxes than the average civilian" given that a goodly portion of their compensation is tax-free (quality of the food and/or housing and/or healthcare aside). But even aside from that - how does a military dude making $50K/year pay more in taxes than grocery store employee making $50K/year, everything else being equal? As if there is some special tax military people pay that everyone else doesn't? News to me.

Militaryman's comment just makes no sense - esp. the part about their taxes being taken "right outta our paychecks every month." Like the average civilian doesn't have taxes taken out of their check every month too? Come on.

Last edited by waterboarder; 03-15-2010 at 05:30 AM..
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #51
Bgut
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I wasn't planning on driving my jeep at all, but we get a certain amount of days which if I do the right amount of driving they want me to a day (350 miles) I'll have plenty of time to do some exploring. So uhaul my jeep up drive 350 miles get a hotel and EXPLORE! (with my jeep)
That was the first move up and back, I did the minimum of 350 miles. I had my wife and 3 children at the time and it makes for an easy day. When I went up and back on the bike I did considerably more miles per day. The last day we did a little over 1100 miles, my wife wanted to sleep in our own bed. It wasn't crazy at all as stated here. I was on my BMW R1200c cruiser, my wife was in a Miata. I also had no deadline so I was able to go anywhere I wanted.
My next ride I want to go up in the jeeps through BC on the western route. I want to go to places like Hyder AK, Chicken AK.
Make sure you have a camera ready all the time.
I haven't seen it mentioned, did anyone tell you to get the Milepost magazine to help with the planing. It can tell you about places closed, and may make a difference on when to get a fill up. I haven't looked in a while it may also be on line.

Enjoy the experience.

Last edited by Bgut; 03-15-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Bgut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #52
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I haven't seen it mentioned, did anyone tell you to get the Milepost magazine to help with the planing. It can tell you about places closed, and may make a difference on when to get a fill up. I haven't looked in a while it may also be on line.
If you do end up driving... just keep in mind there's only 2 24 hr gas stations (one is credit card only) between Ft St John BC and Whitehorse YT. I doubt there's any after Whitehorse until your in AK somewhere. So the thing is... once you reach the Alaska Highway, get gas at every major center. If you're hauling a trailer, you might want to hit some of the smaller stations in a couple of spots as well. Going a few hundred miles (200+) without a gas station is not unusual - and the prices you'll find at those will be quite high.

PM me if you have questions.
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #53
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I want to go to places like Hyder AK, Chicken AK.
Make sure you have a camera ready all the time.
I went through Chicken, AK last summer. There is nothing to see there. The road sucks. The view sucks because most of the trees have all been burned down by a raging wild fire recently. All in all, it was a waste of gas (:
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #54
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
If you do end up driving... just keep in mind there's only 2 24 hr gas stations (one is credit card only) between Ft St John BC and Whitehorse YT. I doubt there's any after Whitehorse until your in AK somewhere. .
There is one in Haines Junction (YT), and the last one is at Beaver Creek (YT). The next one after that is in Tok (AK).

But yeah, gas up often and carry 20 gals with you at all times. Water too.

Secret tip - if you carry 20 gals with you, you can use that to fill yourself up at Beaver Creek and save yourself a LOT of money (gas is very expensive there) - and then fill up again at Tok.
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #55
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I went through Chicken, AK last summer. There is nothing to see there. The road sucks. The view sucks because most of the trees have all been burned down by a raging wild fire recently. All in all, it was a waste of gas (:
You are a very negative person.
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #56
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
There is one in Haines Junction (YT), and the last one is at Beaver Creek (YT). The next one after that is in Tok (AK).

But yeah, gas up often and carry 20 gals with you at all times. Water too.

Secret tip - if you carry 20 gals with you, you can use that to fill yourself up at Beaver Creek and save yourself a LOT of money (gas is very expensive there) - and then fill up again at Tok.
Thanks for the tip. not so negative comment
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #57
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have that effect on a lot of people.

So do lots of people (myself included), who do not get tax-free allowances for food, housing, and whatever. For that matter, if a private employer were to pay employee A less than employee B simply because employee A has no "dependents" while employee B does, there would be all kinds of lawsuits involved.

Again - you had a choice. America isn't (currently) like various other nations where you don't have a choice whether to serve in the military.

Also, please note that my comments are not directed at the notion of "who deserves what for what life choices they make." My comments are addressing post #33, where it was said:

I'm arguing against the notion that military members pay "just as much if not more taxes than the average civilian" given that a goodly portion of their compensation is tax-free (quality of the food and/or housing and/or healthcare aside). But even aside from that - how does a military dude making $50K/year pay more in taxes than grocery store employee making $50K/year, everything else being equal? As if there is some special tax military people pay that everyone else doesn't? News to me.

Militaryman's comment just makes no sense - esp. the part about their taxes being taken "right outta our paychecks every month." Like the average civilian doesn't have taxes taken out of their check every month too? Come on.
Gotcha, I guess I just got off track. I dont think you understand how mad I got throughout today and all the things to say to you, but your rebuttal to that comment does make sense. Sorry to have thrown this thread off track
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #58
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha, I guess I just got off track. I dont think you understand how mad I got throughout today and all the things to say to you, but your rebuttal to that comment does make sense. Sorry to have thrown this thread off track
Fair enough (:

And FWIW, I did my 8 years - so.....there you go (:
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #59
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fair enough (:

And FWIW, I did my 8 years - so.....there you go (:
I figured you had been in the military. dont know why but the way you were talking/knowledge/perspective made me think so.
Unread 03-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #60
Bgut
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Isn't that why we buy jeeps? To go to out of the way places others don't, on real sucky roads.
Chicken is one of the places I would like to see, burned or not. By the time I get every thing ready and planned out, there will most likely be a forest again.
If it becomes a real tourist trap like some of the places around here in Colorado then I will stay away.
Thanks for the heads up.
Bgut is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.