Orders to Alaska... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Orders to Alaska...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
If the moving company wants $100 to move your crap, and the tax payers pay you $95 to move it yourself, but the moving company WOULD have charged you only $50 to move your crap had you not gamed the system to maximize the shipping charges in the first place (and statements that indicate you're interested in maximizing the wieght in the Uhaul certainly qualify as gaming the system - "I'll end up getting more money the more weight i have in the Uhaul from uncle sam. I wont install anything until i get there"), you're still screwing the tax payers out of $45, not saving them $5.
It's time taxpayers start taking care of the military. He isn't "cheating the system" The military will pay to move him and his personal possessions up to XXXX lbs. based on his rank. anyhting over his perscribed weight, he would be responsible for, not the "taxpayers".

He pays his taxes out of every paycheck, in addition, when he files his Dity move the Government will charge him over 20% TAXES on his DIty allowance.

He isn't screwing taxpayers.

Load up your Uhaul (and one additional vehicle is you choose) with as much of your personal items as you want.

ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #32
albatross
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I say drive it. Of course, I'm a big fan of driving so my opinion might not be as objective as others. However, each time I PCS'd I drove and I never regretted it.

If you decide to get the Uhaul then I'd probably do what you mentioned and throw the parts in back and put them on when you get there. I'm assuming you're single and dont have much stuff to begin with. You could use the extra weight.

Out of curiosity, how do you like Lewis? I'm in NC and looking for a change of scenery.
albatross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #33
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Dude, We pay just as much into taxes if not more than the average civilian. Why I say "if not more" is because our taxes are taken right outta our paychecks every month.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #34
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
I say drive it. Of course, I'm a big fan of driving so my opinion might not be as objective as others. However, each time I PCS'd I drove and I never regretted it.

If you decide to get the Uhaul then I'd probably do what you mentioned and throw the parts in back and put them on when you get there. I'm assuming you're single and dont have much stuff to begin with. You could use the extra weight.

Out of curiosity, how do you like Lewis? I'm in NC and looking for a change of scenery.
I'm actually at mcchord and I try to avoid Lewis...we are "joint" now. Not really though. I've been on base it seems nice, but with the shootings along with multiple issues i hear from security forces, I only go when needed. the area is great though. Endless amount of out doorsy things to do around here. Ski slopes an hour away.
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #35
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
Dude, We pay just as much into taxes if not more than the average civilian. Why I say "if not more" is because our taxes are taken right outta our paychecks every month.

I take the "if not more" as we are ready 24 hours a day to go anywhere away from our families for a job we might not believe in but will do it to the best of our ability, I would say without complaining but if I am not complaining then I am not happy lol

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:16 AM   #36
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I say ship it, its not worth it to rack up the extra miles and carry the extra weight around. Mess with the DITY calculators and see what you get. Personally I hate driving and what I would do is get one of those PODs that movers drop off, you load up and they ship. Buy tickets for your family all covered by the government and go. I dont know how your TV will turn out in the end or if they will cover it. But if it were me, I wouldnt lug it behind our Uhaul.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #37
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
...and how much tax are you paying on that BAS and BAQ - and other such goodies, which comprise a goodly portion of pay?

In unrelated news - having driven into and out of Alaska a total of um....8 times that I can remember - my view is that it isn't nearly as interesting as people seem to make it out to be. Given the option and availability, I'd save myself the time and fly up - and let someone else move all my crap.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #38
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

BAS/BAQ/BAH can or cannot be used for this discussion. For those who make 2k 4k in BAH but are forced to live on base or decide to, definitely do not get their money's worth. BAH for some at Ft Hood would have only been $970. But youve got to realize that we work about 11 hour days start to finish depending on what time you get off and if you want to count from the time one gets up to gets home. I get up at 5am and dont get home until 7 pm sometimes. BAS I dont know if its Tax free or not

You really want to put things up to perspective? Military members were only getting $25k-$80k+ depending on rank while contractors were getting 120k + while deployed. Pretty sure most people you couldnt pay them enough to be away from their families for that long, for us its not a choice.
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:12 AM   #39
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

well said Terrible2

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #40
albatross
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Dbio View Post
I'm actually at mcchord and I try to avoid Lewis...we are "joint" now. Not really though. I've been on base it seems nice, but with the shootings along with multiple issues i hear from security forces, I only go when needed. the area is great though. Endless amount of out doorsy things to do around here. Ski slopes an hour away.
Well, I'm Army, so I'd end up at Lewis. I hadnt heard about the shootings; that really sucks. I've got family in the area so I've considered PCSing there at some point. Maybe I'll look into Ft Carson instead.

Good luck and have fun in Alaska
albatross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:14 AM   #41
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Dbio View Post
I just received an assignment to Alaska. I'm debating on either getting my jeep shipped or driving the 2400 miles threw Canada. Decisions decisions. If i deiced to drive I'd probably want a roof rack to haul stuff along with me. Any who i have a hard top and I don't want to drill into my hardtop. Any opinions on what type of easy install roof rack to get.

Thanks,

P.S. I have this nasty crack that when I noticed it was already past the length of a dollar. It slowly continues to grow.
I would drive the Jeep to Alaska, turning the trip into wilderness, expedition drive. Carry a tire repair kit, good air pump, and pull a trailer instead.

Post some pics afterwards.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #42
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What shooting at Ft Lewis? I hear Ft Carson and Ft Lewis are great duty stations. I may want to try for Alaska someday, I dont know how that would work out especially since being in Hawaii its so warm.
Unread 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #43
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fort Lewis shooting leaves 2 dead - CNN.com

U.S. soldier Joshua Tabor waterboards his daughter, 4, because she couldn't recite alphabet: police

there was another one where a guy had his car loaded with guns and ammunition, but ended up shooting himself in the parking lot. That might have been at fort hood. I cant remember.

The post above is only what I know for sure happened at fort lewis
240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #44
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

The roof is not strong enough to support a rack.
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #45
Bgut
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have done it on a move back and forth a couple times. The last time I did it on a motorcycle and enjoyed every minute.
I am going to do the next run in a jeep with a trailer. This way we can explore some back roads.
Drive it.
Bgut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.