Orders to Alaska... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Orders to Alaska...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

On another note...I'm sure stuff will be pricey to ship to alaska. I'm wondering if i should buy all my stuff here. For one more weight bumpers ect. and I wouldn't have to worry about the pricey shipping. What ya think?

240Dbio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #17
berjepalon
2008 JK Wrangler 

Stationed in Juneau with the Navy / Coast Guard D17 back in 2002-2004. Just wife and I back then, shipped one vehicle allowed and drove cross country from Norfolk in her Grand Cherokee and took the Alaska Ferry from Washington state heading north. Leaving Juneau 2 years later, took the ferry north then drove through the Yukon and then the Alaska Highway through BC down through Vancouver at the US border.

Awesome place. Miss Alaska alot. Driving south on one rock strewn section of the Alaskan Highway the Grand Cherokee took a baseball sized rock to the windshield. Small crater and didnt crack. The Jeep overall was great for the drive. My wife refused to wash blue beauty for a month even after we arrived in Florida....Alaska plates with top to bottom dried mud.
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

IMHO, I would ship the jeep, and drive up in the Uhaul, if you want to do the DITY.
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by berjepalon View Post
Driving south on one rock strewn section of the Alaskan Highway the Grand Cherokee took a baseball sized rock to the windshield.
Yeah there's one small section that really sucks.

I'm not sure about shipping to Alaska, but shipping to the Yukon is expensive for the heavy stuff. Alaskans might get a better price.
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Dbio View Post
On another note...I'm sure stuff will be pricey to ship to alaska. I'm wondering if i should buy all my stuff here. For one more weight bumpers ect. and I wouldn't have to worry about the pricey shipping. What ya think?
Bad move. If you buy stuff up here, you'll still be paying for shipping - and a LOT for it too. Shipping costs are built into everything you buy, and they ain't cheap. If I were you, I would buy whatever I wanted while you're still down there because if you do it after you get here, you'll be paying through the nose for shipping. If you have any desire for bumpers, winches, a supply of tires, or anything else that weighs much more than a paperclip, buy it before you come and bring it with you.

And yeah - watch out for that guy on the scooter. He'll run your *** over AND return fire.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #21
DaveinHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd vote for driving. I lived in Alaska for a year a long time ago and it's the most beautiful place I've ever seen and I've seen alot. The drive from Tacoma would be fantastic.

- NRA Life Member - Licensed to Carry and Do.
DaveinHouston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:07 AM   #22
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I might be misunderstanding this but, if you are buying the bumpers and what not for the jeep for weight you actually weigh the jeep before packed and after packed so weigh the Jeep before you put those items on then install the items and pack the jeep then weigh it again

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #23
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnev View Post
I might be misunderstanding this but, if you are buying the bumpers and what not for the jeep for weight you actually weigh the jeep before packed and after packed so weigh the Jeep before you put those items on then install the items and pack the jeep then weigh it again
I'm sorry. I might have rambled. I'll end up getting more money the more weight i have in the Uhaul from uncle sam. I wont install anything until i get there. Plus shipping rates from companies to ship parts to alaska im sure will be outrageous. I think i've cleared thigns up.
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLJ View Post
Watch out for a man in a yellow jacket riding a scooter.
I got that, and it is pretty true.

Good luck with the move to Alaska. I say just pull a small trailer, and make the drive.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #25
CarolinaPoetic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i just got stationed in south dakota and made the 2 thousend miles drive from north carolina with a freind it was worth it driving threw national parks and seeing everything. also it was a good time to hang with my best freind minus girls and issues and all that bull crap.
Unread 03-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #26
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm sorry. I might have rambled. I'll end up getting more money the more weight i have in the Uhaul from uncle sam.
You could always try AVOIDING taking advantage of the situation and sticking the TAXPAYERS with the biggest bill possible for moving you and all your stuff.

I know, I know - most people stick it to the government as much as possible when they PCS, but what they usually fail to understand is that they are actually sticking it to the taxpayers. You have the opportunity to avoid this.
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #27
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Actually...its sticking it to the company. They pay you 95% of what they are willing to pay a moving company. I'll avoid my tax dollars along with yours going to a moving company.
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #28
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Actually...its sticking it to the company. They pay you 95% of what they are willing to pay a moving company. I'll avoid my tax dollars along with yours going to a moving company.
If the moving company wants $100 to move your crap, and the tax payers pay you $95 to move it yourself, but the moving company WOULD have charged you only $50 to move your crap had you not gamed the system to maximize the shipping charges in the first place (and statements that indicate you're interested in maximizing the wieght in the Uhaul certainly qualify as gaming the system - "I'll end up getting more money the more weight i have in the Uhaul from uncle sam. I wont install anything until i get there"), you're still screwing the tax payers out of $45, not saving them $5.
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #29
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have been in the military for 16 years now and they have gotten alot of out of sometimes it is nice to get something out of them . My wife and I are PCS'ing from Oklahoma to Washington state and she wanted to get a uhaul and my thinking was this.... if I tow a uhaul with the jeep my mileage will go even further down the drain and I will not come out ahead if we just drive both vehicles the 30 something hours it is gonna take to get up there.

She wanted me to tow her vehicle (dodge nitro) with the Jeep which would really suck

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
240Dbio
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
If the moving company wants $100 to move your crap, and the tax payers pay you $95 to move it yourself, but the moving company WOULD have charged you only $50 to move your crap had you not gamed the system to maximize the shipping charges in the first place (and statements that indicate you're interested in maximizing the wieght in the Uhaul certainly qualify as gaming the system - "I'll end up getting more money the more weight i have in the Uhaul from uncle sam. I wont install anything until i get there"), you're still screwing the tax payers out of $45, not saving them $5.
The dilemma is saving money on shipping for (jeep parts) The cost of everything in Alaska is more expensive then the states. If you could get a washer/dryer for lets say 1500 total in the states, but travel to alaska and have to pay 2k, but you were able to drive it up yourself....I think the obvious solution would be to buy in the states and ship it up with you. I'm not buying useless items. "I'm just trying to find that website with free shipping". It's not like I'm weighing my Uhaul down with sand bags. I might be twisting it with in my brain to make it morally right....and I have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.