optic armor windshield? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > optic armor windshield?

BDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRuffstuff 10 year saleRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

optic armor windshield?

Is this company legit or just another vendor who doesnt respond? Sent a pm weeks ago with no response, i need something because jeep glass is complete ****, im tired of wasting money on garbage and i could care less if its dot approved or not. Look at the garbage that is dot approved. 3 windshields in 10 months is a bunch of horse****. Im wondering when optic armor will have another sale.

rubicon17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Perhaps your PM got lost in the shuffle somehow. I would try them again and even try giving them a call to bypass the waiting for a response; couldn’t hurt anyways.

Is it safe to say you’re a little pissed?

(2011-2016)
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lol! Yes very. I sent them another pm but noticed they havent been on since the 6th. Tried calling the number on their webpage to but no go.
Unread 01-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

I bet jeeps thinking is we will put **** windshield and headlights, so people run into more things at night, we sell more jeeps. ****ty windows we sell more 650 dollar mopar glass to insurance companies. Seriously glass on my lap driving to work. **** you jeep. Wish toyota still had solid axle pickups.
Unread 01-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
I bet jeeps thinking is we will put **** windshield and headlights, so people run into more things at night, we sell more jeeps. ****ty windows we sell more 650 dollar mopar glass to insurance companies. Seriously glass on my lap driving to work. **** you jeep. Wish toyota still had solid axle pickups.
My last window was hit by what looked like 3/8 bolt, luckily it hit near a corner. It penetrated a hole about size of a pencil but did not go through. glass every were inside on my lap.

Now that replacement is cracked #3.

Their web page shows its 380$ plus the glue 36$ i would bet shipping wont be Amazon Prime. I wonder what they charge to ship it? This is not DOT, but then again they have not updated that since the glass Co. lobby it. Safety one could not compare it as these windows are so much stronger, when hit like some have seen it would bounce off. I would bet that if you rived it as well as glue so it can not pop out it would make the A pillar stronger as well. In a extraction they cut the a pillar low and fold the front over, so that is no reason to have glass, in your eyes.
Unread 01-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I would bet that if you rived it as well as glue
I pondered along that line as well - but not certain enough that drilling wouldn't some how effect one of its huge strength properties - contiguous surface area of tensile strength. Just like machining metals - little stresses at the hole edge start surface failure in the tension.

Some form of clamping bracket across the top and down the pillars would probably perform better...

Sorry for your difficulties ... but hmmm - that's who I was gonna call when my already chipped windshield starts to concern me enough to replace it... so thanks!
Unread 01-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

It just doesnt even seem safe , its paper thin and definatly not quality like old rigs were. My xj i can knock on the glass and just the sound difference you can tell its not junk. Yea these are flat and more straight up but wow just hard to believe they can even use that on todays vehicles with all the safey stuff and .gov they have to go by, what a load of bull. Hope i hear from them soon, i plan on just having a glass company install it like normal.
Unread 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
i plan on just having a glass company install it like normal.
Check first. Most will say no dot marks no install. Every one I asked did. that's one of the reasons I've waited. BUT recently I have found a new friend who can assist me diy and watched him do a regular JK glass professionally.

So I feel like I slept in a Holiday Inn Express on that task....

Look at the glass this way. In "across the spectrum of owners" engineering (which DoT controls via NHTRSA recommendations). It must provide protectioj in the most extreme of events for the majority of foreseeable events.

It MUST be soft enough to absorb some energy or it will deflect it all. Its not strong enough to support the a pillar and winshield frame - but it MUST be strong enough to SLOW down - not stop - the energy absorbed via deflection of material. If too rigid a single roll retains enough momentum energy for a second roll event to occur - that second event is onto an already compromised structure - not twice, not thrice but over seven times more likely to produce personal injury!!! So best design is enough to collapse in the correct time frame of events and conclude absorption of momentum in the first roll!
And it should wrap itself around an object large enough to do fatal instant injury - like suddenly hitting a 65lb coyote becomes deadly. The balance leaves some things that seem unsafe - like a bolt can still pass through - BUT that bolt is not likely to do as much damage as a 60lb chunk of tractor trailer tire tread... so the focus is NOT on preventing pierce - its in structure and VISIBILITY in that order - then pierce.

BUT again that's how you have to engineer for the MASSES - simply because of the rules of averages - in insurance payouts, injuries and deaths from differeing crash events... balanced with cost to produce, engineer and test!
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

A bolt is like a bullet hitting, a chuck of tire has way more surface area. The window is complete junk and should be banned for safetly. The glass should be 2x as thick and laminated. They dont care about safety, just whatever goes through and its bs. Its like if seat belts were mounted with a 2mm screw, might as well. Its holds driving down the road why not.
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Okay. I'll buy that.

Shame they wasted all that money on engineering and crash testing and brought nothing but waste to the big picture of the production. That made it a more expensive piece of crap. I'm sure when the shareholders find out how badly the board wasted the money, lowering the dividends and share value they'll vote to fire the board...
please let us know if you ever contact vendor!
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #11
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Typical liberal response. Its **** just like the head lights,clock springs and electrical system. Nothing is made with reliability and and quality here anymore.
Unread 01-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Crash testing is pointless, im going to make a video of putting on a glove, punching my hand straight through and then ask why at 70mph a rock the size of a penny would penetrate the window, good thing the kid wasnt in the carseat. Might as well fold the window down and hit the freeway.
Unread 01-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Liberal, funny. ��
? - if neither the penny sized rock nor the truck tread could bring any more than 140mph velocity to the impact (2 * 70 head on), and that velocity of the object is in a constant state of decline, and in a head to head comparison v remains constant comparable how can the lower mass of the bolt bring more energy at collision? And how can the bolt come through like a bullet? I'm no ballastics expert but I believe the bullet is spinning, has less decline in velocity and thus disperses its energy into a much smaller point of direction - ricochet.
Logic is being challenged so we throw the politics card to trump. Good one.
Unread 01-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #14
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

Im not here to argue, a smaller especially hard object focuses the engery. Same reason a bullet penetrates better than a brick. I wonder if i can get a custom piece of glass cut somewhere? If i had a chsnce to get a chip fixed it would be nice, but ive never been able to they just shatter and spread, its so thin its flexible.
Unread 01-18-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
DragoonLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i install windshields for a living, what brand glass is in your jeep? Im really surprised that a bolt actually penetrated the windshield. I have never seen anything but large objects penetrate laminate glass, sounds like an extreme one in a million occurrence. As for there being a strength difference in certain windshields determined by what sound they make when you tap on them, that's false. All laminate glass is basically the same, the sound difference comes from the size and curve of the glass. I replace windshields in jeeps all the time not because of cheap glass, its because the windshield is largely at a vertical angle and has less of a chance to of deflecting objects off and over the top of the car. Its just the styling of the jeep which makes them new windshield magnets.
DragoonLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.